...and Carroll Spinney as Big Bird

BEAR

Reaction score
In the credits of Sesame Street, Carroll Spinney is the one Muppeteer that always got special billing. They usually would list the human cast followed by "and Carroll Spinney as Big Bird and Oscar," then the rest of the Muppet performers after. I always found this interesting. I think Spinney certainly deserves this special credit, but what is gonna happen when he retires and Matt Vogel takes over Big Bird full time? Is it going to say "and Matt Vogel as Big Bird" or will they just leave him listed with the others? Just a thought.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess because originally Big Bird and Oscar were to be the only muppets to interact with humans on the street. And too, if it wasn't for Caroll, Jim wouldn't have anyone to do Big Bird, and the show probably wouldn't be where it is today. Just my thoughts.

Splurge

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I think Spinney certainly deserves this special credit, but what is gonna happen when he retires and Matt Vogel takes over Big Bird full time? Is it going to say "and Matt Vogel as Big Bird" or will they just leave him listed with the others? Just a thought.
Time will tell.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
What gets me is that Richard Hunt and Jim Henson aren't even credited as Muppeteers anymore, even though their voices are still heard.

Case in point: "Do the Rubber Duck" is shown a lot still, and several of Hunt's and Henson's characters perform on that skit.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A lot of recent Sesame Street specials and videos credits performers with their characters now as well. It wasn't always that way. It is hard to find a new Sesame Street video that doesn't list the performers with their main characters. The recent video All-Star Alphabet credits Kevin Clash as Elmo and then credits the other puppeteers.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
A lot of recent Sesame Street specials and videos credits performers with their characters now as well. It wasn't always that way. It is hard to find a new Sesame Street video that doesn't list the performers with their main characters. The recent video All-Star Alphabet credits Kevin Clash as Elmo and then credits the other puppeteers.
Yeah, I've noticed Kevin had top billing in the most recent Sesame Street Specials, considering Elmo's the main character there.

BEAR

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
What gets me is that Richard Hunt and Jim Henson aren't even credited as Muppeteers anymore, even though their voices are still heard.

Really? I could've sworn I saw their names. They were usually at the very end of the list.

Speaking of which, when they use material performed by Jim Henson or Richard Hunt or anyone else who has died, do their respected families get paid royalties for them?