Are the Muppets as popular as they were 30 to 40 years ago?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So I guess he wants to go back to working with the Muppets in terms of the scripts...
Several years ago Frank and Jim Lewis wrote a Muppet Movie Scrpit, but Disney went with Muppets most wanted instead.

Frank is a director, and even though he went out to pursue a directing career he always loved the Muppets. He was starting his distracting career even before Jim passed away, and from what I understood Jim was very supportive of Frank branching out. I think because of that Frank thought he could take a step back from the Muppets, but always be able to come back when ready. Well for nearly a decade now Frank has wanted to come back write direct and possibly perform a little, and Disney has not contacted him. Which when I stop and think about it blows my mind.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don’t feel like Frank wouldn’t want to perform someone like Piggy or Fozzie to Matt Vogel’s Kermit, They might’ve worked together in the past but, it could get extremely awkward for them. I could see him doing someone in like Animal or Sam.

DMHFan

Reaction score
I was talking to one of the employees of The Muppets Studio on the phone a few minutes ago, and he told me that the company/Disney could be willing to put the money from the newer Muppets projects from now and in the future into putting their classic material (i.e. Tales from Muppetland, all 120 episodes of TMS, MT) onto home media and streaming and digital download, and possibly paying for all the legal issues with the remaining seasons of TMS! Isn't that great?

MWoO

Reaction score
Ill believe it when i see it.

Frankly, id rather see the effort put into new content that us true to form. I find it odd that with politics being hotter than ever, Sam Eagle is no where to be seen. If they want to build buzz and get attention a political show hosted by dam Eagle that is a parody of news shows ( not like the daily show which comments on real news, but an actual parody). Why dont they? Fear of controversy. They Muppets under Disney have no bite much like Frank Oz said.

They need to hire Frank Oz as a creatuve consultant, much like hiw Jim would have been back when the initial deal was planned. It seems Frank would be willing and able to come back to the Muppets and push them along, but frankly (no pun intended) he is 74 and Disney is running out of time to take advantage of his skill.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I was talking to one of the employees of The Muppets Studio on the phone a few minutes ago, and he told me that the company/Disney could be willing to put the money from the newer Muppets projects from now and in the future into putting their classic material (i.e. Tales from Muppetland, all 120 episodes of TMS, MT) onto home media and streaming and digital download, and possibly paying for all the legal issues with the remaining seasons of TMS! Isn't that great?
You spoke to someone at Muppet Studios? How did that go?

DMHFan

Reaction score
You spoke to someone at Muppet Studios? How did that go?
I did. It went okay, he didn't tell me his name, and he couldn't tell me an update on the Seasons 4 and 5 DVDs, neither any other info. He barely could help. But he did say the company is willing to release classic material still.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
It seems Frank would be willing and able to come back to the Muppets and push them along, but frankly (no pun intended) he is 74 and Disney is running out of time to take advantage of his skill.
Dave Goelz is 72, and he still provides a good Gonzo and yours truly. Heck, Oz has reprised Yoda in recent Star Wars media, the most recent being The Last Jedi. But you're right in that I think Frank Oz should continue working on the Muppets from behind-the-scenes than voice them.

MWoO

Reaction score
I did. It went okay, he didn't tell me his name, and he couldn't tell me an update on the Seasons 4 and 5 DVDs, neither any other info. He barely could help. But he did say the company is willing to release classic material still.
The phrasing that they are willing to release classic content seems like they arent planning on it. I mean, i am sure they are willing to do many things they dont have planned.

I feel like working at Muppet Studios is currently the most boring job there is. Even the Jim Henson Company is at least putting out something. I fear Disney having their own streaming service means we are less likely to see a new show on there. I thinknDisney could get Netflix to gamble on a new series, but Disney is not likely to pit up their own money for a property they dont really believe in.