Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hee, yeah. I guess that's what I was getting at: there are male Muppets like Pepe and Rizzo who flirt with ladies all the time. Then Muppets like Fozzie don't do that but still swoon when lovely ladies are the guest stars. Scooter doesn't do either.
Mmmmm, well, he was the one who suggested that Raquel Welch NOT change her sex-symbol image.

I like it that Scooter is somewhat ambiguous. I'm not sure his character, as presented in the productions made so far, really lends itself to any sort of relationship, aside from the occasional, somewhat child-like flirtations, as with Raquel Welch and in IAVMMCM.

And, I don't mean to be rude, but is this what this thread is really about? I thought it was about debunking speculations, not promoting them. I seem to recall a thread I started years and years ago when I was a dumb kid that was exactly this, and it has since been deleted... and for good reason!

sweetpig

Reaction score
Richard Hunt as Scooter

Re Scooter swooning over beefcake guests and cage dancing... wasn't Richard Hunt his puppeteer? Richard was both proudly gay and proudly out, wasn't he? Or am I tired and is it late? :coy:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Re Scooter swooning over beefcake guests and cage dancing... wasn't Richard Hunt his puppeteer? Richard was both proudly gay and proudly out, wasn't he? Or am I tired and is it late? :coy:
Well, to say Scooter was gay strictly because Richard was doesn't work. That would be like saying Max Bialystock of The Producers was gay because he was played by Nathan Lane. Or, for that matter, that Will of Will and Grace was actually straight because Eric McCormack played him.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, to say Scooter was gay strictly because Richard was doesn't work. That would be like saying Max Bialystock of The Producers was gay because he was played by Nathan Lane. Or, for that matter, that Will of Will and Grace was actually straight because Eric McCormack played him.
I follow. Still, Scooter was based on Richard Hunt's own personality. I still don't think they need to change anything with Scooter that hasn't been done already for the same reasons that I wouldn't want him to become a lady's man like Pepe. Scooter works great as is. :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I follow. Still, Scooter was based on Richard Hunt's own personality. I still don't think they need to change anything with Scooter that hasn't been done already for the same reasons that I wouldn't want him to become a lady's man like Pepe. Scooter works great as is. :wink:
I agree with you there fully, Jamie. My point really wasn't to dispute that Scooter's personality is very much a young Richard, as he stated. Just that, as you say, Scooter works great as is.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there fully, Jamie. My point really wasn't to dispute that Scooter's personality is very much a young Richard, as he stated. Just that, as you say, Scooter works great as is.
Exactly. I actually enjoy the ambiguities in Scooter. Most people don’t think about it, but he’s the Muppet that reveals less than the others. What does he do when he’s not at the theater? It’s harder to guess with him and I enjoy that. It's also how he keeps the upper hand.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Exactly. I actually enjoy the ambiguities in Scooter. Most people don’t think about it, but he’s the Muppet that reveals less than the others. What does he do when he’s not at the theater? It’s harder to guess with him and I enjoy that. It's also how he keeps the upper hand.
Hehe! You know, I was thinking that, too, but couldn't figure out how to word it well (I did use the word ambiguous, but...). I love that about him! He's kind of like an observer in many episodes of The Muppet Show, and loving it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hehe! You know, I was thinking that, too, but couldn't figure out how to word it well (I did use the word ambiguous, but...). I love that about him! He's kind of like an observer in many episodes of The Muppet Show, and loving it.
It's also why I wasn't disturbed by his alternate universe cage dancing in VMX. He's the energetic young Muppet with a lot of stuff going on. :wink:

I've missed that character. He holds the fort at the Muppet Theater and is a major factor missing from the characters' dynamic. Clifford, Pepe, Rizzo and Gonzo just don't do the trick the way the orange dude does.

Drtooth

Reaction score
He was a pain in the neck to recast, after all. You can't really blame them. Wonder why the heck it took them so long to go with someone who's been recasted as Richard's characters before.