A Heart of Gold

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The Count said:
No Beth... Lisa's left and Ryan's right, andthat makes you and me March and May, you'd be May and I'd be March. And that'd make Christy my sis Sideways.
Ahem... Not quite actually. My half and I actually figured this out yesterday on MSN...

Lisa IS left, and Prawnie is always right, which makes Leyla sideways for some weird reason (of course it's weird, it's Leyla), and Lisa is March because she was born in March, Leyla gets May 'cause she was born in May, then onto the next side we have myself as thunder because I'm so loud (apparently), and Lisa's lightning because she's so shocking (Ahhh!! Wocka! Wocka!), Lisa is DEFINITELY headslap, I mean, c'mon, she's Lisa! And I have a blink monopoly.

So, yeah, random gibberish from da Prawn unt his half.

(P.S. Oh half-a mine, PM or e-mail me, I'm not getting on MSN tonight.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw... And here I thought we'd have a chance at cracking that prawn and breaking into Lisa's inner gibberish circle. Oh well... At least Christy can be O, Beth P, and me Q. What? Does that make sense? Probably not. Oh well... More story please? Soonerishkbbible?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ed said:
Does that make sense?
Yes, but why make sense when it's more profitable to make dollars?

MORE PLEASE!

...Oh wait... It's my own thread...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That is. Now post some more and maybe there'll be a treat of new reviews magically left under your pillow in the orning.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Thirty-Nine

They crowded on stools at a tall, round table, each of the men with a root beer at hand, and the girls each holding the sort of drink that was refreshing just to look at. The men went up to the counter.

Sally leaned in on the table conspiratorially. "So how long do you think until our boys ask to marry us?" she asked Miss Piggy, her brown eyes sparkling.

"Not soon enough," Miss Piggy said, also leaning in. "How long have vous and Craig been together?"

"Goin' steady two years," Sally said, tilting her head with a smile. "But I been kissin' his cheek since we was knee high an' holdin' his hand since a'fore Miss Betty Sue here was born."

Miss Piggy eyed the young girl. "Vous certainly have a big smile, Betty Sue," she said with playful suspicion. "Is there something vous know that we don't?"

Betty Sue was, in fact, wearing her brother's big grin. "I ain't heard a thing," she said quietly. "...But I ain't blind, either."

They moved in on her. "Well what have ya seen, then?" Sally pried.

"Well I-" Betty Sue stopped, eyed them, and shifted her weight uneasily. She looked at her hand as she fingered her glass. "Nothing specific, really..."

"Ooh, tell us, tell us!" Miss Piggy begged eagerly. "You're hiding something good!"

"I- well-" Betty Sue blushed and put a great deal of attention into circling her finger around the rim of her glass. "It- it's jest how they look at y'all... y'know, jest how they look."

Miss Piggy propped her head up in her hand. Sally gave the young girl a measuring glare. "Betty Sue, you are livin' up to your initials," she said. "You seen more 'n that, yer jest coverin' fer 'em."

Betty Sue blushed profusely and did not look up.

"See, I knew they'd find something to talk about," they heard Kermit's approaching voice say.

Sally and Miss Piggy quickly straightened up, trying to look natural, while Betty Sue took a deep breath and forced herself to stop blushing

Craig grinned at Sally as he set a huge pizza in the middle of the pizza. "What are y'all leanin' on my sister for?" he teased.

"Nothin' baby," Sally said in a practiced casualness that was anything but casual.

"Rivers, never ask about girl talk," Kermit said as they sat down. "It's dangerous. Trust me, I've learned the hard way."

They laughed as they sat down and set about the delightful task of devouring the pizza.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Craig opened the front door of the small, yellow house and flipped on the lights. "WE'RE HOME, PA!" he called out.

