Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Already MeTV is going to start playing Christmas episodes of all their shows every night. At least last year, they waited until the day after Thanksgiving to do that.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Already MeTV is going to start playing Christmas episodes of all their shows every night. At least last year, they waited until the day after Thanksgiving to do that.
Why don't all channels just wait until at least the day after Thanksgiving to air Christmas programming.It seems like if you show Christmas stuff for all of November and then all of December,people will get tired of it before Christmas actually comes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why don't all channels just wait until at least the day after Thanksgiving to air Christmas programming.It seems like if you show Christmas stuff for all of November and then all of December,people will get tired of it before Christmas actually comes.
This is why I battle with my mom every year on holiday decorations: I hate summer as much as she does, but every year she insists on putting up Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations in the middle of August to "help cope with the rest of summer," but I keep arguing that by the time those two holidays actually come, we'll be sick of the decor. She still has Halloween lights up and she refuses to take them down because she insists they're for "the fall season."

This is one of the reasons I don't have a lot of Thanksgiving decorations myself: between the excessive decorating beforehand for Halloween, and then the following month with Christmas, I need a break inbetween.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This is why I battle with my mom every year on holiday decorations: I hate summer as much as she does, but every year she insists on putting up Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations in the middle of August to "help cope with the rest of summer," but I keep arguing that by the time those two holidays actually come, we'll be sick of the decor. She still has Halloween lights up and she refuses to take them down because she insists they're for "the fall season."

This is one of the reasons I don't have a lot of Thanksgiving decorations myself: between the excessive decorating beforehand for Halloween, and then the following month with Christmas, I need a break inbetween.
Why do you hate summer,Is it because of the weather?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes. I do not tolerate heat, and where I come from, it can get anywhere from 90 to 110 in the summer; luckily, we haven't gotten into the 100s for a few years, which is nice. Still, I love fall and winter.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yes. I do not tolerate heat, and where I come from, it can get anywhere from 90 to 110 in the summer; luckily, we haven't gotten into the 100s for a few years, which is nice. Still, I love fall and winter.
Same.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not even Thanksgiving and there's already an old people on Facebook Click-bait Nontroversy about how some company selling Christmas themed crap isn't Christmasy enough.

Yeah. I'm talking about those Starbucks cups that clearly they didn't want to pay some Illustrator to design. Some (to quote Leela from Futurama) fat holiday idiot rants about something petty on Facebook to get 15 minutes of fame for pandering to the exact news outlet you'd expect (because 24 hours of news needs padding somehow), and it becomes a thing. The Halloween merchandise hasn't hit 75% off in some places, and already we have our first "Politically Correct libruls are hurting our inescapable materialistic holiday that hasn't disappeared yet" "news" story. :rolleyes: Do I have to go list now? Yeah I do.

• The cup is still red and green. Christmas colors. And no doubt they'll be serving some peppermint coffee hot milkshakey thing soon enough. No blue and white colored cups for latke and chocolate coin flavored coffees, and...whatever Kwanzaa is. Still Christmas.
  • It's abundantly clear that Facebook is where angry, bitter old people go to whine about the very same young people the site was invented for.
  • They gave an obnoxious dudebro who basically makes a career out of ranting on petty crap on FB a national platform and justification for his existance. So, how isn't he a Fox News contributor yet?
  • There are places in the world even saying you're a Christian gets you killed (as even a very specific branch of the same religion but not the one of the guys killing you gets you killed), and they're whining about no generic holiday ephemera is on a coffee cup? That's not even first world problems. That's just...dumb.
  • On that subject, where are the Christians being outraged that there's all these hungry, homeless or about to be homeless families who could really need some Christian charity? Oh that's right, they're not acting like babies over something idiotic, and thus not asking for publicity.
  • And at the end of the day, it's Starbucks. Starbucks is essentially McDonald's for the Yuppies who buy cage free eggs not knowing that cage free means "let them out of the cage for an hour." Who the heck cares what they do?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dude, I said this in the rant thread, everybody's making a big deal about these Starbucks cups because D'ump and Bristol Palin started it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes. People who are genuinely awful and the furthest thing from Christian railing on it is about as surprising as it sounds. The comedy news shows got it right. This Nontroversy is the ramblings of a complete d-bag (he looks like one, he has the d-beard and everything and looks like Nega-Kevin James) who was just desperate to seek attention by picking an easy target for the 45-70 year olds that use facebook to whine about and for the obvious "news" outlet to jump on. And it worked. He has all these awful people on his side and there's no doubt they'll scoop him up for a contributor position on...well...the obvious place.

Still, the thing that bugs me is the thing is still red and green. And it's Starbucks. I just absolutely hate Starbucks, and the only time they were of use to me was when they had those finger puppets impaled on candy sticks (we all know the Muppet ones, but they also had some nice Looney Tunes ones). Other than that, never cared, never liked them... red and green cups are still cashing in off of the Christmas season. I never liked this whole "War on Christmas" thing because it's all commercial no matter who's trying to give it a religious slant. There's nothing to sell on religious days of fasting and reflection. Not to mention that Christmas as we know it is totally American a holiday. By which we took customs from other countries, made it our own, and made it bigger louder and not quite as good. But that's another thing for another time.

Now the thing that I'm more annoyed with is there's obviously an unspoken war on Thanksgiving waged by Christmas profiteers. And like I said, this isn't even new. Before the day settled into the fourth Thursday in November, retailers were pushing to make the holiday earlier so there would be more time for Christmas shopping. I forget exactly which president did this in what year and settled on a major screw you to the retail industry at the time making it so late in the month, but it was much earlier than we think. Now, I get the idea of pushing the gift giving season earlier so they can spread out the time to shop for those who don't really have the money to blow all at once. That's the same logic that starts back to school shopping the second kids get out of classes. Of course with school shopping, that one's kinda necessary... And sure, Thanksgiving doesn't sell anything but plates, food, and tacky decorations. But I like the period in between Halloween and Thanksgiving as a nice pause between holidays, since there isn't the rush between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Still, the thing that bugs me is the thing is still red and green.
Yeah that was my first thought too. It's still X-Mass colors. Unmistakable.

Well anyway, I always preferred Dunkin Donuts, both for drinks and breakfast food. And incidentally, their cups have a wreath that says "Joy" in the middle, hehe.