Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems as though regular broadcast seasons are coming to an end, and they're basically just going to do specials from now on. Seems like I remember that's what AMERICA'S MOST WANTED did after FOX canceled it.

DatH

Reaction score
Peeebs (on Twitter or the Arthur Slums forums) actually has the schedule. S25 is the last season (with it and S24 noticeably only having 4 episodes)
I really doubt the ending itself will be impactful...but it'll be a much needed rest for Arthur

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait, there actually is going to be a 25th season? 24 was supposed to be the last. Eh well. Four episodes a season now? Wow. SEINFELD's first season had only four episodes (excluding the pilot) because that's how little the network thought of it.

I guess this definitely means they won't be using the spec script I submitted to them several years ago, because I never received another word beyond being told it would be forwarded to their head writer to look at, and that I would receive a response afterwards, and never did.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's the Thanksgiving special, officially viewable for free on YT (for now).

This is disappointing to me, if only because the writers felt the need to make it a Pal-centric special, rehashing the premise of the season 1 episode where Pal gets lost, only now he talks. Would have been really neat to see other families in Elwood City celebrate Thanksgiving in their own ways, like the Frenskys or even the Molinas, keeping with the down-to-earth feel that has been sorely missing in the show recently. Also blew the chance for the relatives from the Read family reunion make a return, but I guess we really needed to meet yet another relative of theirs we hadn't heard of before. I did get some nice laughs from the C-plot involving the Hickory Dickory Dock float, like Buster painting his face without a mirror and Binky turning himself into a vampire.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Peeebs (on Twitter or the Arthur Slums forums) actually has the schedule. S25 is the last season (with it and S24 noticeably only having 4 episodes)
I really doubt the ending itself will be impactful...but it'll be a much needed rest for Arthur
Actually, according to the Arthur Wiki, Season 24 will have just three episodes (technically, two, since the second episode of that season is a remastered "The Great McGrady"). Season 25 will have four episodes, the last segment being appropriately titled "All Grown Up". There will be no two-part episode to close out the series, strangely enough, but if I were to guess, the final segment might focus on the characters as mature adults and teenagers, and imagine what kind of life Arthur and his wife, as adults, reminiscing about their childhood. Other possible items could be high school or college graduation, and/or marriage. Nothing morbid or sad, implying that the series is expected to go out on a good note.

I am thinking the reason for Season 25 going ahead may be due to contractual obligations, and the production company decided to end production after that. The series may not be cancelled, it's just ending. The cast knew it was coming, nevertheless.

I am thinking the newer episodes nowadays may end up being a rehashing of older episodes, but modified - if slightly. Cost-cutting at its finest.

Last edited:

DatH

Reaction score
They already were effectively rehashing plot lines since S13, with 16 accelerating it
Literally only looking forward to "All Grown up"
Also, Arthur might get a new VA for S24-25. Current already is sounding old in the recent PSAs

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Also, Arthur might get a new VA for S24-25. Current already is sounding old in the recent PSAs.
What does VA stand for?

And I bet "All Grown Up" will probably involve an element from "And Now Let's Talk to Some Kids" - where Arthur and Francine are elderly in the future, and reminisce about their childhood. I find that many later episodes of series contain rehashing of elements from past episodes. TV series in general tend to have original content for the first few years, but later seasons tend to rehash elements from past episodes, or be a complete rehash of a past episode. When rehashing occurs, ratings go down. I am quite surprised Arthur lasted this long, given the many years of rehashing. Makes me glad I no longer watch the newer episodes.

I also find that some segment titles were previously used in past cartoon series. "Fright Night" and "Just Desserts" which were titles of Arthur segments, were previously used as segment titles on the animated spinoff of "The Little Rascals" which Hanna-Barbera co-produced back in the 1980s.

Sounds like the rehashing is nothing more of a case of "the writers running out of ideas". I am definitely eager to see the "All Grown Up" episode when it gets aired, though I wonder if some PBS affiliates have dropped "Arthur" from their lineup?

I think the rehashing of elements from past episodes should also apply to "Sesame Street" as well.

Last edited: