A Muppets Family Christmas on DVD

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Also the UK DVD is uncut - I love having a region free DVD player! I'm watching it right now!
No it's not uncut, but it's the best version that have been released. The cut is minor and if you read the info on the 2 links you will discover that the stocking scene with Ma bear and Fozzie are missing. This is due to the use of a change in the master copy they used and that the old master is of a lower quality.

dwmckim

Reaction score
If Disney released Muppets Family Christmas on dvd, i have a real good feeling that they'd learn from the TMS S1 dvds and be aware of fans' discontent with the previous MFC video releases and put its full financial and legal might behind them like they did the subsequent seasons of TMS...i'd think Disney would be drooling over themselves to be able to put a dvd out there of the Muppets' most beloved and requested specials with "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER - COMPLETE AND UNCUT" all over its packaging and advertising.

These days i'm more concerned that with a Disney MFC release, the bigger challenge would be in clearing the rights to the various families of characters than the songs. Most likely, it wouldn't be a problem - Sesame Workshop has always been never provided any problems at any time in the past with allowing Sesame characters making cameos in other Muppet previously filmed productions being allowed to be in the video releases...the Babies are already owned by Disney as well, and i can't see Henson not allowing the Fraggles to appear...the only slight catch would be if they had to get any kind of approval from HIT Entertainment for the video rights - if HIT has any kind of control/approval of Fraggles on dvd releases, they may decide to get revenge on Disney for not allowing Kermit to appear in _their_ Christmas video releases of Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy. But again even in the probably unlikely event HIT had to give its say-so, i think they would either broker a deal where they would allow the Fraggles to appear in MFC, Muppets Celebration of 30 Years, or Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson dvd releases if Disney gives them permission to use Kermit in any subsequent releases of EO, CT, and the like. Of the various companies, Disney is the big corporate shark here - they can throw money at the other companies and get the character and song rights, it's just more in the reverse when HIT wants to use Kermit in a dvd, they can't afford Disney's terms (or after some of the stuff we've learned by now about HIT, they may have just been to cheap/uncaring to go through the trouble)

But since if all goes to already well-laid plans, all three character groups: Muppets, Fraggles, and Sesame Street should all be hot properties all at the same time - and i'd be willing to bet that not only will there be a 2009 or 2010 release of Muppets Family Christmas with all songs intact and (lost footage aside) uncut, but also with awesome special features!

David French

Reaction score
If Disney released Muppets Family Christmas on dvd, i have a real good feeling that they'd learn from the TMS S1 dvds and be aware of fans' discontent with the previous MFC video releases and put its full financial and legal might behind them like they did the subsequent seasons of TMS...i'd think Disney would be drooling over themselves to be able to put a dvd out there of the Muppets' most beloved and requested specials with "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER - COMPLETE AND UNCUT" all over its packaging and advertising.

These days i'm more concerned that with a Disney MFC release, the bigger challenge would be in clearing the rights to the various families of characters than the songs. Most likely, it wouldn't be a problem - Sesame Workshop has always been never provided any problems at any time in the past with allowing Sesame characters making cameos in other Muppet previously filmed productions being allowed to be in the video releases...the Babies are already owned by Disney as well, and i can't see Henson not allowing the Fraggles to appear...the only slight catch would be if they had to get any kind of approval from HIT Entertainment for the video rights - if HIT has any kind of control/approval of Fraggles on dvd releases, they may decide to get revenge on Disney for not allowing Kermit to appear in _their_ Christmas video releases of Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy. But again even in the probably unlikely event HIT had to give its say-so, i think they would either broker a deal where they would allow the Fraggles to appear in MFC, Muppets Celebration of 30 Years, or Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson dvd releases if Disney gives them permission to use Kermit in any subsequent releases of EO, CT, and the like. Of the various companies, Disney is the big corporate shark here - they can throw money at the other companies and get the character and song rights, it's just more in the reverse when HIT wants to use Kermit in a dvd, they can't afford Disney's terms (or after some of the stuff we've learned by now about HIT, they may have just been to cheap/uncaring to go through the trouble)

But since if all goes to already well-laid plans, all three character groups: Muppets, Fraggles, and Sesame Street should all be hot properties all at the same time - and i'd be willing to bet that not only will there be a 2009 or 2010 release of Muppets Family Christmas with all songs intact and (lost footage aside) uncut, but also with awesome special features!
If a song is unclearable then it is unclearable, and no amount of money or legal battles will do anything to change that situation.