A figure emerged into the kitchen from a dark doorway, wincing at the light, and leaned his elbow against the wall. He was tall with thick gray hair and a faintly wrinkled face. He looked clean, and his clothes were fresh, but he was clearly a little less than his usual self. "Son," he said with a nod as a greeting. "Betty Sue, Sally..." His eyes meandered to the other three. "An' howdy to the folks I dun' know," he added. He did not slur.

"Pa, this is Bob Geraldson, and Kermit the Frog, and Miss Piggy. I told you 'bout 'em a'fore," Craig said, gesturing to each respectively.

"You sure did," Pa drawled. He held one finger out at Kermit. "Then you done saved my boy's life, ain't you, sir?"

Kermit shifted his weight. "I- I guess you could say that," he said.

"Yer modest," Pa said. He dropped his finger. "Well thank ya rightly. You ever need a thing, jest give ol' Pa a yodel. I'd be thrilled to oblige." He grinned then. "Come on in, folks. Have yerselves a seat or a drink or both. We got plenty to go 'round."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

"Here it is," Sally said, triumphantly pulling a music book off of a shelf. "See, Kermit? This here's the book I was tellin' ya about. All sorts of patriotic songs." She sat down with it and opened it up.

"I told ya we still had it, Craig," Betty Sue said with a roll of her eyes.

"Okay, okay, you was right, Betty Sue," Craig sighed.

They had settled in the den and each pulled up a seat. Pa had propped himself up in a chair in the corner, letting his eyes rest half-shut, a great deal more cognizant than he appeared.

"Can I see?" Kermit came over to Sally's chair and stood close, looking at the songs in the book.

"When'd we get that book, anyways?" Craig asked.

"I dunno," Betty Sue said. "We had it long as I can 'member."

Miss Piggy watched as Sally turned a page and Kermit tilted his head a little closer to hers.

"It was a gift fer Ma," Pa drawled from his corner, not opening his eyes one bit. "From some old neighbor... Last time she went in the hospital."

Craig looked up. "From the Kenneth’s?"

"Could be," Pa sighed.

Miss Piggy watched as Kermit set his hand on the back of Sally's chair.

Sally sat a little straighter, holding the book up a little and, as an added bonus, putting her finer points forward.

Kermit leaned in for a better look, presumably at the songs.

Miss Piggy frowned distinctly.

"Piggy?" Kermit said without looking up. "Could you come here, please?"

She came and stood beside him.

He slid his arm tight around her. "Do you think this one would work?" he asked.

From over Kermit's shoulder, she looked over Sally's shoulder at the song. She skimmed the first few lines and smiled. "Yes, Kermie," she said softly, "I think that would do nicely."

Kermit tightened his arm around her and smiled at her. "It's not just because of that word right there, is it?" he said teasingly, pointing.

Sally awkwardly shifted to the edge of her chair furthest from the frog and pig. She raised her eyebrows at Craig with a sugary-sweet look that asked for help.

"Pa?" Betty Sue said, touching something on the floor that leaned against the wall. "How'd this lil' dent get in yer guitar?"

Pa let out a soft, low chuckle from his chair, his eyes still half-closed. "Ya jest noticed that lil' dent there, Betty Sue?" he said with a quiet, almost non-existent smile. "That dent got there by the good graces of yer Ma's temper."

"That sounds like a story," Bob said. Kermit turned to listen to Pa, and Miss Piggy followed suit.

"Well," Pa said, "I was playin' that thing when I asked her ta marry me, see? An' I gave her the ring- wasn't much of a ring, but I gave it to 'er- an' then went an' got so wrapped up with that guitar, that when she shouted her answer, I looked up an' said, 'What you screamin' for?' So she threw the ring at me." He chuckled. "Hit the guitar, an' made that nice lil' dent."

Kermit smiled while making a small mental note to himself. "You must really like to play, then, if you were that distracted," he said.

"He don't play much," Betty Sue said glumly.

"Not fer awhile," Pa mumbled.

"But I can 'member when ya used ta play every day!" Craig said with a grin.

