A thought on the use of the word "comeback"

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Does anyone have IMDB pro in order to see more information? The "Untitled Muppet Project" is listed as "in development" and slated for a 2012 release. Could this be our Muppet movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204342/
I'm not rally sure but has anyone else notice that Jason Segal has kept real quite about this for some time now. It's like when he was writeing it he was talking about it every week, and now we are not hearing anything from him or anyone else.

beaker

Reaction score
That's alright... I was more worried I said something I didn't remember saying.
Um dude, you don't remember talking about existential Deterministic philosophy, antiquated esoteric theology, Fibanacci number sequences, golden ratios and Sumerian belief structures all found within various Henson productions?

...you don't? Oh wait...

beaker

Reaction score
A film is never done until it's in the can and the reels (digital or traditional) are on the way to the cineplex. That said...

Disney has spent much of 2009 (and some of 2008) putting forth steady drumbeat of Muppety goodness in pop culture. They're setting the stage for opportunity for this attempt rather than tossing Kermit & company into the deep end and hoping they'll miraculously make it.

Things are rough for everybody (including Disney) right now. There's a belt-tightening across the entertainment board. Will this benefit or hurt the Muppets? Will it make no difference? The Muppets are a good example of a property that can get a lot of bang for its buck if marketed properly. That's being done now. Much of the promotional devices are cost effective and actually reach more people.

I envision that the Halloween special next year will be a good opportunity to promote a film coming the following year (2011). It appears the Halloween special is likely to happen. I guess that's my first focus as a fan. After that we'll see. I'm optimistic. :smile:
They've been planning that Halloween special since the early 2000's, I'll believe it when I see it.

What I'm curious about, is why there's been no talk of a return to a weekly tv show? Or tv shows...I could totally see a half hour live show from Time Square done MTV style/on the street...
or a return to the Muppet Show/Muppets Tonight thing...or
a Muppets.com like series of sketches. Or something totally out of left field(like how strange Jim Henson Hour felt)

I worry we won't see "cheapest movie" nor the stoller/seagal thing(is this one in the same?) As long as its not yet another "classic retelling" I'll be excited...

Until I see production photos onset and or a trailer with footage, I'll believe it when I see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They've been planning that Halloween special since the early 2000's, I'll believe it when I see it.

What I'm curious about, is why there's been no talk of a return to a weekly tv show? Or tv shows...I could totally see a half hour live show from Time Square done MTV style/on the street...
or a return to the Muppet Show/Muppets Tonight thing...or
a Muppets.com like series of sketches. Or something totally out of left field(like how strange Jim Henson Hour felt)
Really, in this climate I can't see a Muppet TV show at all. We've got an industry that doesn't know what it's doing or how it fits into a computer age, and basically pawns off scripted union fair for cheap exploitative reality shows. Even if they fail miserably, they spend so little on these cheap programs they tend to lose less money than on gambling with an actual show with actual production values. Not to mention the fact that ABC barely knows where it's at right now, and I doubt we'd see Muppets with a weekly TV show on any of the other Disney owned networks. Would be fun to see them on ESPN talking about sports, though... rebuild and recast a Louis Kazagger?

I worry we won't see "cheapest movie" nor the stoller/seagal thing(is this one in the same?) As long as its not yet another "classic retelling" I'll be excited...
Cheapest has the potential to happen, only because it's been formally announced. As Frogboy said, a film's not ready until it's in the can awaiting shipment to theaters. Anything can happen, positively or negatively. Unless Segal and Stoller are still connected to the project, I doubt we'd see that film they were. Among other things, they have a lot of other things on their plate. Segal's on a high rated CBS sitcom, and like so many movies a year... these guys are pretty busy. Plus, I don't think they appreciated that the script was leaked online.

As for "classic retellings"... well, I'd like to think they've been badly burned by OZ (Yes, I'm really hard on that film), and I doubt they'd consider another one anytime soon. I can't say I didn't like MCC and MTI, but even though the writing was solid on those 2 projects, MFS and VMX score a lot higher for me, if only for the reason that Muppets are playing themselves, and not having to be secondary and tertiary characters to human stars. I think that the only Muppet retelling I've seen so far that holds up to the muppets is "Muppet Peter Pan." A Comic book.

And if, somehow down the line we wind up getting an actual non-comic book retelling, I want to see a story that people haven't overused to oblivion. Christmas Carol was one thing... everyone and their mother did that old chestnut... but Wizard of Oz? That project was doomed from the script. Come on... Muppet Arsene Lupin... Muppet Journey to the West... something clever if you absolutely must.

matleo

Reaction score
Um dude, you don't remember talking about existential Deterministic philosophy, antiquated esoteric theology, Fibanacci number sequences, golden ratios and Sumerian belief structures all found within various Henson productions?
now THERE'S a conversation where I didn't agree with you! I don't care what you say mean "Mahana Mahna" is not a commentary on man's struggle against innerself within the confines of modern Judeo-christian society but rather a symbol of neo-narcissism brought on by media mass marketing to neo-ludites.

--Matt

beaker

Reaction score
now THERE'S a conversation where I didn't agree with you! I don't care what you say mean "Mahana Mahna" is not a commentary on man's struggle against innerself within the confines of modern Judeo-christian society but rather a symbol of neo-narcissism brought on by media mass marketing to neo-ludites.

--Matt
Aw, one cannot argue such a tersely worded inference, however...I do believe it was Carl Jung in his 1962 book "Memories Dreams Reflections" where he opined "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." If one were to give an etymological breakdown of "Mahna Mahna"; we learn the word
"Mah" is the 9th century Avestan language word for moon and Zoroastrian divinity. Whereby "Na" is the a specific type of Clusiaceae trees found in southern Nepal and Indonesia.
Mahna Mahna then becomes "MoonTree, Moontree", or "divinity within a moon or tree".

The "doot doot do doot doot" thus would come from an obscure mid 17th century Dutch medical drawing found in the "Portrait Collection of the Laboratory of Pathology" at the University of Leiden; based of course on Nicolaes Tulp's Observationes medicae circa 1672.

This should be pretty much obvious to even the most lay of cursory Muppety observations.

matleo

Reaction score
Aw, one cannot argue such a tersely worded inference, however...I do believe it was Carl Jung in his 1962 book "Memories Dreams Reflections" where he opined "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." If one were to give an etymological breakdown of "Mahna Mahna"; we learn the word
"Mah" is the 9th century Avestan language word for moon and Zoroastrian divinity. Whereby "Na" is the a specific type of Clusiaceae trees found in southern Nepal and Indonesia.
Mahna Mahna then becomes "MoonTree, Moontree", or "divinity within a moon or tree".

The "doot doot do doot doot" thus would come from an obscure mid 17th century Dutch medical drawing found in the "Portrait Collection of the Laboratory of Pathology" at the University of Leiden; based of course on Nicolaes Tulp's Observationes medicae circa 1672.

This should be pretty much obvious to even the most lay of cursory Muppety observations.
That may be true but I believe it was Nietszche who said
"YOU'RE WRONG! Deal with it!"

Super Scooter

Reaction score
In the words of Kermit the Frog:

"What the **** was that?"