• Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help.
  • Christmas Music
    Our 19th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.
  • 50 Years and Counting
    Read our review and discuss with fans the highly anticipated Sesame Street "50 Years and Counting" DVD set from Shout Factory featuring over five hours of beloved moments.
  • 50th Anniversary Celebration
    Read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on Sesame Street's 50th anniversary special. An official DVD is on the way.
  • "Muppets Now" announced for Disney+
    It's finally official. A new, unscripted short-form series, “Muppets Now”, is coming to Disney+ in 2020. Let us know your thoughts on the Muppets big announcement.
  • The Dark Crystal: "Age of Resistance"
    After a 36 year wait, return to the great conjunction. The Dark Crystal "Age of Resistance" is a mesmerizing and beautiful prequel series now on Netflix. Renew your essence today.
  • Music is Everywhere
    Muppet Central Radio is now on TorontoCast, TuneIn and Apple Music. Listen to Muppet music 24/7 wherever you go with TuneIn and Apple apps and devices.

...and Carroll Spinney as Big Bird

BEAR

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
7,370
Reaction score
34
In the credits of Sesame Street, Carroll Spinney is the one Muppeteer that always got special billing. They usually would list the human cast followed by "and Carroll Spinney as Big Bird and Oscar," then the rest of the Muppet performers after. I always found this interesting. I think Spinney certainly deserves this special credit, but what is gonna happen when he retires and Matt Vogel takes over Big Bird full time? Is it going to say "and Matt Vogel as Big Bird" or will they just leave him listed with the others? Just a thought.
 

D'Snowth

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
36,753
Reaction score
10,555
I guess because originally Big Bird and Oscar were to be the only muppets to interact with humans on the street. And too, if it wasn't for Caroll, Jim wouldn't have anyone to do Big Bird, and the show probably wouldn't be where it is today. Just my thoughts.
 

Splurge

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
652
Reaction score
6
BEAR said:
I think Spinney certainly deserves this special credit, but what is gonna happen when he retires and Matt Vogel takes over Big Bird full time? Is it going to say "and Matt Vogel as Big Bird" or will they just leave him listed with the others? Just a thought.
Time will tell.
 

jeffkjoe

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Messages
557
Reaction score
1
What gets me is that Richard Hunt and Jim Henson aren't even credited as Muppeteers anymore, even though their voices are still heard.

Case in point: "Do the Rubber Duck" is shown a lot still, and several of Hunt's and Henson's characters perform on that skit.
 

minor muppetz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
15,032
Reaction score
2,331
A lot of recent Sesame Street specials and videos credits performers with their characters now as well. It wasn't always that way. It is hard to find a new Sesame Street video that doesn't list the performers with their main characters. The recent video All-Star Alphabet credits Kevin Clash as Elmo and then credits the other puppeteers.
 

Daffyfan4ever

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2002
Messages
4,701
Reaction score
493
minor muppetz said:
A lot of recent Sesame Street specials and videos credits performers with their characters now as well. It wasn't always that way. It is hard to find a new Sesame Street video that doesn't list the performers with their main characters. The recent video All-Star Alphabet credits Kevin Clash as Elmo and then credits the other puppeteers.
Yeah, I've noticed Kevin had top billing in the most recent Sesame Street Specials, considering Elmo's the main character there.
 

BEAR

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
7,370
Reaction score
34
jeffkjoe said:
What gets me is that Richard Hunt and Jim Henson aren't even credited as Muppeteers anymore, even though their voices are still heard.

.
Really? I could've sworn I saw their names. They were usually at the very end of the list.

Speaking of which, when they use material performed by Jim Henson or Richard Hunt or anyone else who has died, do their respected families get paid royalties for them?
 
Top