Are the Muppets as popular as they were 30 to 40 years ago?

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Duke’s back, huh? Fun.

And we’re still playing that game where we pretend Muppets Most Wanted didn’t bomb?

DMHFan

Reaction score
Duke’s back, huh? Fun.

And we’re still playing that game where we pretend Muppets Most Wanted didn’t bomb?
No, that was one of his Facebook posts, although I wish he was back here. :sympathy:

Last edited:

MWoO

Reaction score
MMW was definitely a more modest success than its predecessor. I wouldn't go far as to call it a bomb, but it grossed slightly over its budget. Which is a little understandable because of its competition with Divergent. But the other problem I think was that the screenwriters merely played it a little bit too safe with the sequel, just mashing together elements of TGMC without having a more original plot, while the first had a more original story while giving it a more nostalgic feel. In other words lol, I think if MMW ended up being more like The Last Jedi, it probably would've attracted a lot more moviegoers. That being said, however, the Muppets have always had sort of a cult fanbase. It's not as big as Marvel's or Star Wars, so we've always been at sort of a disadvantage with the bigger studios and networks. (I know I've brought this up a couple times, but please bear in mind it took Jim a trip to LONDON to get TMS produced!)
MMW made back it's production budget, but a rule of thumb is that movies spend as much on advertising as they do on the production. Plus, you need to consider the movie theaters cut. It made 80 mil world wide, but that is gross not net. And as Mr. Price said, in terms of profit, you gotta be kidding with gross! Theaters usually take up to 45%. Being Disney, maybe they can strike a better deal of say 35%. That right there means that MMW barely made back production budget, or worse lost on the production budget, and certainly made nothing back on their advertising.

Personally, I liked MMW a lot. I like the extended cut way more than the theatrical cut. This is a problem many movies that should have done better have. Editing. MMW was chopped down too much and took out some key story elements that make the theatrical cut much worse than it is. Plus there is the timing of the release.

The Muppets cost 45 mil production, and made 165 mil world wide. That leaves 107 mil after theater's cut (assuming 35% for Disney bargaining power) Advertising is usually same as production costs for lets say total costs was 90. That leaves 17 mil profit. Not a huge smash hit, but the movie made money.

So yeah, MMW bombed even though its a good movie. To me it was more of a Muppet movie than The Muppets 2011.

Edit: But MMW didn't bomb as bad as MFS.... that thing lost the Jim Henson Company millions and kept the Muppets out of theaters for over a decade. I think the Muppets will likely not see another movie for at least another 4 years if not longer. Though, the backlash to Happy Time Murders might mean a new Muppet movie would be successful. There was so much hate towards that many people may go see a real Muppet movie to "fix their broken childhood". That is, if they understand the Happy Time murders was not actually the Muppets....

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The only thing that bugged me a little about Muppets from Space is the lack of original songs. It might as well just been made for TV.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Looking at my post you would think I receive some sort of cash payment from the parenthesis corporation. There are about two dozen in the one post.
What about the paragraph corporation? :wink:

MWoO

Reaction score
The only thing that bugged me a little about Muppets from Space is the lack of original songs. It might as well just been made for TV.
MFS was just a poorly done movie. The story was weak, it was a time before many recasts were done, and there was no Johnny Fiama!:skeptical:

For one, you cant actually answer the question of Gonzo's origin. His whole character is that he is a weirdo who is unlike anyone else. You can explore the question. You can have a movie about the question. However, you cant answer the question because any answer will be unsatisfactory.

Another problem is the almost immediate exit of all the Muppets right after the opening. All of them live togther, but then only the main cast really does anything. Even secondary characters were gone, let alone background characters.

Frankly there was a better idea for a space movie. Muppets In Space. Imagine a sci-fi fantasy with the Muppets. You can easily intergrate Link and Strangepork to connect it to pigs in space. Bunsen can be the inventory of a real life swine trek. Piggy can be put in a major role.

They can still explore Gonzo's origin, but he shouldnt ever find his people. The ending should be that Gonzo doesnt find his people but realizes its ok because the Muppets are his people. In MFS they tried to have it both ways. MFS would be a decent TV special, just not a theatrical release.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
From what I heard Muppets From Space had a lot of production problems because I think there was three writers which were Jerry Juhl, Joey Mazzarino, and Ken Kaufman. Plus Joey stated they change directors in production and he got rid if with the spoof stuff Joey wanted to do. Plus Kirk Thatcher did another script as well for the film title Muppets In Space.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
Slight problem, though not big. It's better to have the Muppets do the funk than nothing.

I think one of my biggest problems with that movie was Jeffrey Tambor's overacting, which gets a little hammy here and there that it could make the theater audience make fun of him. I mean, he really is hammy in some parts.

I'm not sure how I feel about the freak camp either. I think there were too many crazy hippies believing in Alex Jones-style conspiracy theories about aliens than middle-class scientists and astronomers who might hold a more credible interest. Also some of the cameos were unnecessary. I think Bill Nye would've made a better cameo than the Dawson's Creek cast.