AIUI, the problem is that the songs in question cannot be cleared for the North America & Canada markets, and if Disney cannot resolve that issue then the special won't be appearing uncut on DVD any time soon.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I checked that out and it's since it's been so long since I've seen the television broadcasts, I didn't think that much was edited on the DVD. That's a shame because my mom really likes that one too. It would be nice to watch some of the edits from the broadcast. I know I saw a saw the part with Muppet Babies singing 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' on You Tube about a year or two ago. I don't know whether or not it's still there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Paley Center for Media at Los Angeles and New York has the whole special uncut in its viewing library. Thank goodness it's official somewhere!

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
Do they show this special on tv anymore (uncut as well)?

I remember years ago, when I was a kid, watching this uncut on the Hallmark Channel. If I had known then what I know now I would have taped it!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No not really, it's frustrating that so many other specials are available (when they don't need to be heh), but Muppet Family Christmas isn't.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No not really, it's frustrating that so many other specials are available (when they don't need to be heh), but Muppet Family Christmas isn't.
Something tells me Disney would love to get it out, but dw put up various reasons why it's barely surmountable. Too many copyrights clashing together from a company that once owned them all. A disclaimer for CTW at the time, maybe... but all of them were in Henson's ownership at the time. Unless HIT made some offer with Disney, and considering a certain li'l green dude was missing from their last 2 releases- remember that, I don't think we'd have it in any from usable.

I mean, the music rights are one thing. And, as David said, sometimes you can't bargain with them no matter what (and this is one of those times).... Even a cut version would be welcomed. The DVD's are going for insane "Nyeah nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh" scalper prices (Those scalpers are worse than satan), if it were possible, you'd think they do it. It is a Christmas special after all.

Which comes into my second part... any stupid Christmas special, even ones that aren't even that big are easy to find (can't find Rodney the Reindeer anymore, though). Who cares about Sonic Christmas Blast? it was beyond terrible with no plot for 5 minutes (believe me, I wasted 5 bucks on morbid curiosity... at least Robotnik was kinda funny in it). And there are just so many I keep seeing, while looking for a good one (I just can't seem to find "Twas the Night Before Bumpy"). That said, what the heck is up with the Cartoon Network Christmas special DVD's? there's like 2 Christmas episodes on each volume, and the rest are basically random cartoons that have to do with Birthdays or snow... :batty:

Reaction score
I understand that music rights need to be recleared for a the DVD release of a TV show/special. But is there some kind of other legal snag that's preventing the owner (Disney?) from releasing the film uncut, or can royalties for the songs be paid to clear up the music issues?

Songs like Sleigh Ride and Santa Claus is Coming to Town have been cleared for literally dozens if not hundreds of releases, both CD and DVD. But would something prevent Disney from filling out the paperwork and paying the royalties necessarily for an uncut release, other than reluctance to do so?

.the only slight catch would be if they had to get any kind of approval from HIT Entertainment for the video rights - if HIT has any kind of control/approval of Fraggles on dvd releases, they may decide to get revenge on Disney for not allowing Kermit to appear in _their_ Christmas video releases of Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy
I was just thinking about that, and that's a very good, very real concern.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I was just thinking about that, and that's a very good, very real concern.
From what I understand, the footage of Fraggles and Sesame Muppets is safe from being cut. Henson and Sesame Workshop have no problem with the footage being used on Disney DVD's since they don't own the special anymore.