CGI & other advances: GOOD/BAD?

bluedreamer

Reaction score
<<I don't care what you say. Look at Willow, and it's just a clone of Tolkien's story anyway. Lord of the Rings is the greatest fantasy film ever made, and it did not get carried away with CG in the slightest. It used it when necessary (the Cave Troll for example), but the reason the film worked so well is that Peter Jackson completely respected the story and he was the perfect person to bring the books to life.>>

I completely agree with you there! Although I am a big fan of Harry Potter too and loved every minute of it. I swear I want a Firebolt of my own and watching that movie made it seem so effortless and real....

Anyhow, may I say that despite CGI's faults and flaws I love it, without it, most "scenes of the imagination" would not be possible. I loved Shrek and I looooved Final Fantasy especially the way they made her hair move in the wind, the reflections in the water, the dream like effect to me feels like an out of body experience... but that's my opinion. I'm not particularly picky about how well it's done as opposed to how well it could have been done. I'm one of those people that are soo glad that we are actually getting these type of movies at all!!! I still think this world lacks a lot of imagination and some still fear it, but it's good to see it making a break through. There was a time when only "nerds" enjoyed these things.... but now it's spread amongst the "common folk"! And it wasn't that long ago either...

But on the other hand, movies like the Princess Bride, would I have it any other way? No sirreeeeee.

On the subject of Peter Jackson ..... I wonder in what light muppet fans view his previous works?? Or is that something we shouldn't mention here?

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by bluedreamer
On the subject of Peter Jackson ..... I wonder in what light muppet fans view his previous works?? Or is that something we shouldn't mention here?
what? you mean "Meet the Feebles"? i don't think most people realize that was the same guy. i for one think the movie is hilarious, and plan to buy the DVD as soon as i can track it down again! (i saw it ONCE, and didn't have the extra $10 on me...yes, it was only $10...man i shoulda bought it then...) ever since i saw it that first time, i've thought of the Feebles as that weird relative that the Muppets just don't talk about...and considering the "weird level" of the Muppets, that's saying something.

bluedreamer

Reaction score
Yep, I'm talking about "Meet the Feebles". I saw it on video ummmm must have been 6 years ago and I haven't seen it anywhere since. It would be intersting to see if you can get it over the net. At first I was digusted and insulted by it but a side of me found it funny too, you can see where he got the ideas from.

Yeah maybe you're right and they don't realise that it's the same guy!

$10! Bargain, you should have grabbed it! What were you thinking?? okies even if its U.S. dollaroooos .....
:smile:

grail

Reaction score
$10! Bargain, you should have grabbed it! What were you thinking?? okies even if its U.S. dollaroooos .....
it was the same week that Lord of the Rings and Wrath of Kahn (Special Edition) came out on DVD...i had to choose. i'll find it someday, this i vow!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
CG, animatronics, traditional puppetry and old-fashioned special FX all have their place. The problem, as I see it right now, is that CG FX are being used as a fad rather than a necessary tool. I think there will be a resurgence of more traditional FX and solid filmmaking (not revolving around audacious shots) when the audience finally gets bored with the medium.

Computer FX are here to stay, but I feel a balance will come in time and it will be used as merely a tool to be used because the should, not just because they can.

Just how this frogboy sees it. :wink:

DirthNader

Reaction score
Youknow, I've heard of Meet the Feebles, but have yet to see it or even find it for that matter. I didn't know Jackson was behind that one. I have to agree about LOTR, though. It was fantastic. I had trouble with the scene at the ford. It could have been left alone, but I think it was changed to appeal to a female audience as well.

As far as CGI is concerned in that film, however, it was masterfully done, and cgi does have the benefit of being more fluid in motion; case in point: the cave troll.

Gosh, I started this thread in the hopes that I would hold firm on my stance of CGI being a threat to the intergrity of films. Looks like I have a few things to think about, but then that's why we're here, to get the oppinions of others and to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly about the whole thing :embarrassed:

I do think, and to this I will hold firm, that makeup and special visual effects are changing...being sort of pushed forward and it worries me that the talent of skilled artisans will be replaced by quicker and less costly computers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep, I'm talking about "Meet the Feebles". I saw it on video ummmm must have been 6 years ago and I haven't seen it anywhere since.
Wasn't that an episode of Pinky and the Brain?

Reguardless, I thought Shrek and Monsters Inc were both deserving of that award. I'm so glad they shut out Jimmy Neutron. It's just cheasy Saturday morning type CGI (technically correct, since it was in actuality a preview for a cartoon series). And at least Monsters Inc won for best song. Randy Newman's first award.

