ABC Orders Muppet Pilot To Series!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The majority of the reviews have been negative which is pretty sad, but rotten tomatoes gave it generally positive reviews, so I really want to watch it, and could care less what some critics who never really knew what the muppets were
Again, I like to think I know what the Muppets are . . . or were . . . and I don't think they were about bringing in outside people from other shows to try and write a Muppet show but make it like their other shows. That's still something Disney can't seem to get past.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Again, I like to think I know what the Muppets are . . . or were . . . and I don't think they were about bringing in outside people from other shows to try and write a Muppet show but make it like their other shows. That's still something Disney can't seem to get past.
You do realize that the one who brought all this to a head was a writer for Jim Himself?!?!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
That's why I made a spoiler thread; so no one would have to avoid this thread. Unfortunately no one seems to want to post in it ...
Thank you. I'd still like to visit this thread and read the discussion of the show but I don't want to take the chance of knowing anything beforehand. If others could honor and use the spoiler thread it would be appreciated.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but the usual staff writers didn't exactly give us gold recently either. The kinda alright I guess Muppet segments from the Gaga special were done by regulars. What made the two last movies work was that outside writing staff exactly. Otherwise, we'd get a stale stream of gimmick based movies and specials. Some of them probably classic retellings that aren't nearly as good as MCC or MTI. That's clearly what would have happened considering.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Hi everybody - I wasn't sure where to post this since the official "reaction thread" on this forum doesn't look like it will go live until after the first episode airs on ABC tonight.
But Mrs. Otter and I were pleasantly surprised to discover that The Muppets airs one night earlier in Canada (on Toronto's CityTV, which is available on cable packages across the country).
I know I'm "just one person" (you can hear Robin and Bernadette Peters singing already, can't you?) but as a Muppet fan for the past 40 years I had to share some thoughts about this and answer some of the questions you guys likely have as the American launch is only hours away.

IS IT FUNNY? Yes. Incredibly. My wife and I laughed all the way through it. We had to go back and watch some of the lines again because we were laughing too hard from other gags. (Much like The Simpsons in its prime.)
IS IT TRUE TO THE CHARACTERS? Yes, completely. There wasn't a single moment when I listened to a line of dialogue and thought, "Wow, he/she would never say that." Kermit, Fozzie, Scooter, Rizzo and Pepe in particular come off extremely well in this regard. But at the same time, you can see some additional layers of depth being added, especially to Kermit.
DOES IT BALANCE THE NEW FORMAT WITH THE MUPPET SHOW VIBE? Actually, I think it does, particularly during the Up Late With Miss Piggy segments and the very specific backstage stuff (which is beautifully filmed, I might add). And if you're anything like me, you're going to love the way the episode opens. (I actually applauded. Yes, I did. Hands will clap for this one tonight.)
DOES IT ADDRESS THE BREAKUP? Yes, and I would say successfully and even a little poignantly. I won't spoil the scene that reveals why and how Kermit and Piggy broke up but it shows a level of mature Muppet writing and performing that wasn't always seen in this relationship (outside of TM2011 and MMW). And I think at least a fair chunk of you are going to like how Kermit and Piggy find a way to work through this.
DOES DENISE THROW OFF THE TRADITIONAL MUPPET CHEMISTRY? Not quite, but I think the jury's still out on the character herself. She has one very funny scene with Kermit but otherwise I think it may be too early to tell. Be patient, though. I think we'll get a payoff on this one sooner than we expected.
IS THE HUMOR INAPPROPRIATELY "ADULT"? If you've seen the trailers, you've seen everything that could even remotely straddle that line. It's not raunchy, it's not R-rated, it's not even PG-13, for goodness' sake. Little kids won't get some of these jokes but they didn't get all the TMS jokes, either. That was the way Jim and his writing staff always approached things. Very little has changed in that regard. (Footnote: You're going to love Sam Eagle's first complaints.)

So there you are...Bottom line: I don't think everyone everywhere will like this (and a couple of my FB friends have grumbled about how they were hoping it would mine the nostalgia vein a little more) but my wife and I loved it and we're really excited for the rest of the world to see it. Have a blast watching it tonight - we did!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Just letting everyone know, I'm going to the Center for Puppetry Arts to see the premiere. So it might be awhile before I review my thoughts.

ConstantineFan

Reaction score
I am hoping they use guest stars that will attract teenagers to the show like Ross Lynch, Hayley Atwell, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Clark Gregg, and Tom Hiddleston.

Status
Not open for further replies.