Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I'm sure you do! I love watching you're videos! Very clever. (Sorry, I'm muffining....)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Lol, thanks, always appreciate hearing feedback. :cool:

But to get back on topic, I'm betting the fact that "April 9th" is playing today is because of 9-11, which I believe the episode was in response to, much like SST's episode about Hooper's Store catching fire was.

Hubert

Reaction score
Yeah, the show hasn't focused on Arthur in a long time... heck, there's been episodes where he's not even IN the story AT ALL.
But that isn't anything new. That's happened for quite some time.

I could never quite figure out what everyone's big deal is with Arthur not being the focus of every episode. There are so many other characters that have so much depth that can be focused on. I think that, whether anyone would admit it or not, if every single episode was focused on Arthur, that everyone would be moaning bout how he's featured too much...

But I know what you mean, I've been trying to find any actual official information on this supposedly 4th Chipmunks movie where they go into outer space, but all that's available is a Wiki for a obviously fanfic-esque 4th movie that claims Charlene the Chipette is going to be in it, as well as Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and Demi Lovato voicing a trio of evil Chipette clones called the "Darkettes". You know how I can tell it's fake? The whole "Darkette" idea they stole from an RPG I was involved with a few years ago where we did indeed invent an evil trio of Chipettes known as "The Darkettes".
Or maybe the crew liked that idea so much that they decided to actually use it...:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
But to get back on topic, I'm betting the fact that "April 9th" is playing today is because of 9-11, which I believe the episode was in response to, much like SST's episode about Hooper's Store catching fire was.
Heh. It was. But that's something I don't want to get into. Half the show's target demo is too young to even know what it's in response to anyway.

Yeah, the show hasn't focused on Arthur in a long time... heck, there's been episodes where he's not even IN the story AT ALL.

But I know what you mean, I've been trying to find any actual official information on this supposedly 4th Chipmunks movie where they go into outer space, but all that's available is a Wiki for a obviously fanfic-esque 4th movie that claims Charlene the Chipette is going to be in it

Unfortunately, there is confirmation that these are real episodes. The synopsis all come directly from a PBS station's website. No margin of error there.

I don't mind if the show's not about Arthur, but his friends... I just HATE when it's D.W.'s friends and D.W.'s friends of friends. Just make it the darn D.W. show already.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just make it the darn D.W. show already.
But if they do that, they may very well do that whole Africa spin-off that you've been predicting will happen ever since "In My Africa" aired. :stick_out_tongue:

Hubert

Reaction score
I don't mind if the show's not about Arthur, but his friends... I just HATE when it's D.W.'s friends and D.W.'s friends of friends. Just make it the darn D.W. show already.
They try to explore all worlds with this...things focusing primarily D.W.'s friends has gone all the way back to Marc Brown's book writing...

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
How closely does Marc Brown work with the TV series anyway? Did he ever work closely with it?

Hubert

Reaction score
How closely does Marc Brown work with the TV series anyway? Did he ever work closely with it?
Yes, since the very beginning, he always has worked closely with it, and still does. Though I do think that he does have more confidence in the crew in the more recent years, therefore not working with it quite as closely.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could never quite figure out what everyone's big deal is with Arthur not being the focus of every episode. There are so many other characters that have so much depth that can be focused on. I think that, whether anyone would admit it or not, if every single episode was focused on Arthur, that everyone would be moaning bout how he's featured too much...
I have no problem with episodes being about Brain, Buster, Francine, Muffy, Binky, D.W. or The Tibbles. It's characters like James and Jenna getting full episodes that bug me. They have NO personality at all. James's schtick is that he's shy. Sorry, there's already a shy character. George. I guess when he became more outgoing, they had to Raven Symone James into the show. Luckily, after the bed wetting episode, they shoved Jenna back into the background where she belongs.

Plus, there is NO need to pair up a D.W. and friends episode with another D.W. and friends episode. We have a variety of characters, why two segments about the same second and tertiary characters on the same episode? That's like an Animaniacs episode where there's 3 Buttons and Mindy cartoons.

They try to explore all worlds with this...things focusing primarily D.W.'s friends has gone all the way back to Marc Brown's book writing...
Ehhhhh... no. Not really. There were one off D.W. books, sure. Arthur was there, but the story was about her. They were sort of the easy reader versions of the Arthur books (at least the 3 I read were). The Tibbles were also from the books (and HUMAN :eek: ) but they were never D.W.'s friends. Heck, we never even got to see D.W. hang out with anyone in the books. For that matter, the only regular series Arthur book where another character was the focus was "Arthur and the True Francine," all about Francine meeting Muffy, even though Arthur's name was in the title. So while the cartoon is an expanded universe, it's completely detached from the actual book series that focused mainly on Arthur. But that's adaption displacement for you. People are actually starting to forget these were books at some point.

And trust me. I've been reading the books since I was very young. I even lamented the fact it took until 1996 for the books to get a show.