Brand licensing experts say MUPPET SHOW is #1 for revival!

John Takis

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been reported.

A survey at the Brand Licensing Europe 2010 conference chose "The Muppet Show" as the TV show with the best licensing opportunities should it be revived. It won handily with 35% of the vote. "Star Trek" was No. 2 at 24%.

Also in the survey, "Sesame Street" placed as the No. 2 most successful TV brand of ALL TIME, with 26% of the vote, following "The Simpsons" at 31%.

Details here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/22/the-simpsons-merchandising

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the survey. Very interesting indeed.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been reported.

A survey at the Brand Licensing Europe 2010 conference chose "The Muppet Show" as the TV show with the best licensing opportunities should it be revived. It won handily with 35% of the vote. "Star Trek" was No. 2 at 24%.

Also in the survey, "Sesame Street" placed as the No. 2 most successful TV brand of ALL TIME, with 26% of the vote, following "The Simpsons" at 31%.

Details here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/22/the-simpsons-merchandising

That is very wonderful news i hope that with this survy that they will make more interest for people to know how impoertent the muppets and sesme street are to world culture not only American culture .
i hope that they will not only release the rest of the muppet show on DVD , but also blu ray . they have done the complte series for fraggle rock they need to do a blu ray release for it as well since Blu ray is set to take over DVD at some point .

Luke

Reaction score
I hopefully should be attending Brand Licensing. With Muppet Show even being included as an option for revival, i would guess that a big part of Disney's focus at the show will be The Muppets, and TV as well as the film.

zns

Reaction score
It just doesn't get any better than that. Now if only Fraggle Rock were on the list as well. :smile::insatiable::smirk:

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
It just doesn't get any better than that. Now if only Fraggle Rock were on the list as well.
Well, it is coming to The Hub in October....... SO, that may garner some more interest :wink:

tiggergirl19

Reaction score
I guess Jim Henson has done what no one person could and probably will never do, world domination trough peace and no violence. He probably would have made a ton of money if he didn't die at a young age. I think that the muppets are the most popular thing in the world, probably more popular than the other "things" or people who think that they are popular.

beaker

Reaction score
I guess Jim Henson has done what no one person could and probably will never do, world domination trough peace and no violence. He probably would have made a ton of money if he didn't die at a young age. I think that the muppets are the most popular thing in the world, probably more popular than the other "things" or people who think that they are popular.
Well while sadly the Muppet brand is nowhere near as popular as it should be in America(sadly namebrand recognition with kids, even Kermit, seems very low compared to Barney) there's no doubt the worldwide impact of Jim Henson's legacy after 55 magical years of the Muppets. And while I am sad that "Elmo" is the face of Sesame Street, it delights me no end that the show is not just still on the air but that localized versions of it are shown in some of the most impoverished war torn nations in the world.

I definitely feel we'd have less wars, hate and hostility if everyone was raised on some form of the Muppets(especially Fraggle Rock, but also Sesame, Muppets, Bear in the Big Blue House, etc)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well while sadly the Muppet brand is nowhere near as popular as it should be in America(sadly namebrand recognition with kids, even Kermit, seems very low compared to Barney) there's no doubt the worldwide impact of Jim Henson's legacy after 55 magical years of the Muppets. And while I am sad that "Elmo" is the face of Sesame Street, it delights me no end that the show is not just still on the air but that localized versions of it are shown in some of the most impoverished war torn nations in the world.
Snicker... Barney is being pushed off PBS (at least my local one). No one cares anymore. If he disappears the same way Teletubbies did, I'm gonna be thrilled.

As for Sesame Street, well, I think they ARE making strides in putting forth OTHER characters and making shirts specifically for older fans (can someone PLEASE explain why they have a shirt where every character has mustaches on them?). But there still is Elmo overload. I wonder if we're gonna get anything when Hasbro takes over SS's license.

But above all, I wanna see more Muppet stuff. Good stuff. Not just the same Kermit and Animal shirts. Why is it that the Chef is so popular, but you can't get a shirt with him on it?

beaker

Reaction score
Snicker... Barney is being pushed off PBS (at least my local one). No one cares anymore. If he disappears the same way Teletubbies did, I'm gonna be thrilled.

As for Sesame Street, well, I think they ARE making strides in putting forth OTHER characters and making shirts specifically for older fans (can someone PLEASE explain why they have a shirt where every character has mustaches on them?). But there still is Elmo overload. I wonder if we're gonna get anything when Hasbro takes over SS's license.

But above all, I wanna see more Muppet stuff. Good stuff. Not just the same Kermit and Animal shirts. Why is it that the Chef is so popular, but you can't get a shirt with him on it?
I still have my Beaker and Electric Mayhem shirt from 2003 at Hot Topic:smile: Beaker and Chef are cult faves, but still do not have much stuff with them on it.

Wait, Hasbro is taking over Fisher Price? SWEET. Man I'd to finally see some REAL, non infant toys and merchandise.
I like how Target has a bunch of new Sesame shirts, but I don't get the intentionally faded look.

Ha, the mustache thing is a popularized internet/hipster meme.
I like how Sesame is trying to market to the hot topic emo youth and the urban outfitters indie hipster scenester college kids.
I want to see the floodgates on GOOD Muppet and Sesame shirts...bring on the yip yips, mahna mahnas and BORK BORKS!

Btw, did you see all the Fraggle Rock beanie hats at Spencers? I got the Fozzie furry hat too.