Chris Langham Muppet Show episode missing on Disney+

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I doubt JHH would even come to streaming due to the licensing rights.
And if we're being real, I don't think it'd even be worth releasing from a commercial standpoint. The show had such a hollow feeling to it and had much less charm than normal Muppet productions. Though all the MuppeTelevision portions are up on Youtube for anyone who is interested, same with the entirety of Muppets Tonight.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I doubt JHH would even come to streaming due to the licensing rights.
Considering Disney just collaborated with Henson for Earth to Ned (and how they got Kermit back in Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy), there might be something there that would allow the two to strike a deal for this particular series. Say what you will about music rights, but keep in mind that there are far fewer episodes of JHH (and Muppets Tonight) with less music, so there's less of that work to do.

It doesn't seem likely, I will concede to that, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I thought about is that Disney just didn't want to confirm the reason to Toughpigs while they did confirm the lack of Brooke Shields is music rights issues. They could have lied and said both were due to music rights, how would the fans be able to check on that (they didn't even say what songs from the Brooke Shields episode they couldn't clear, though we think it's "We're Off to See the Wizard").

But if they did say it was music rights (whether true or not), fans would probably question whether that was truthful or not, considering what we know (and it seems to have been discussed by fans a bit more lately, before TMS came to Disney+).

jobi71

Reaction score
One thing I thought about is that Disney just didn't want to confirm the reason to Toughpigs while they did confirm the lack of Brooke Shields is music rights issues. They could have lied and said both were due to music rights, how would the fans be able to check on that (they didn't even say what songs from the Brooke Shields episode they couldn't clear, though we think it's "We're Off to See the Wizard").

But if they did say it was music rights (whether true or not), fans would probably question whether that was truthful or not, considering what we know (and it seems to have been discussed by fans a bit more lately, before TMS came to Disney+).
The issue with the rights for the music in the Brooke Shields episode could conceivably be resolved, and then the episode could be added to Disney +. I don't think they're expending any effort for the Langham one. It would be nice if the whale Friendship number could be extracted and paired with some other animal rights/environmental bits of other Disney franchises.

DMHFan

Reaction score
The issue with the rights for the music in the Brooke Shields episode could conceivably be resolved, and then the episode could be added to Disney +. I don't think they're expending any effort for the Langham one. It would be nice if the whale Friendship number could be extracted and paired with some other animal rights/environmental bits of other Disney franchises.
Or even better, "Friendship", "Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner", and "The Gnu" themselves could be in the extras section of The Muppet Show on Disney+!

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Or even better, "Friendship", "Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner", and "The Gnu" themselves could be in the extras section of The Muppet Show on Disney+!
If only they'd release the Playhouse Video compilations, Children's Songs and Stories has Friendship, The Gnu, and scenes from the Brooke Shields episode (I wonder if they'd need to renegotiate those, considering they had cleared the rights for the original home video releases).

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
I was upset at first, until I've find out why that episode was dropped. YIKES!😱

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Old topic is old. I saw the Chris Langham episode on some website or another, and I have to say, it was not the strongest episode of the whole series. And I liked the JHH, my favorite being the Health and Fitness episode (mainly becaue Smokey Robinson sings "Just to See Her" in it, which is one of my all time favorite songs). I only found out about Langham a couple of years ago (my sister told me about it), and I can definitely understand why Disney+ wouldn't air it, considering their Family Friendly reputation.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'm with you. I had heard that the Chris Langham episode was really fun but it ended up being rather forgettable. It makes you realize how the guest star can really make or break TMS. Langham just doesn't have much charm to him, and I thought this even before I heard what he did.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well. That's understandable. Besides, The Muppet Show's not the only show on Disney+ that's missing episodes. I've read that some shows like Smart Guy, The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, and Andi Mack also have missing episodes that aren't on Disney+.

By the way, where did you hear that Joe from ToughPigs talked with Disney about the Chris Langham episode not being on Disney+? Any proof?
And don't forget about the "Dinosaurs" episode "A New Leaf." Thank goodness for the DVD.