Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Three of the voice actors, including the original Arthur himself, who now voices one of the Tough Customers, have said on Twitter that yes, the show is ending after Season 24.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Three of the voice actors, including the original Arthur himself, who now voices one of the Tough Customers, have said on Twitter that yes, the show is ending after Season 24.
And I thought that it was going to end after Season 25. Guess not.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Wow that's kinda sad. But at least the show has had a good run.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
When the series finally ends its run, there will have been at least, nearly 250 episodes aired (though I know many earlier episodes may never be rebroadcast again due to outdated technology and pop culture). I bet, with so many episodes available to PBS's disposal, I bet the show will likely continue airing on PBS in indefinite reruns for some years to come, like is the case with "Clifford". It depends on how long PBS's contract to air "Arthur" runs for. I find that, whenever a show ceases production, PBS airs indefinite reruns for a few more years, supposedly until the contract expires. Contract expiration plus lower ratings may have led to the demise of "Reading Rainbow" on PBS in 2009.

"Clifford" ceased production by 2005 (during the "Puppy Days" format) but there were five seasons combined covering both versions of "Clifford". I personally think "Puppy Days" replaced the original version because of Clifford's voice actor John Ritter's declining health in 2003.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
We've talked about how the show has had several season finales that could've easily functioned as series finales in the past. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the show just ended with a totally unceremonious, regular episode?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We've talked about how the show has had several season finales that could've easily functioned as series finales in the past. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the show just ended with a totally unceremonious, regular episode?
Much like SS, seasons of ARTHUR are produced quite far in advance, and on top of that, the show is generally renewed on a season-to-season basis; I discussed this with Greg Bailey once, and he explained to me they never know whether or not they'll be renewed for another season until a WGBH staff meeting in the spring, and if they are renewed, that's followed-up with a writers' meeting in the summer. So, because it's always an uncertainy, they've done some of the season finales are series fauxnales, just in case they're not renewed.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
When the series finally ends its run, there will have been at least, nearly 250 episodes aired (though I know many earlier episodes may never be rebroadcast again due to outdated technology and pop culture). I bet, with so many episodes available to PBS's disposal, I bet the show will likely continue airing on PBS in indefinite reruns for some years to come, like is the case with "Clifford". It depends on how long PBS's contract to air "Arthur" runs for. I find that, whenever a show ceases production, PBS airs indefinite reruns for a few more years, supposedly until the contract expires. Contract expiration plus lower ratings may have led to the demise of "Reading Rainbow" on PBS in 2009.

"Clifford" ceased production by 2005 (during the "Puppy Days" format) but there were five seasons combined covering both versions of "Clifford". I personally think "Puppy Days" replaced the original version because of Clifford's voice actor John Ritter's declining health in 2003.
I also read Clifford is getting a reboot movie and show.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I think, whenever final episodes of children's programming on PBS happen, they tend to go out a normal episode because the season finale is recorded far in advance, and when it is declared the finale, it is because the producers got the dreaded cancellation notice several or many months after that season finale has aired, and likely didn't know the end was coming.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
So my PBS affiliate is showing the election episode three times today.

It's on now, 7:00 AM, and 8:30 PM.