But it seemed that the award was a CGI baised! This year, the only CGI film (so far) was Ice Age (I liked it), so I don't think the award will be given this year.

But I'm always up for new techniques in animation, computer or otherwise. WHat's really cool, is this new cartoon show made for TV made entirely in flash! It's called Mucha Lucha! It's kinda like Doug, and shows like that, only the entire cast is composed of Masked Wrestlers.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Lord of the Rings is the greatest fantasy film ever made, and it did not get carried away with CG in the slightest. It used it when necessary<<<

The problem I have with LOTR(besides being one of only a few films I have ever seen where the film ends so abruptly, youd think the projectionist fell asleep or something) is that *OF COURSE* people are gonna say its the best film of the year or of all time. The three films are 300 million collectively, so I mean when a studio pumps that much money into a film they'll make sure with the right PR and hype that no one will be able to say otherwise. I mean it was a very visual, visceral, and violent film...but it didnt even make my top ten list of last year. I will say there was just enough interest to get me to see it in theatres...cant say the same for Potter.

>>>On the subject of Peter Jackson ..... I wonder in what light muppet fans view his previous works?? Or is that something we shouldn't mention here?<<<

Im pretty sure we can mention Peter Jackson's micro budget 1989 cult hit Meet the Feebles. It's funny, he went from making films on a $10,000 budget to a decade later making films on a $100 million dollar budget. There doesnt need to be a decorem or anything on MC that says you need to wince or balk at 'upsetting' or controversial satires of the Muppets be it a cartoon in bad taste(eek, another Peter Jackson reference)
or a show or film. Yes, I hated Meet the Feebles and Greg The Bunny...but more so because of the sheer cheesiness of it than anything I found offensive.

>>>CG, animatronics, traditional puppetry and old-fashioned special FX all have their place. <<<

Indeed, most industry movie people will tell ya the same. Cgi just happens to outshadow them all. But man puppetry and animatronics look sweet if intergrated right.

As for Final Fantasy...like my other top picks that get slammed(Toys, Matrix, Jedi, MTM, etc) it is another rare gem example of pure imagination. One thing people will notice from my film picks is a theme of visually astonishing, creative, and imagination filled.
While these are the more innocent themed films(In Matrix, Toys, Muppet films etc its about the protagonist believe in himself and achieving against odds to realize dreams)
I also have a deep admiration for other visually astonishing films like Belly, The Insider, Heat, Se7en, Fight Club, One Hour Photo and The Cell. Im a sucker for MTV cutting edge visuals, heh

bluedreamer

Reaction score
<<but it didnt even make my top ten list of last year. I will say there was just enough interest to get me to see it in theatres...cant say the same for Potter. >>>

Oh man, you shatter me, you shatter me.... I guess you just gotta be a fan (I confess I saw LOTR 6 times at the movies and Potter 3 times).

<<Yes, I hated Meet the Feebles and Greg The Bunny...but more so because of the sheer cheesiness of it than anything I found offensive. >>

Interesting, I would have thought it the other way around? But it's good to hear Muppet fans opinions...I always wondered.

<<As for Final Fantasy...like my other top picks that get slammed(Toys, Matrix, Jedi, MTM, etc) it is another rare gem example of pure imagination. >>

OK all's well now. :wink:

Isn't it wierd how protective you get when you hear other people's opinions? Or is it just me??? mmmmm maybe just me....

<<Wasn't that an episode of Pinky and the Brain?>>

Was it? I don't know! But what Beaker said pretty much summarises what it is. It's literally (what I can remember) puppets made in similar likeness to certain muppets, and yes it's satirical, a bit gross (but funny if you have a twisted mind like mine). Grail is just going to have to find it and buy it and give us a proper run down again!

Let it be your mission young Grail!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Paraphrasing bluedreamer's question, Was Meet the Feebles and Episode of Pinky and the Brain?

It was, actually entitled All you need is Narf. It takes place in the 60's and Pinky becomes Maharishi (sp) so brain can steal some sort of plant from India in a plan to take over.. well, you know.... The Feebles are a parody of the Beatles (of course), and Pinky loves their music, and Brain messes this one up by introducing the John Lennon character (Jim Lemmon, I think) to Yoyo Nono (Yoko Ono! get it?) Can't remember much, but at the end Pinky yells (ala Rinog Starr) "I have Blisters on me fingers, bwah ha ha.. NARF!!!