Big Bird got the name "Hooper" RIGHT?

mikealan

Reaction score
In the early Sesame Street days, Big Bird used to get the name Mr. Hooper wrong, because he calls him "Dooper", "Sooper", "Scooper", "Blooper", "Looper", etc.
When Mr. Hooper died, Big Bird sadly looks at his drawing of Mr. Hooper as he sadly says, "Y'know, I'm gonna miss you, Mr. Looper."
After Mr. Hooper died, he still calls Hooper any "ooper's" besides beginning with an H.
Today, on the Elmo's World days, as I watched classic Sesame episodes from 2000 of Sesame Street Re-paved on Noggin, he certainly got Mr. Hooper's name RIGHT! How does he do that?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
mikealan said:
he certainly got Mr. Hooper's name RIGHT! How does he do that?
Practice. He's had 30+ years to practice getting that name right!!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
mikealan said:
In the early Sesame Street days, Big Bird used to get the name Mr. Hooper wrong, because he calls him "Dooper", "Sooper", "Scooper", "Blooper", "Looper", etc.

And he got the name right ONCE back in 1969 as well.

In the episode from 1969 when he transports his birdseed on the wagon back to his nest, he actually calls Mr. Hooper by his correct moniker.

Yes, I was quite shocked to hear that as well, but you got to realize that everything on SESAME STREET was weird back in those days. In that episode, I have NO clue why Big Bird's voice sounds so peculiar.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
In that episode, I have NO clue why Big Bird's voice sounds so peculiar.
On alt.tv.sesame-street, someone once mentioned that one of the 1969 shows on SSU had Big Bird being voiced by Jim Henson. I put two and two together, and have deduced that the episode he was referring to was indeed #83 (the one you mentioned). If that's true, then it explains why Big Bird's voice is so weird in the episode.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Jeffrey Gray said:
If that's true, then it explains why Big Bird's voice is so weird in the episode.
Nope...it's still Caroll Spinney. He just hadn't fleshed out the character to well at that point. He was still playing him as a dim bird.

Censored

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
And he got the name right ONCE back in 1969 as well.

In the episode from 1969 when he transports his birdseed on the wagon back to his nest, he actually calls Mr. Hooper by his correct moniker.

Yes, I was quite shocked to hear that as well, but you got to realize that everything on SESAME STREET was weird back in those days. In that episode, I have NO clue why Big Bird's voice sounds so peculiar.

Actually, there was at least one other episode where Big Bird got Mr. Hooper's name right several times! If you can, look at the episode from Noggin where Mr. Hooper asks Big Bird to open the store for him and Big Bird is afraid. Big Bird actually says his name correctly numerous times.