Ask Ken at Palisades

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Luke, 1000 posts, and you've only been registered about a week longer than I have?! Holy moley! Looks like I haven't been doin' my share of the wood choppin'!<<<

Dont you mean keyboard chompin? :wink: And yeah, just how did Luke get to 1000 so fast?

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
>>>Luke, 1000 posts, and you've only been registered about a week longer than I have?! Holy moley! Looks like I haven't been doin' my share of the wood choppin'!<<<

Dont you mean keyboard chompin? :wink: And yeah, just how did Luke get to 1000 so fast?
same way i'm getting so close to 300 and i've only been here a few weeks. he's got an opinion about everything and loves to make sure everyone knows about it!

heh...

BAZ

Reaction score
Originally posted by Shooter Johnson
Now all we need are action figures of the humans who interact with the Muppets. Try getting the likeness rights to all of those celebrities. What do you say, Ken??

If not, I guess I'll just have to customize my Sir Lancelot into a Nevil for some Great Muppet Caper playacting.
We had a thread going a few weeks ago about people who have 12 inch figures made of them that have also been on the Muppet Show. I think we had it up to about a dozen names.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
you know what when Ken gets back he will not be able to answer all these questions,anyway:

i was thinking since they are coming out with a stage Deluxe st shouldnt they have a backstage deluxe set,maybe an orchestra pit and audience set,I mean wouldnt it be great to have a deluxe playset come out every set from 6-10.I would buy and since a lot of people seemed tto want mrs.bear she could come with the audience.

grail

Reaction score
Ken's already said that they want to do a "backstage" set, though there's some question as to wether it'll be deluxe or not.

i don't think anyone's ever thought of doing the audience and orchestra pit as a set, though...that's a pretty solid idea.

i mean, they're already talking about interlocking sets for the stage and backstage, adding the pit/audience could be awesome.

good call!

kansasteen14

Reaction score
thanks and I agree they should interlock I mean you cant do a muppet show without an orchestra pit and of course it could come with Nigel and The backstage should with Kermit I think but what kind?

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm finally caught up here.

Gotta jump back a few posts and add my two cents to the PVC mini line debate. I don't think it needs articulation. I wouldn't turn articulation down, of course, but it would definitely up the price and require a different grade of PVC (is grade the correct term?). Sure we've had non-articulated Muppet PVCs before-- but we haven't had 'em from Palisades and I have complete faith the Palisades PVCs will be heads and tails above the old ones.

I love the interlocking arches idea. What a great way to display these guys!

What I do NOT want to see if Palisades skimping on the paint and sculpts. I will pay extra for top notch paint jobs and good, interesting sculpts. That sort of quality is far more important to me than articulation.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of PVCs sculpted in 'action' poses and with accessories (stuff in their hands and the like). Make for interesting scenes. Plus, Palisades has some pretty creative employees and I'd like to see what they come up with here-- I bet they could have some fun and surprise all of us fans with something new and intriguing.

About the Mega line. As I understand it, Ken did look into the voice chips idea (maybe for the regular figures and not specifically for the big ones, but the point is the same). The licensing costs make this impossible at the present time. I know Simpsons has it. But Henson is well known for charging a bit more than the going rate for things-- perhaps it is just cheaper to get the rights with Simpsons. Also, is the company that makes Simpsons figures biggger than Palisades? I think it is. It is possible a larger company can more easily manage the up front out of pocket expenses of such licensing deals. Palisades is a pretty small company and they definitely put quality first, so they may just not have the capital to do things on that scale.

Finally, to those of you who have emailed over the last few days because you noticed I wasn't on the board as much as usual-- thanks for the concern and the friendship. Means a lot to me!

Think that's about it. Oh-- one more thing-- I orderd the mini lunch boxes from Palisades' web site last week. They arrived only a few days later and are gorgeous! Great price, really fast turn around on the order. Gotta love that!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
I don't think it needs articulation. I wouldn't turn articulation down, of course, but it would definitely up the price and require a different grade of PVC (is grade the correct term?).

What I do NOT want to see if Palisades skimping on the paint and sculpts. I will pay extra for top notch paint jobs and good, interesting sculpts. That sort of quality is far more important to me than articulation.
Personally i think it does need articulation. The real hardcore fans might be able to stomach it, but the toy world seems to have moved on from non-articulated stuff. The whole vibe i get from Palisades is that they want to break the mould so to speak on action figures - top anything thats been done. You just couldn't do that with a non-articulated figure.

