Calling All Writers--Input Wanted

CarburetorJane

Reaction score
Well, this is how I look at it: The Muppets are just actors. They get interveiwed for the work themselves and how it was to work with Whoopie Goldburg, etc, instead of (usually) Steve, Dave, or Eric, etc now.

So none of their work is "true" in that since, but everything's just how it is, a movie or TV show, scripted and acted out.

Except for the "behind the scenes" stuff in Muppets Tonight and The Muppet Show. They just tape the live thing. See? Reality TV!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
We never knew it. We've been watching the start of "Reality TV" for years!! *giggling*

That's a really good way to put it CarburetorJane!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes... The old debate about Muppet continuity and realism between all the productions.
Well, I'd say TogetherAgain's Flippersteps is a good fanfictional story attempting to tie it all in neatly.

But regarding the movies... There was some realism and some fictionality interwoven between them all. Remember Kermit and Robin's lines when TMM's screening started.
Robin: "Uncle Kermit, is this how the Muppets really got started?"
Kermit: "Well... It's sorta kinda that way."
And I think it's both a theater show and a taped TV show at the same time.

Sorry if this doesn't answer anything.

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
My point of view on these various questions:

The Muppet show, I think, was both a Television Program with Cameras backstage (rather like a reality show), AND an actual show put on for a paying audience who only saw the stage.

TMM was a fictionalized account of how the Muppets met. The real story did not have the presence of Scooter, Doc Hopper and his associates, Beaker (who Bunsen Probably hired later as an assistant, remember, he wasn't in season one) and possibly Sweetums.

Muppets Tonight is a behind-the-scenes look at a (live) TV show.

TMTM is total fiction, with the exception of the Marriage Moment, which is real and cannon. Because Kermit did not sign any papers they are Not Legally married, despite Piggy's insistance otherwise (they probably remedied that situation about 20 years later). I think we can all agree that TGMC is "just a movie" as well.

IAVVMC is cannon as well. The Kansas section of the MWOO is not