Authentic, Fully Licensed, Muppet Replicas Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spcglider

Reaction score
Muppetfreak said:
The best thing about this though is Disney is showing a marked understanding that the Muppets are not just for kids because something like this is definately targeted to adult collectors/fans.
From what I understand, though, it is NOT the marketing folks at Disney who came up with this idea to begin with, but fans of the Muppets who were in positions to suggest it.

And like any marketing decision, it was harangued and harrumphed and agonized over uselessly by groups of people sitting around a conference room table for hours on end.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that marketing people (the majority of them) have no clue what is a good idea or not. They base their marketing decisions on bottom-line numbers. Somebody was able to convince the marketing department that this was a good idea. Whether they did it with hard numbers or whether they did it as part of a no-risk package deal for another license, who knows.

But I can tell you, though they will claim responsibility when it goes big, the marketing folks at Disney or MHC or wherever the license is handled from didn't come up with this one.

-G

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
For me personally, owning this won't be the same as seeing Kermit live and in person somewhere. I mean, the Macy's Kermit Balloon was here in Memphis and I freaked out! It was fantastic! If I found out Kermit the Frog is going to be in a commercial, I'll watch a dumb ol' football game to see the commercial (haha, I did, too). If I found out Kermit the Frog is going to be in town speaking at the Museum of Art, I'll be there quick. When I get my Kermit Replica and pose him on a log with a toy banjo on a table in the corner of my apartment, that is a collectible. That is a Kermit Doll (not to be played with or drooled upon by my friends' kids). It isn't the same thing to me. I would imagine that folks should be able to know the difference between what is a collectible and what is a Real Kermit. So, for me, the experience of "Real Kermit" won't be lessened any.

My big worry is about space in my little bitty apartment.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I think it looks better than some of the ACTUAL posers they are using. I HATED that picture of Kermit on the inside sleeve of The Muppet Show - Season One.

AND, it is still a prototype.

:stick_out_tongue:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
spcglider said:
I respect your opinion, but if you look at the examples of many of the other extremely popular and excessively marketed Disney characters (Mickey Mouse, Tinkerbell, Donald Duck, Eeyore, etc.) you'll see that mass merchandising does not indicate impetus for movies or television production.

When was the last time Mickey had his own cartoon? [SNIP!] But he's still not starring in his own Disney Afternoon cartoon show.

With respect,
-Gordon
Gordon,

There has been a lot of new Mickey animation in recent years. The TV series "Mickey's House of Mouse", the direct to video "The Three Musketeers" and "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas", just to name a few.

That doesn't mean that new Muppet merchandise will generate new Muppet projects... but it couldn't hurt.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Convincing John

Reaction score
A replica of Piggy? That'd be cool!

Kermieuk said:
As there is a good chance this is a Line of Muppet figures, I noticed on this thread that so far no one has mentioned a Miss Piggy in this line?? I wander if this is something that is just not plausable?? Would she be to complex, to expensive??
Anyway, if this did happen it got me thinking, which Miss Piggy would everyone like to see as a replica??
Also what outfit would she wear? To many Miss Piggy dolls have clothes on that I have never seen her wearing in a photo or on TV/film!
My own choice would be the look of the puppet used in Season 4 or 5 of The Muppet Show, Muppet Movie etc, around 1979. Although a replica of modern Piggy would be good as long as she has the 1979 hairstyle!! I hate that blonde Jennifer Anniston look!! Outfits I think I would like to see are something classy like the long black dress she wears in the ''Mad about the frog'' number on TMS.

Chris
I'd like to see a Miss Piggy, too, and I agree that the Muppet Movie era Piggy would be the best likeness.

But if they make a replica, they'd have to give Piggy a tail. Yep, I read where Piggy's got a tail. In an old 1980 (maybe 1981?) McCalls interview, someone asks Piggy if her hair is naturally curly. Piggy replies with:

"My hair has natural curls, and so does my tail."

No joke! It's really in the interview! I don't know who supplied the info for that article. (Maybe...Frank or Jerry Juhl?) I'll have to see if I can look it up.

Seriously, I'd love to see more Muppets! Yeah, Rowlf'd be pretty cool. Animal, Gonzo...any of 'em!

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
Uh oh...

Fozzie Bear said:
My big worry is about space in my little bitty apartment.
Oh boy, Fozzie. You better hope they make Rowlf next instead of Animal. Because instead of a regular Animal replica, what if they decide to make a life-size "Insta-Grow" Animal head?:halo:

:wink:

Convincing John

muppetperson

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
I think it looks better than some of the ACTUAL posers they are using. I HATED that picture of Kermit on the inside sleeve of The Muppet Show - Season One.

AND, it is still a prototype.

Yes, it is still a prototype,BUT...from prototypes it goes to a production run.For this to be previewed at Toy Fair, Master Replicas must consider it ready.Let's not rest on the idea that it is only a prototype.You never know when it will become the final prototype and then it will be too late for revisions!

MWoO

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
For this to be previewed at Toy Fair, Master Replicas must consider it ready.

That's not totally true. Many times a company will show a product at any stage that is available just to show what the product is. Palsiades showed series 1 of Sesame Street last year and they were not final sculpts. All kinds of things changed.

tioandria

Reaction score
Wow how quickly the atmosphere changes...

I should have gotten on here before Toy Fair and let you know what we were going to show at Toy Fair. The first EP sample did not come back from China on time so we showed the original prototype that was created. I know, I know there are many things wrong with it. The problems bother me just as much as they bother all of you.

This prototype did use cut patterns from Henson of Kermit. At the time we did not have the cut patterns for the hands and feet so we did something up quickly based on photos. Hence the big thumb and big feet. Later on I visited the Muppet Workshop and Disney Consumer Products where I got the exact patterns for the hands and feet. You will see this whenever we get that EP sample from China. I believe it should be ready by the first of March now. Late samples is just one of the many joys of blending product development to marketing efforts.

So now that we have shown Kermit again I see there is a lot more criticism. Fair enough, like I said I know this one has things wrong with it. One thing that I noticed though in playing with this prototype at Toy Fair is that the head can look very different with how you smooch the inner foam. Even the way you bend the wires in the lips give the whole face an entirely different appearance.

I have already accepted the fact that everyone is not going to be completely happy with our Kermit. I used to have a boss at McFarlane that would say there are those "people out there who could win a new car a complain about the color."

I am very willing to listen to your concerns and try and address them. I will actually fix the production if I feel the concerns are legitimate. It is a little difficult to address comments like "I could have done better."

-kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.