A thought on the use of the word "comeback"

matleo

Reaction score
Been thinking about this for...well, a few years really and wanted to post a few thoughts on the "comeback" that the Muppets appear to be making. While I'm excited to see the "Bohemian Rhapsody" video do so well and even more excited to see the ENTIRE band (including Lips) appear at the lighting of the christmas tree last night. I have to question the use words like 'comeback' and 'resurgence'.

I've been on MuppetCentral for a long time now and it seems that for almost every year we've been open for business there's been a thread announcing the "TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF THE MUPPETS!" And I have to say every year that thread irritates the beejeebees out of me. You see it implies that they ever really left. Or for some reason the previous year of was somehow a let down.

But think about this....

In 2001--we had Muppetfest, the first Muppet Show DVDs, and the promise of good things to come including action figures and a new DVD.

in 2002, we had Kermit's Swamp years, the release of the first Muppet figures, MORE Time-Life DVDs, the Very merry Muppet Christmas movie, the windows at Macy's, a deal to hock American Express and the promise of more good things to come.

'03 gave us the height of the Muppet figs, an entire endcap devoted to the gang at barnes and Noble, Muppet Monopoly, Muppet plush, the cast puzzle, a new video game, a statue honoring Jim at the Universoty of Maryland, THE HENSON buyback and of course the same promise of good things to come.

I could go on of course but I think I've made my point. Anyone looking for stuff to get excited about simply has to click here

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2007/index.shtml

and follow the links in the upper left hand corner for a complete timeline.

And I know that some years were better than others and some projects better than others but I think it's safe to say that the characters have done a pretty good job of staying alive for the last few years and I find the talk of a 'comeback' or a 'resurgence' something of an oxymoron considering the characters never really went away.

Having said that, I will say that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is THE BEST thing they've done in years and I'm pleased to see that Disney is taking steps to make more use of the library of characters like the band, Beau, Lew Zealand and many others and I hope that the year ahead is as successful for the Muppets as Disney (and the fan community) would like it to be. But most importantly I'm really hoping to make it through 2010 without a thread about the Muppets making a 'comeback' in 2011.

Just felt someone needed to say that. Thanks for reading. you may go about your business now.

Respectfully, Matleo

Frogster

Reaction score
I actually agree totally. This new youtube video is- and I'm sorry if anyone disagrees- the coolest thing they have done since Muppet Christmas Carol. I also don't think that, just because of one video, all of a sudden everything the Muppets do is just as awesome or even more so. This isn't considered the coolest thing ever by everyone. It's just resonates with us so deeply because we're Muppet fans. The 'outside' world isn't paying that much attention. And yes, a lot of people out there have seen this video, but it doesn't guarantee absolute success in the future. Who knows, their other videos might actually stink.

If any of you guys disagree with this, then answer this; remember not long ago when Kermit was being performed by someone other than Steve Whitmire? There was a big fuss about it here, but was there ever so much as one article about Kermit's new performer by anyone else?

Matleo has a good point about all of this. This site needs to refrain from using "Year of the Muppets" so frequently. If really good videos and even specials come along that are also enjoyable, THEN you can mark it as the year of the Muppets. The Bohemian Rhapsody should just be called "Week of the Muppets." There's usually a few things a year that pop up, some of them ok, some of them not. Swamp Years, MWoO, and VMMCM weren't much to write home about. The things that stood out, to me, were the release of merchandise. You really can't ruin merchandise with sub-par plots and easily forgettable tunes.

I think the problem we as Muppet fans tend to have is this; we've seen a lot more disappointments than successes in the last 15+ years, and when something remotely good comes along, we get too excited about it. In my opinion, Muppets these days are like SNL skits. They're best in small doses; there's no need to make a movie out of them unless it's something they haven't done AND it's worthy to make a movie out of.

On that note, if they make one more lousy Christmas special, I am personally going to write the people at Muppet Studios a letter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I consider it a come back only in the sense that Disney mismanaged the property after they fired the first head of the Muppet division due to interoffice politics, and that the first big launch of the franchise was Oz... and I don't care if you agree with Frogster or not, that was a freaking eye sore of a project. I blame that nonsensical little grab for potential demographics for the fact that they've been slow and cautious about future projects.

Sure, we had the big 2002 (or so) Palisades toy push that got us VMX, the initial Time Life TMS DVD's and tons of merchandise... but once Oz hit, tumbleweeds, yo.

