Another TV Land Outrage!

Drtooth

Reaction score
My local stations used to have sitcom reruns all day long, minus the couple talk shows and Court shows. In fact, a couple years ago, at 1 Pm they'd rerun King of the Hill. Not exactly old, but still a welcome sight. Now, the only sitcom reruns are on from 5-8 and then at 11 in some cases. And most of them are new (Seinfeld is the oldest one, that is). I hate how CW has to use it's afternoon line up as the graveyard for unfunny WB sitcoms like Reba.

M*A*S*H* and Taxi used to be on until this year. I will say Taxi was replaced by Coach, but that's about it. All the same Court shows I keep whining about.

All and all, it's like how Warners bought out local sindicated Bugs Bunny reruns and put them on CN, only to not air them at all. It's so sad we can't even turn to that cheap residual type stuff on local syndication.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And this is why I buy my childhood--from cartoons, sitcoms, and such--on DVD...to preserve it so it doesn't die like the networks and Hollywood have been trying to do to it via their BS parodies and crap-on-a-stick "remakes".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And this is why I buy my childhood--from cartoons, sitcoms, and such--on DVD...to preserve it so it doesn't die like the networks and Hollywood have been trying to do to it via their BS parodies and crap-on-a-stick "remakes".
I hear ya.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I hear ya.
Of course, my folks disprove of my love for my shows of years past, thinking I ought to be dealing with something current. To them, I say...pooh! After all, if we don't learn from our past, then history is bound to repeat itself!

peyjenk

Reaction score
They probably will add those sitcoms, considering George Lopez and Home Improvement are aired Nick-at-Nite.
Humph. When I was a kid, I Love Lucy, The Munsters, and The Patty Duke Show were on Nick-at-Nite. You know, real classic shows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will say they did a brilliant job with both Addams Family Moives, and the cartoon series made after them. But other than that, they treat everything else like its a joke.

I wish I could afford to buy everything on DVD. I still am missing all 3 volumes of Fraggle Rock, and Ducktales.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, aside from The Addams' and Popeye, most toon-to-live-action films tend to flop or not stay true to the original franchise.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, aside from The Addams' and Popeye, most toon-to-live-action films tend to flop or not stay true to the original franchise.
Actually, The Addams Family was live action first, then was remade into a cartoon series. I just recently learned that when "the original Addams Family" was added to TV Land's line-up and I was like "Whoa!" because I only grew up with the cartoon series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, The Addams Family was live action first, then was remade into a cartoon series. I just recently learned that when "the original Addams Family" was added to TV Land's line-up and I was like "Whoa!" because I only grew up with the cartoon series.
If you want a real mind blower, the cartoons (the 90's ones) were based off a movie, based off a TV show, based off (loosley) a series of New Yorker illustraited laughing squares (comics).

I thought Popeye was considered a flop. Quite a few people said it wasn't a great movie, and not one Robert Altman should have been proud of.

Plus, the first Flintstones film was pretty successful. Not hugely, and I remember a lot of John Goodman looking Fred toys on clearance and at discount stores for years to come. But still, a moderate success.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Actually, if you really want to be technical, you'd say that America's first freak family was made by Charles Addams as part of the Laughing Squares comic line, and eventually snowballed into a classic 60's sitcom, a retro 70's cartoon, a duo of hit films, a post-modern 90's cartoon, and then--IMO--a sadly god-awful attempt at making the Addams' hip for a new generation of TV watchers.

Thus, considering that all comics are essentially cartoons on paper, I'd consider the Addams' cartoons first before they turned live-action, hence why I label them and vastly underrated Popeye (and the even more vastly underrated Flinstones film) the toon-to-live-action movies that would remain true to their respective franchises--beyond the Addams' becoming scarier and even more gross--unlike so many post-1996 "remakes" have been.