Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
This is what happens when you overkill Christmas and you get started too early: by the time Christmas Day is over, you're sick of it and snap out of the Christmas spirit overnight - even though it's pretty much still the Christmas season up until New Year.
Up until Twelfth Night. If we celebrated the season the way some of Europe and South America still do, we'd properly be festive from mid-December through Jan 6. (This is the way I do it.)

Censored

Reaction score
This is what happens when you overkill Christmas and you get started too early: by the time Christmas Day is over, you're sick of it and snap out of the Christmas spirit overnight
That’s absurd. People are just conditioned to stop celebrating after the day everyone was anticipating is over. It has nothing to do with when it got started.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That’s absurd. It has nothing to do with when it got started.
As always, you're wrong.

When it gets started does play a major factor with it . . . this is why so many people in retail are sick of listening to Christmas music by the beginning of December, because they've had to listen to it all November long.

Conversely, when you have those who don't even start celebrating till a week, or even days before Christmas Day, then put everything away the day after, of course they're going to feel short-changed and wanting more, because they didn't get much time to enjoy it.

Censored

Reaction score
As always, you're wrong.

When it gets started does play a major factor with it . . . this is why so many people in retail are sick of listening to Christmas music by the beginning of December, because they've had to listen to it all November long.

Conversely, when you have those who don't even start celebrating till a week, or even days before Christmas Day, then put everything away the day after, of course they're going to feel short-changed and wanting more, because they didn't get much time to enjoy it.
That’s not it. Christmas Day has become the anticipated event in our culture. A lot of it has to do with our own childhood memories of Christmas morning and that of children today. After that day is over, many are just not feeling it the same way, regardless of when the season started. You know, I’ve heard of Scrooges who simply hate Christmas, I’ve heard of people using Christmas as a political football, but I’ve never heard of anyone so obsessed with trying to dictate WHEN people should be allowed to celebrate Christmas as you.