1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    Our forum upgrade is on schedule for Saturday May 25 at 9 am central, 10 am eastern. The forum will be off-line for a minimum of eight hours.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaseytheMuppet, Nov 5, 2013.

1. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

And it looks like the radio station here has already flipped back to their regular music.

newsmanfan likes this.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you overkill Christmas and you get started too early: by the time Christmas Day is over, you're sick of it and snap out of the Christmas spirit overnight - even though it's pretty much still the Christmas season up until New Year.

3. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

Up until Twelfth Night. If we celebrated the season the way some of Europe and South America still do, we'd properly be festive from mid-December through Jan 6. (This is the way I do it.)

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  4. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

That’s absurd. People are just conditioned to stop celebrating after the day everyone was anticipating is over. It has nothing to do with when it got started.

5. D'Snowth

As always, you're wrong.

When it gets started does play a major factor with it . . . this is why so many people in retail are sick of listening to Christmas music by the beginning of December, because they've had to listen to it all November long.

Conversely, when you have those who don't even start celebrating till a week, or even days before Christmas Day, then put everything away the day after, of course they're going to feel short-changed and wanting more, because they didn't get much time to enjoy it.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  6. Censored

Censored Well-Known Member

That’s not it. Christmas Day has become the anticipated event in our culture. A lot of it has to do with our own childhood memories of Christmas morning and that of children today. After that day is over, many are just not feeling it the same way, regardless of when the season started. You know, I’ve heard of Scrooges who simply hate Christmas, I’ve heard of people using Christmas as a political football, but I’ve never heard of anyone so obsessed with trying to dictate WHEN people should be allowed to celebrate Christmas as you.

7. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

i mean...it ultimately depends on the individual person

we usually don't take our decorations down until at least january

8. MWoO

MWoO Well-Known Member

All I know is Christmas starts earlier and earlier each year. It's 362 days away and my neighbors already have Christmas decorations up!

:o

9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Huh, absolutely ridiculous! ;)

10. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Same.

11. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

And then you have this ironic version of "Silent Night" :halo::

12. snichols1973

Good old "Franksgiving", when FDR temporarily moved Thanksgiving a week earlier to help boost retail sales, which caused confusion with 23 states and D.C. celebrating on the new date of the 4th Thursday (later the 3rd), 22 on the old date of the 5th Thursday (later 4th), and 2 states celebrating turkey day on both the next-to-last and last Thursday.

Afterwards, the fourth Thursday would become the designated date for Thanksgiving, which in some years leads to a few extra days of Black Friday shopping in November, so I guess we can blame or thank FDR for the Black Friday effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franksgiving

13. D'Snowth

All I can say is, I'm not much of a fan of when there's an extra "limbo" week of November after Thanksgiving Day, because then that just causes even more problems, especially with people who feel it necessary to put up Christmas immediately after Thanksgiving, even though there's still like a whole extra week of November left.

14. snichols1973

According to John Candy's IMDB profile, I don't see anything about him ever having portrayed Frosty:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001006/

The Legend of Frosty the Snowman features the voices of Bill Fagerbakke, best known as Patrick Star on SpongeBob SquarePants and Michael "Dauber" Dybinski on Coach as Frosty, and the late Burt Reynolds as the narrator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Frosty_the_Snowman

15. snichols1973

16. Bugaloosfan

Bugaloosfan Member

I just got random stuff, My youngest brother got me a Sparky Firefly stuffed animal from The Bugaloos for Christmas, I also got money, gift cards, socks, pajamas, the paperback book series of Harry Potter, 2 dvds and 2 more books called The Christmas dolls and Look for Me by the Moonlight