ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's my first time seeing those pitches and I can see why they were turned down. What in the world does Dave Brubeck have to do with rock and roll?
I don't mind some of the designs. They've worked on T-shirts really well, I guess. But I don't think I'd care too see them in animation. Then again, I thought the same about the new Scooby-Doo series, but once animated the designs look a lot better, and I can see what they were going for.

Still, I just don't see the Muppets animated in any form ever again (and no, wise guy, Doozers doesn't count, besides...that's Henson). Maybe if Muppet Babies were to come back (something I feel Disney should do, since their edutainment series have became really good), but I just don't see the point in them being animated. The only series I felt worked was Dog City, which blended puppetry and animation a lot more brilliantly than LMM ever did. Plus, I bet Nelvana was a lot more reliable than Toei.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Well, the Muppets might be going to Australia later this year, so maybe this is somehow tied to this new series.
I can tell you for a fact, that the Australian thing is not related in any way shape or form.

Also that's been post-poned...or cancelled altogether....Hopefully just post-poned though.

smalltimecrook

Reaction score
So avoiding the conversation once again being hijacked into whether people like/can afford Netflix, does anyone know if it might still be a possibility that The Muppets might be picked up by a streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, etc? I know the show had a mixed reaction with fans, but personally I really loved it and thought it was going from strength to strength, so I'm just wondering if that initial rumour of a possible Netflix pickup is still a possibility. Does anyone have any inside information if the show is still actively being shopped around to streaming services and could still be resurrected or is the feeling at Muppet Studios that this is very much a dead horse and they need to move on?

galagr

Reaction score
I think we have to come to terms with the fact that won't have a critically successful Muppet production again unless it's sickeningly sweet, all of the Muppets are nice to each other, and they sing Rainbow Connection and Mahna Mahna. Sorry, everybody. The Muppets apparently aren't allowed to experiment and *gasp* develop the characters in new ways. Nononono, the Muppets should be doomed to repeat everything that they're done from a show that premiered 40 years ago.

We've all the seen the headlines of those cheeky articles written by people with an over inflated sense of self worth. "When I turned on "The Muppets", Kermit wasn't sitting on a log and strumming his banjo. What the heck?" or "The Muppets isn't anything like the Muppet Show. Where's all muh nostalgia? I can't come to terms with change" or, even better "Why "The Muppets" sucks despite the fact that I stopped watching after the first episode".

Was this show perfect? Nope. Far from it. But, that doesn't change the fact that it was a valiant effort to change up the formula for our beloved characters and was a very good effort at that. I enjoyed it and many other did as well.

Ah well. Hopefully Kirk has something good up his sleeve. Provided he's even talking about Disney's Muppets, and not referring to some Jim Henson production.

Although, aheheh, let's not forget some of his directing credits...Muppets Wizard of Oz, anyone? How about Studio DC: Almost Live?