Caroll Spinney & Martin Robinson

minor muppetz

Reaction score
has anybody noticed that a lot of characters that were performed by caroll spinney and Martin P. Robinson are often paired together?

here are some examples:
Big Bird (Spinney) and Mr. Snuffleupagus (robinson)
Oscar (spinney) and Telly (robinson)
Oscar and Slimey (robinson)
Big Bird and Telly
Oscar and Irvine (robinson)
Oscar and Snuffleupagus

And one thing that's interesting is that most of martin Robinsons characters were originally performed by other performers: Telly was originally performed by Brian Muehl, Snuffy was originally performed by Jerry Nelson (and then by Michael Earl Davis), and Slimey was originally performed by Michael earl davis.

Splurge

Reaction score
No question about it, those two performers just work well off of each other.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah. I started a thread a few days or so ago about frequent pairings including Spinney and Robinson. Maybe you didn't see it though.

And also, I would not consider Oscar and Snuffy a duo. Same with Telly and Big Bird even though they have interacted.

Big Bird and Snuffy, YES
Telly and Oscar, YES
Oscar and Slimey, YES

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
And also, I would not consider Oscar and Snuffy a duo. Same with Telly and Big Bird even though they have interacted.
Well, Big Bird and Telly have interacted a lot, although I guess they would be a duo in the sense that Elmo and Rosita are a duo, that Cookie Monster and Big Bird are a duo, or that Telly and The Count are a duo; Characters who have appeared together often, but not as a duo in the same way that Ernie and bert are a duo.

I guess you are more right about Oscar and Snuffy. For some reason I was thinking that they have had a lot of screen time together, but i guess not too much. I guess not even as much as Big Bird and telly have.

I have read that Oscar interracted with Snuffy quite a bit after he was first seen by the adults. I have also seen an episode from season 30 where it is Lindas birthday and Snuffy is practicing conducting a special birthday song that everybody was singing in sign language (because Snuffy couldn't use sign language and wantyed to be part of the song). There was a scene where he was talking to oscar while practicing when Linda suddenly showed up and Snuffy needed to find a hiding place and went into Oscars trash can (this effect was done with some editing so all that the viewer saw was snuffys tail go into oscars can.... hmm, that would have been a funny way for him to leave when nobody except big bird saw him).