As to the paint jobs. You might be ok paying a premium price for higher quality paint jobs and sculpts but the question is more whether the 'average joe' would. These need to appeal to a broader range than just us few hardore fans - they need to be economically priced while looking good, so that basically the line will get bought. If you look at the Simpsons mini figures pictures i think you'll probably find that what they are doing for $10 would be pretty acceptable if Palisades were to come out with that for the Muppets. They have a high paint job, articulation, look great and are in very interesting themes and poses - i don't think theres any kind of need to top that because there can't be THAT much to add, it'd just mean you'd be pricing the sets away from the mass market.

Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
About the Mega line. As I understand it, Ken did look into the voice chips idea (maybe for the regular figures and not specifically for the big ones, but the point is the same). The licensing costs make this impossible at the present time. I know Simpsons has it. But Henson is well known for charging a bit more than the going rate for things-- perhaps it is just cheaper to get the rights with Simpsons. Also, is the company that makes Simpsons figures biggger than Palisades? I think it is. It is possible a larger company can more easily manage the up front out of pocket expenses of such licensing deals. Palisades is a pretty small company and they definitely put quality first, so they may just not have the capital to do things on that scale.
Yes Ken did originally look into the voice chips for the regular line and that was the end result. However with the mega line, you basically have a little more money to play about with because the product is selling at a premium price. Currently some of that money is going into extra articulation but the regular figures already have many more points of articulation than anything else on the market so it's questionable whether any more is needed - certainly a few extra aren't going to make a massive impact on the figure that would actually be noticeable to anyone other than real hardcore figure collectors. What i'm saying is that if they scaled back on that there might be the resources to get the voices.

Ken mentioned that when he looked into getting the voices he was told he would have to go back and pay the original puppeteers (and i guess Jim's estate). This seems like a mix-up to me though because I think that Henson thought being a classic anniversary line Palisades wanted to sample clips from the original shows in which case they would have to pay the original puppeteers and rights owners for the original shows like has been said. There is a way around this though - you just do exactly what they did with Muppets Racemania (The playstation game). This was produced by a fairly small independant games company and was just distributed through a larger one so they didn't really have that much money either. What they did was use the current puppeteers to record voice clips fresh, and for the characters with puppeteers no longer at Henson they got the current ones to recreate the voice and people like Bill Baretta did a great job doing Rowlf, we've now got Eric Jacobson who could do Fozzie and Miss Piggy. Henson have the new studios and are more than equipped to do this so it's something that Palisades might possibly be able to lease out.

Depending or not on how the current puppeteers are on contract you may well just have to pay them a standard voiceover fee, and as for Henson, since the ownership changed i think you'll find them very much more accomodating as to what they'll license out and for how much - the company and EMTV has very little money right now which is why they've relaxed things for the anniversary and we've seen Muppet lingerie, it's now cheaper and easier to use the Muppets so companies are now doing so. I just hope there IS a way around all this because it would really give people a solid reason to buy the larger figures and if they had the voices and tons of videoclips for Racemania then someones already managed to do it successfully before without breaking the bank.

Saying all that - LOL - i repsect your opinion totally Annika - just wanted to debate it and maybe explain things a bit clearer incase there is some hope !

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

Racemania ok, But i dont think i would want someone elses voice on These Figures.

Its just like having Pepe on The Muppet Show card.

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Luke,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
Racemania ok, But i dont think i would want someone elses voice on These Figures.
You mean you wouldn't want say Steve doing a character he wouldn't usually do, or you wouldn't want people like Eric doing Fozzie or Piggy - characters that they DO regularly do now but didn't in the past ?

To me, i wouldn't mind Eric doing the Piggy figure, or Steve doing Kermit - we are so used to it now and will get more of it with the new shows. Most of the main Mega figures that i would envisage coming out have their original voices alive and still working for Henson in some way anyway besides Jim, Frank and Richard.

I guess this kinda thing might matter to us as the hardcore fans but theres only little over a thousand of us. Some action figure collector or average joe on the streets isn't going to be able to tell the difference eitherway and it would give the mega line a hook to buy them just for that feature.