Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

That Announcer

Reaction score
I'm just reading all of this now, and I'm really amazed! You not only remember everything in complete and total detail, but you make it into a really great story. I can't wait for Part 3!

-TA

minor muppetz

Reaction score
do/ did you get residuals for your performance in that scene, or did you only get paid for performing the first time?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
do/ did you get residuals for your performance in that scene, or did you only get paid for performing the first time?
I only got paid for performing the first time since we didn't speak. It was a pre-recorded track.

Which reminds me of another off-topic story...

I was at the Sesame Street taping of "Beat the Time" with Grover and they did the entire bit to a pre-recorded track. This surprised me as it was all dialogue, but Jim told me that Guy Smiley was so rough on his throat from all the screaming, that it had to be pre-recorded so they could do multiple takes. The problem with that is, trying to lip-sync to a pre-recorded dialogue track took them many, many takes to get right. There's still at least one or two places in the finished bit where you can see the mouth movements are off, especially on Grover.

:stick_out_tongue:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow. That's very cool to know that Guy Smilie was rough on Jim's voice. I can believe it, but it sure is good to know the Muppeteers get sore throats from vocies too, not just I.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Oh this is one awsome thread to have on here at Muppet Central. Can't wait for more to hear from our online shorse. (sorry for the spelling) I've always loved Grover. He would be pretty cool to preforme. Did you ever get to?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
This is fascinating, I love reading your posts WOE and can't wait 'til your next post. What I'm curious about now (and maybe this is for a different thread), is more about you. Were you around a lot after TMM? Did Jim let you in on any other projects even if it was just to visit the set? Were you able to attend his funeral? And what do you think of the Muppets and the direction they're headed in now since Jim died? Keep these great little tid bit side stories coming too please, they're great.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Sometimes that's the case, but the opposite can also be true. In the case of multi-syllable words, you can occasionally cheat and only open the mouth once for two syllables. If you are "artistic" enough, it will read as if the puppet is moving its mouth for all the syllables. Otherwise, the mouth just flaps too much, especially on large-mouthed puppets like a lot of the Muppets.
If you watch Jerry Nelson's performances he pulls that off a LOT.

Can't wait for Part 3!!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
are there any deleted scenes from the muppet movie that you know about and can share with us? I have heard that there was a scene cut with statler and waldorf at the el sleezo cafe, and another scene with them cut where they appear on a camel.

also, do you know if the audio for the entire guy smiley sketches were pre-recorded or if it was just guy smileys scenes?

Whatever

Reaction score
I love hearing this stuff! Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!