Any Ernst Fans?

Rose

Reaction score
I like Earnest but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of his. I mean he's funny and all but I wouldn't chat for 3 hours about him. lol

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah, I see the two threads have finally been merged into one.

Good move.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After watching Ernest Goees to School recently, I must wonder... Is there any known motive for.. Uh, that school board person wanting the school in the movie to shut down? I mean, he goes so far as to bribe the football coach into trying to lose on purpose so the school can close down. And does a high school really need a winning football team in order to stay open?
Also, is he more interested in shutting down the school or Ernest losing his job? When he first sees Ernest, after informing the principal that all employees must be graduates, he seems to make some sort of remark as if he's pleased that Ernest might get fired. And later, I think when the principle is considering ending the whole deal with Ernest, the school board guy tells him to just fire Ernest already.

Yorick

Reaction score
I like Earnest but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of his. I mean he's funny and all but I wouldn't chat for 3 hours about him. lol
That's fair and respectful enough for this die-hard fan :big_grin:
The Ernest character was very funny because Jim Varney was wonderful - however, I always wish that he could have lived longer, and also had more chances to show the world his acting talent beyond slapstick (which of course, no one could do the way he did! Even as it is, he was one of a kind, and left his mark!):super:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Ernest character was very funny because Jim Varney was wonderful - however, I always wish that he could have lived longer, and also had more chances to show the world his acting talent beyond slapstick
That's the sad truth of type-casting...

When an actor perfects a role he or she had originated, often times, it's like people can't accept it if they try to perform a completely different character, and often times, casting agents/writers/directors/etc won't even take a chance on them. In Jim Varney's case, even though the mean had a near genius IQ and was a classically trained Shakespearean actor, he perfected Ernest, and as such, was pigeon-holed in the role; besides Ernest, look at some of his other "memorable" roles - Jed Clampett in the 90s movie remake of The Beverly Hillbillies, and voicing Slinky Dog in both of the original Toy Story movies.

Yorick

Reaction score
Agree with D'Snowth about typecasting, and agree with Newton Gimmick on "Ernest The Pirate" (or so I heard was the title) - and speaking of Newton Gimmick - Teddy Ruxpin rocks, too! :smile: Great choice! :wisdom:

minor muppetz

Reaction score

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently found that most (all?) episodes of Hey Vern It's Ernest have been uploaded on YouTube (interestingly, I remember searching for it earlier this year and didn't find anything, but when I found the episodes, I saw they were uploaded last year).

I only vaguely remember watching the show when it was originally on (the main thing I remember was Ernest's talking tongue, who I for some reason thought was a human face on the floor). It was interesting... It was kind of like Laugh-In, Sesame Street, and The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence. Seems like Ernest had his own plots, Chuck and Bobby had their own plot, and then several other skits were disconnected. Seems like most of the characters were disconnected from Ernest. I wonder if kids might have been confused by this format. I would have liked it if more of the show's characters interracted with Ernest every once in awhile (maybe they did and I just didn't see the episodes). I wouldn't have expected any of Jim Varney's characters to appear with Ernest, but the others could have.

There are some things that I think would have been discontinued if the show lasted another season, like Ernest's tongue and Earl the Barber (though I found his skits funny... If the series lasted longer and he continued maybe they could have changed the haircut Ernest always wanted). And I wonder what was up with the random scenes showing kids faces inside cardboard TVs (that makes it look like a preschool series a bit).

It's interesting how many of this show's actors appeared in the Ernest movies, in different roles. Until watching this I didn't realise that the judge from Ernest Goes to Jail and "animal patrol officer #1" from Ernest Saves Christmas were playe dby the same person, but instantly recognized Mrs. Simon Simmonds and Coo (of "Bill and Coo") as that actress, realising they were the same. And I knew that Daniel Butler was in the first four movies in different roles, but didn't realise he was on this series. Looking at the filmographies of some of the actors I found that a few more were in the movies.

Chuck and Bobby appeared in some of the movies, as did Autnie Nelda (in the form of Ernest in disguise), but it would have been great if they'd have found some way to work in the dust bunny, Woody, Earl the Barber, the guy with the iguana roomate (and the iguana, of course), and maybe Ernest's tongue. I don't think Bill and Coo or any of Gailard Sartain's characters besides Chuck would have worked well in the context of the movies.