Bear in Big Blue House Operation?

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
I am not sure if this has been covered here. My wife and I were watching an episode of Bear in the Big Blue House recently with our daughter. She asked me about how the Bear was operated. Well, needless to say, I had never given it any thought. It's like Big Bird as well, I never thought much about it. Well, curiosity has me bringing it up here for discussion.
Any thoughts on the Bear operation? How many people does it take, ect.. ?:confused:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I believe it's just one puppeteer and as you said it's done in a way that's very similar to Big Bird.

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Requires some talent

I am sure it requires some talent to get the movements out of the Bear and also Big Bird that they get. With the eyes moving and mouth at the same time along with arms moving.......:rolleyes:

RockerRob

Reaction score
Like Big Bird and like the Gorgs. I saw a show on how they did the Gorgs on Fraggle Rock a long long time ago. Essentially, there is a person in the suit working the body movements and the head is on top on their head, and then the mouth opperated via radio control by another person off screen who is manipulating a simple mouth that goes over their hand like a... pot holder looking deal and the movements of that are sent to the character's mouth. That same dude or another deal with the eyes with a regular looking radio controler. That is how I remeber seeing it done on the show, and they could have a better way now that I don't know about.

BEAR

Reaction score
Like Big Bird and like the Gorgs. I saw a show on how they did the Gorgs on Fraggle Rock a long long time ago. Essentially, there is a person in the suit working the body movements and the head is on top on their head, and then the mouth opperated via radio control by another person off screen who is manipulating a simple mouth that goes over their hand like a... pot holder looking deal and the movements of that are sent to the character's mouth. That same dude or another deal with the eyes with a regular looking radio controler. That is how I remeber seeing it done on the show, and they could have a better way now that I don't know about.
Well...that is how the Gorgs are operated, but not Bear and Big Bird.

Bear and Big Bird are both operated by one puppeteer. The puppeteer is inside the costume with one arm (the right) extended up into the head operating the mouth (and eyes) and also providing the voice. The left arm is the left arm of the costume/puppet. Usually the right arm of the costume has wire connecting it to the rest of the body to make it look like it's moving too even though there is no human arm inside it. I am not sure about Bear, but I know that Carroll Spinney (Big Bird's performer) has a tiny video moniter inside the costume that shows him what Big Bird is seeing. I hope that makes sense. That is how Bear and Big Bird work.:wisdom:

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Very interesting info!

Great information on this subject. I wonder how hot these guys get inside those costumes. I wonder if they have cooling fans?:rolleyes:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think (not completely sure) the A&E Biography special on Sesame Street has some footage of Carol getting in or out of Big Bird.

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
sounds interesting

I think (not completely sure) the A&E Biography special on Sesame Street has some footage of Carol getting in or out of Big Bird.
THat sounds interesting - I will have to check into that. Thanks!:smile:

Chuk

Reaction score
How does bear eye mechanism works