ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Not happy it got cancelled at all! The show was a lot better than most shows nowadays. Sure it got off to a rocky start, but it soon hit its stride and it became a good show. We'll see if Netflix picks it up or not. ABC is making a huge mistake!

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Maybe it has to do with the fact that many of the shows created are products of their time. We love watching them but, to be honest, many of them have a quality to them all their own and we know what decade and time period they come from. Maybe they are too topical for their own good? Granted TMS was not canceled, Jim and co. from what I remember wanted to stop before it got stale. Fraggle Rock tied things up with a pretty bow, and as we all know SST has changed DRASTICALLY.

• 1970's - TMS, very similar to other variety shows (Saturday Night Live, Carol Burnett, Laugh In). Seems most new Muppet shows end up being compared to this (and rightfully so. it seemed to be when the muppets were truly in their element and in their prime.)
  • 1980's - JHH, didn't really get a chance by NBC (seem familiar)? Seemed to play to the "Wonderful World of Disney", with a more updated "grungy" "techy" update of TMS. This show deserved more episodes.
  • 1990's - MT, again didn't get much of a chance but lasted longer than either JHH or TM'15. Found a home on Disney Channel where it lasted a bit longer. Very dramatic and more, sitcom like than it's predecessors I feel. Spent more time backstage and behind the scenes than onstage during TMS. Funny enough I have no idea what to compare this one too.
  • 2000's - No series but got a few Made for TV movies, which again were sort of specials, sort of Wonderful World of Disney ish? A lot of Made for TV movies seemed to come out of this era so I think it spoke to what networks were looking for at the time.
  • 2010's - TM'2015 - Canceled too soon but had a lot of support from fans and a lot of promotion. and to be fair, from the look of it, ABC seems to be doing a total wipe out of just about EVERYTHING save for the shows mentioned above. Comparisons were made to the Office but many shows now have that handicam / mockumentary look to them.

What i'm trying to say is, we can look back at these years later, and know where they're coming from. We can understand what their referencing. Each time they've managed to take the material around them, and appropriate it. The Muppets are very good at that. However for some reason not since TMM has there been a long running show with these characters. Not saying there will never be again.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
I guess Disney will have to sell the Muppets, because Disney and ABC suck at giving them a chance. Screw you, ABC!:mad:

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The point is to keep the characters fresh in everyone's minds. If that means we have to play the nostalgia card for the 3 billionth time, then that's just gonna have to happen.
I guess, but it just doesn't seem to work, The Muppets played the nostalgia card and got 9 million viewers, only 2 million stayed by the end. I don't think the muppets will ever get a chance at TV sadly, and it sucks because everything was in their cards this time unlike JHH and MT. Maybe we'll see a new muppet show in 20 years or something.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
We were excited though. The Muppets and the performers and crew got a chance to collaborate and work together in front of the camera again. They got to make millions of people happy, even if only for a while. Wasn't that Kermit's goal at the end of TMM? I have a feeling this show, or the hype around it, introduced a lot of new people to the Muppets, who, like us, will discover and rediscover the older shows, and rally behind new ones. It was a different show aimed at a different audience for a different era. It was nice while it lasted.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
I guess, but it just doesn't seem to work, The Muppets played the nostalgia card and got 9 million viewers, only 2 million stayed by the end. I don't think the muppets will ever get a chance at TV sadly, and it sucks because everything was in their cards this time unlike JHH and MT. Maybe we'll see a new muppet show in 20 years or something.
And it's ABC's fault! Now we'll never see the muppets for the next twenty years. I hope ABC gets shut down. That will be their punishment. At least, Mickey Mouse is safer on Disney Channel. I'm sticking to cartoons from now on.

Muppy

Reaction score
So sad. I was really hoping for a second season, as the last episode ended with such a high note (and a cliff hanger). Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end. I just wish this lasted a little bit longer.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Such a darn shame.

Every episode of season 1 was amazing. It brought back that wonderful feeling of having a hilarious comedy show to watch during the week that I haven't felt since The Office went off the air :/

Oh well, can't say I'm surprised, to be honest.

So what do you think the chances are we'll get the show on Blu-ray or at least DVD?

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
I guess Disney will have to sell The Muppets to another company.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Everyone in Muppetdom (fans, puppeteers, producers) should put a funding collection together, buy the franchise then give the characters to either Steve Whitmire, the performers as a collective or back to the Jim Henson Company.

Stupid idea, I know. But they are the people I'd prefer them to be in the hands of.

OR give them to me. With a little financial backing, I could come up with some pretty funky ideas :smile: