A Muppets Family Christmas on DVD

David French

Reaction score
I understand that music rights need to be recleared for a the DVD release of a TV show/special. But is there some kind of other legal snag that's preventing the owner (Disney?) from releasing the film uncut, or can royalties for the songs be paid to clear up the music issues?

Songs like Sleigh Ride and Santa Claus is Coming to Town have been cleared for literally dozens if not hundreds of releases, both CD and DVD. But would something prevent Disney from filling out the paperwork and paying the royalties necessarily for an uncut release, other than reluctance to do so?
It's got nothing to do with reluctance and I think you're getting a bit confused here. The issue is all to do with royalties - Disney cannot clear the songs in question for R1 release. They simply can't release the special uncut for R1; if they did then the likely scenario is they could find themselves starring in an episode of "Judge Judy".

As for all other DVD release that have those songs, presumably the video label in question were more than happy to pay the asking price because it wasn't too rich for their blood.

turkishproverb

Reaction score
If a song is unclearable then it is unclearable, and no amount of money or legal battles will do anything to change that situation.

AIUI, the problem is that the songs in question cannot be cleared for the North America & Canada markets, and if Disney cannot resolve that issue then the special won't be appearing uncut on DVD any time soon.
Really? WHy can't they be cleared then?

From experience the reason "rights issues" is usually given as an answer is entirely a matter of certain items costing too much. If it's something else, I could understand, but off the top of my head I can't think what, except a rights depute in progress. IF it is money than clearing could be possible, however unlikely.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Really? WHy can't they be cleared then?

From experience the reason "rights issues" is usually given as an answer is entirely a matter of certain items costing too much. If it's something else, I could understand, but off the top of my head I can't think what, except a rights depute in progress. IF it is money than clearing could be possible, however unlikely.
I have also been wondering where this info can be found, I know i don't have much knowledge on the copyrights subject or how it all really works, i mean, here are some random comments of mine, but is it an issue that "it's lovely weather for a bear and a snow man" rather then the real lyrics? i wouldn't think so because both Santa clause is coming to town and home for the holidays are sung with their actual words.

A version of Santa clause is coming to town was used in the new special letters to Santa at the beginning, now does that mean it could be cut if it's released on dvd? I wouldn't think so. Maybe an issue of the time that MFC was made? I know I'm just bring up crazy little points that might not have anything to do with anything but i am just curious on the who, what, where, why's and whens of the subject because of course we Muppet fans love this special to death and we talk about it ever year. Just wondering someone could fill me in?