"Every day?" Kermit said. "You must be pretty good, then."

"Nah," Pa grunted.

"Why don't you be the judge, sir?" Craig said with a grin. He scooped up the guitar, crossed the room, and presented it to his father. "Please, Pa?"

Pa finally raised his eyelids all the way and looked at his son. "I guess I owe ya one fer this afternoon, dun' I?" he whispered.

"What happened this afternoon?" Betty Sue asked.

"Nothin," Craig said. He looked at his father. "Please?"

Pa gingerly took the guitar in his arms and tenderly wrapped his fingers around the neck. "Aw'right," he said quietly, sitting up. "What you wanna hear?"

Craig grinned and stepped back. "Play Ma's favorite," he said. He reached towards Sally as he strolled across the room to her.

Pa's face slowly began to hint towards the grin on his son's face. "Her real favorite, or the one we'd tease her with?"

Craig cocked his head to the side and raised one eyebrow, his grin as big as ever. "Pa?" he said. "I don't think I ever knew her real favorite, 'cuz we teased her so much."

Pa shook his head and strummed at the strings. "Son," he whispered, "It's about time you knew."

Craig stood behind Sally's chair and wrapped his arms around her. Kermit and Miss Piggy slid a step or two away. Betty Sue came and sat at her father's feet, curious. Bob leaned forward.

"A lil' ironic," Pa said, watching his fingers work. "It ain't meant for a guitar at all." He smiled. "You'll see."

His fingers danced over the strings, and a chord that almost sounded familiar seeped through the air.

Pa took a deep breath and let his voice pour through the lyrics he murmured. "It's nine o'clock on a Saturday... The regular crowd shuffles in… There's an old man sitting next to me... Makin' love to his tonic and gin..."

Miss Piggy's head settled on Kermit's shoulder as his arms slid tight around her.

"He says 'Son, can you play me a memory... I'm not really sure how it goes... But it's sad and it's sweet, and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes...' La la la, de de da... La la, de de da da da..."

Craig and Sally began to sway together, and Kermit's hand crept to the edge of Miss Piggy's glove.

"Sing us a song, you're the piano man... Sing us a song tonight... Well we're all in the mood for a melody... And you've got us feelin' all right..."

Kermit slid his hand up to Miss Piggy's and discreetly, longingly, caressed her fingers with his. Craig pulled Sally out of her chair, letting the songbook in her lap tumble to the floor. Miss Piggy pressed against Kermit and slithered her arm around his neck. In the same moment, both couples slowly began to dance, each oblivious to the other couple.

The song drifted through the room, carried by Pa's quiet voice and his dancing fingers. Betty Sue watched her father and listened with interest. This was Ma's favorite song, and she had gotten to the age that she wanted to know who her mother had been.

Pa kept his eyes on his fingers and guitar through the entire song. He murmured the lyrics as if they were secrets, never to leave the room. Once in a while his eyes would slide shut, his fingers would grow strength, and a mellow emotion, unspoken and unnamed, would pour into his voice. Then his eyes would open and his murmuring would return, leaving almost tangible drops of the emotion suspended in the air. Pa finally pushed his fingers through the last notes of the song and looked at his daughter with apologetic eyes that she did not see.

"Well played, Pa," Craig murmured. He released Sally and held his hand out with a grin. "Aw'right, Betty Sue. Yer turn to dance," he said.

Betty Sue smiled as she stood.

"Well now who am I gunna dance with?" Sally whined, putting her hands on her hips.

"I dunno. Dance with Bob," Craig said.

Bob raised his eyebrows. "No way."

"Why not?" Sally demanded.

"I can't dance," Bob said.

"Aw, sure ya can!" Craig said.

But Bob was firm. "Rivers, I can not dance to save my life!"

"I wouldn't say that, Bob," Kermit smiled cheerfully. "You do a pretty good robot."

"Well, I ain't gunna sit a song out," Sally said, folding her arms.

