Automatonophobic mother fears daughter might buy a Muppet toy

scooterfan360

Reaction score
speaking of being scared of certain things, is there such a thing as someone being scared of cartoons ?

Luke kun

Reaction score
This... is really, really depressing. I know, there are some scary-looking Muppets out there (*cough* Sam the Machine *cough*), but this woman should get help. She should allow her daughter to get the toy, and she should watch SS with her and find out that Muppets aren't so bad. Repeated exposure, too. I mean, it's just a doll, it's not like in the horror movies. She should go onto Phobia Fear Release. I pray that this lady gets some help.

123Sunny

Reaction score
This person should probably refrain from entering my room.
Mine too
Heaven help her if she walks through my front door to see this:

I'd scream too, but with happiness

-
Every now and then though you do run across someone who just doesn't like puppets. My cousin, when she sleeps over can't sleep in my room cos of the Muppet stuff. Some of my own puppets that look less Muppety though she's fine with. Only my Prairie replica she's afraid of I think. :concern::sympathy:

People who are afraid of puppets, it might have something to do with uncanny valley?? I know people who like puppets but find other things into the uncanny valley, I don't get too creeped by most of that stuff though. So maybe for some people the range of uncanny valley is further?

Luke kun

Reaction score
People who are afraid of puppets, it might have something to do with uncanny valley?? I know people who like puppets but find other things into the uncanny valley, I don't get too creeped by most of that stuff though. So maybe for some people the range of uncanny valley is further?
*cough* Sam the frogging Machine *cough*
I'm a muppet fan, but I'm freaked out by Sam. So yeah, uncanny valley

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
I actually have automatonophobia myself, although I'm obviously not afraid of puppets. The term also applies to the fear of animatronics and costume characters, both of which I have dealt with (only when seeing them in person though) for as long as I can remember. So I can understand how this woman feels. Even though I've gotten over most of my fear, I still can't be around those moving/talking Halloween animatronics that you see in stores or people's houses, or ride a lot of theme park rides with moving figures. The only way I've managed to get over it is to expose myself to ones that aren't intended to be scary, and to learn about how they work. I hope this lady can overcome this and learn to love the Muppets.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I actually have automatonophobia myself, although I'm obviously not afraid of puppets. The term also applies to the fear of animatronics and costume characters, both of which I have dealt with (only when seeing them in person though) for as long as I can remember. So I can understand how this woman feels. Even though I've gotten over most of my fear, I still can't be around those moving/talking Halloween animatronics that you see in stores or people's houses, or ride a lot of theme park rides with moving figures. The only way I've managed to get over it is to expose myself to ones that aren't intended to be scary, and to learn about how they work. I hope this lady can overcome this and learn to love the Muppets.
No FNaF then?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I agree that the mother should speak to a psychiatrist or someone who can help her get over the thing. The Muppets are meant to spread happiness to kids and adults everywhere - like someone else said, it's not like they're Chucky. I mean that little creep gave me nightmares until I actually watched the movie (which is now one of my faves actually).

I don't really understand being afraid of the Muppets. I do have a very mild phobia of clowns and dolls, but that's just because of my imagination always getting the better of me and thinking that they're an axe murderer or something. But the Muppets... seriously, the Muppets?

Well, fears are irrational, so I'm not going to criticize her any, but still, she should probably see a psychologist or something so she can start getting over her fears.