And I really do think the internet is the best place for them at the moment. I really do think they deserve a movie, but they also deserve better writing. And no directing to make it look like an episode of 1960's Batman (again, OZ... making it ugly on top of everything). I think that Disney can potentially give the Muppets better leadership than Henson had. I really REALLY want to see the supposed "visionless director" that made them hire the guy who went on to make those Garfield movies. But as far as the internet videos go... A), you can reach a much bigger audience with a 5 minute clip you can forward with an e-mail than a TV show or a movie (unless you give it an insane amount of buzz- and even then, it doesn't always work) and B) I really think if Jim were still with us, he would have really embraced the viral video medium.

So, I don't know if it's really so much as a comeback or relaunch per se, but we are talking about stuff happening after a 4-5 year wait. And I stress, while all this stuff is unfurling at Disney, Fraggle Rock the Movie and Dark Crystal 2 are sitting in a dusty closet.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
If any of you guys disagree with this, then answer this; remember not long ago when Kermit was being performed by someone other than Steve Whitmire? There was a big fuss about it here, but was there ever so much as one article about Kermit's new performer by anyone else?
Well, there was one article. Don't recall where it was, but it was outside of the Muppet fan community. And a LOT of people noticed the change, and while they weren't as upset as many of us were, they did express that something was wrong with the performances.

I agree, this isn't "year of the Muppets" yet, especially with such a roller coaster ride as the one you bring up, Frogster. What is apparent, though, is that this is a "comeback" in the sense of quality Muppet productions. While I've enjoyed pretty much all of what the Muppets have done, this video is up to classic Muppet standards. That, I think, is where the "comeback" comes in.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I first was told of the viral video becasuse a friend of a friend of a friend had seen it first. I'm the fan, but some joe-shmoe stumbled across it and told many people before news got to me while I was on vacation and away from my computer. This new YouTube video is not just a fan find.

It is a comback in that there is now an active, comprehensive plan for the Muppet brand and not just promotion for a singular product. This time Disney is standing firmly behind the Muppets. They're allowing Kermit and company to remain uniquely Muppety while blending the gang into their family of Disney characters. In case anyone has missed it - this is all new!

However, if the Muppets don't hit a nerve in mainstream culture next year things will likely revert back to what we're used to seeing. Let's hope people still have enough love for the Muppets for growth potential.

Things we know are happening:
* Many high profile appearances on a variety of networks and YouTube.
* Theme Park ads and in-park promotion.
* Muppet album of new music
* Muppet Show season 4 DVD
* A variety of toys (whatnots, posers, etc) and products including iphone applications.

Planned things we hope are still happening:
* Halloween TV Special
* New Muppet Movie

And then there's the unknown...

I love the Muppets and they never really "went" anywhere for me, but to others they did. They are back now. Let's hope they stay.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Just had to chime in and say I agree with everything Jamie said. He's right on the money here. BoRhap (isn't that fun to say? :wink:) is a LOT more than just enjoyable to the obsessed fans--people from everywhere I finding it and loving it. It was trending topic on Twitter for two days, for corn's sake!

The Muppets are back with a plan, baby. They're gonna hit it hard. :big_grin:

Also... Jamie, on Muppets Studio's Facebook page they commented on someone's comment on their wall saying that the movie was still happening. So no worries there! :sing:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Joe Gillis: I didn't know you were planning a comeback.
Norma Desmond: I hate that word. It's a return, a return to the millions of people who have never forgiven me for deserting the screen.

Alvin

Reaction score
I will say this, since the death of Jim Henson...I saw the Muppets taking a downward turn. I mean don't get me wrong...I support the Muppets 110% and whatever they do...I'm all for it. BUT, after Christmas carol...I thought things went southward...Wizard of Oz...was not the best, and Treasure Island was good, but not the best...it's been up and down. But seeing a renewing and refreshing comeback of the Muppets is the coolest thing since Muppets Take Manhattan! I kind of frowned when Disney bought them, but it looks as if though things are looking up!

I am so excited about Season 4 DVD and the new movie, and all the things that are in the works! To see them everytime you turn the TV on is so cool! I just wish they would get some better puppeteers and voices for some of them. Steve needs to stick with Kermit...I think and some of the other not so well known muppets IE: Scooter, Rowlf etc...etc...need better voicing and more screen time..The Muppets are the Muppets and they ALL together make it happen, sure the more well known ones are in the forefront, but bring back the days of the Muppet Show! 2010 is gonna be a GREAT year and I can't wait to see what happens!

"It all starts with a dream"

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I love the Muppets and they never really "went" anywhere for me, but to others they did. They are back now. Let's hope they stay.
Yeah, sort of a comeback to celebrity status. When you think about it, they've been in (and are going to be) in the media more this month than we usually see them all year. There hasn't been a whole lot of Muppet stuff this year, but since the release of the BoRhap video, it seems people are excited about the Muppets again. And not just on here.