"An' I ain't gunna make Betty Sue sit out," Craig insisted.

Sally tapped her foot.

Pa looked at Bob. "Ya better stand up," he said. "A hissy fit ain't a purty sight."

Bob sighed and stood up. "I'll just be stepping on your feet," he said apologetically.

Pa strummed up a long parade of music for them, and after each song, the couples rearranged with a round of laughter. Somewhere in the switching, Bob ended up with Betty Sue, Craig with Miss Piggy, and Kermit with Sally. Craig and Kermit looked at each other.

"Trade ya?"

"Deal."

They switched, and the girls laughed.

Miss Piggy pressed against Kermit. "Much better," she sighed.

"Mm-hm," Sally murmured as she nuzzled into Craig's neck.

Craig and Kermit grinned at each other and held their girls close while Bob and Betty Sue laughed and tripped over each other's feet.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
There's only one way I can think of to herald this new chapter... And thats to do it some justice. Sit back girls and I'll show you how it's done.
Ann, you know the song, so you take the piano while your sisters sit with Grandma K. Izzy, take your place on top of the piano's lid if you please...

Now the song starts to take over as a clarion voice begins to croon...
It's 9 o'clock on a Saturday.
The regular crowd shuffles in.
There's an old man sitting next to me.
Making love to his tonic and gin.

*The singer's voice ascends to a slightly higher pitch.
He says 'Son' can you play me a memory.
I'm not really sure how it goes.
But it's sad and it's sweet.
And I knew it complete.
When I wore a younger man's clothes.

La-la-de-la-de-la, La-la-la-de-laaaaaah.

They say sing us a song, you're the Piano Man.
Sing us a song tonight.
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody.
And you've got us feeling all right.

*The main singer's voice dips down back to it's lowered trebles.
Now Joe at the bar is a friend of mine.
He gets me my drinks for free.
And he's quick with a joke.
Or a light of your smoke.
But there's some place that he'd rather be.

*High tones again.
He says Phil I believe this is killing me.
As a smile escapes from his face.
I could go far.
I could be a star.
If I could get away from this place.

*Normal low tones again.
Now Dan is a real estate accountant man.
Who never had time for a life.
He's talking to Davy.
Who's still in the navy.
And probably will be for life.

*High tones once more.
And the waitress is practicing politics.
As the business men slowly get stoned.
Yes, they're sharing a drink that's called loneliness.
But that's better than drinking alone.

The beautiful white-gray furred matriarch of the household suddenly blares out a few notes in tune to the song on her pocket harmonica.

Sing us a song tonight.

*Hushed tones dominate the singing for one last time.
It's 9 o'clock on a Saturday.
The manager gives me a smile.
Cause he knows that it's me.
They've been coming to see.
To forget about their lives for a while.

*The singer stretches his voice yet once more.
And the piano sounds like a carnival.
And the microphone smells like beer.
They come near and far.
And put bread in my jar.
And say man what are you doing here.

Sing us a song tonight.

A hand reaches up to artfully lower Izzy down from her perch, rolling both wrists in a firm but tender grip, as they then tumble into a big hug.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROOOOOOOOOOOOT BEEEEEEEEEEER!!! INITIALS!!!!!! GUITAR!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I LOVE Betty Sue! She is such an awesome character!! And Sally's great too! Craig's lucky to have her! (((((HUGS))))) and a *GLOMP* for this chapter!

MORE PLEASE!!

Aaron

Reaction score
i love this chapter piano man has always been a favorite of mine

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Great chapter! It's really nice to see into the lives of these soldiers a little more, especially family life. I liked the girly conversation at the beginning too! More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I wanted to ask though...
Originally posted by Crazy in Chicago: "Craig grinned at Sally as he set a huge pizza in the middle of the pizza."
How do you set a huge pizza in the center of nother pizza? Or was that more of a typo? Guess we'll never know, the author of this tale doesn't exist anymore, at least not today she doesn't.