2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. Even if it wasn't intentional, it follows the classic era of film cliches and not the horrid "He was an alien all along" bit. :rolleyes: DBZ already did that.

King Prawn

Reaction score
How about something simple like Meet The Muppets! or Muppets Reunited :concern:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I say they call it Muppets Underwater.
Or "The Muppets go out for dinner, wait an hour for the table, the service is terrible, Animal gets sick off what they chose to believe as beef stroganoff, they check is rife with inconsistencies and food they didn't order, and they vow never to go back their again and perhaps call the board of health or something."

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Or "The Muppets go out for dinner, wait an hour for the table, the service is terrible, Animal gets sick off what they chose to believe as beef stroganoff, they check is rife with inconsistencies and food they didn't order, and they vow never to go back their again and perhaps call the board of health or something."
Now THAT's a movie I'd like to see.

What about...

Walter: The Movie
How I Met Your Muppet

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I second that! How I Met Your Muppet! That's hilarious!

Or how about:

"The Most Legen....wait for it....dary Muppet Comeback Movie Of All Time"

beaker

Reaction score
Disappointed they had to go the oil route. Bush hasn't been in office for over 2 years and the whole oil thing has become tiresome and cliche. Plus, the idea is so far-fetched. They won't let anybody drill for oil in the middle of no where, let alone under a theater in the city.

I think they could have done much better. How about going with a plot like the theater is facing foreclosure due to some shady bankers? Or it is being taken by way of eminent domain to make room for a car dealership. Both realistic scenarios that can still be played up by character villains. Oh well. I hope the movie is good and not cheesy and hope Segal doesn't do full frontal in this one. :stick_out_tongue:
It's true, the oil meme seems a bit dated. But I am curious to see Chris Cooper play this straight as a dramatic turn. But oil in Hollywood? Hmmm...yeah it's weird. Again though, I applaud making this movie based in the real world where all the Muppet's past is acknowledged.

How about: "Finding The Muppets" or "The Search for the Muppets" or "The Great Muppet Discovery" or "What a Muppet!"

Sidenote: I have yet to meet one person in the UK whose eyes light up or who show any interest whatsoever when I announce that there is a new Muppet film coming.
Eeesh, Im sorry! I thought the UK had crazy love for the Muppets. All the girls/new female friends I keep making seem to all love the Muppets... I have a new policy: if someone doesn't care for the Muppets I can't be their friend. But people always light up and smile when they see me wearing Muppety garments in public.

beaker

Reaction score
Yes, but some Muppets (with a capital M) are celebrities while others are just whatnots/anythings. Walter is a muppet who fantasizes about working with the Muppets. See the difference? Look at this girl who was in Yahoo news for getting bullied about being a Star Wars fan. And then fans and crew alike started sending her stuff to make her feel better and show their support. Maybe Walter is like this girl: he feels outside the loop socially and attaches himself to the idea that if he were friends with celebrity versions of himself, he'd be "cool" too.
Well that's the thing, the Muppets are actors. That's really the only continuity or canon. The idea of Walter as this fan of the Muppets(ie: like all of us) is genius, especially since he happens to be part of the species of a Muppet. Now THE MUPPETS(tm) is what he's a fan of, the beloved characters from the Muppet Show. But there are many species and races of muppets(sesame, fraggle rock, muppet show, sam and friends, land of gorch, dog city, bear in the big blue house, monsters, etc) The idea of how this movie will be able to acknowledge everything we geek out about is so amazing

One thing tho: THERE NEEDS to be a seen or reference of Walter going on Muppet fan sites. And he needs his own blog in the film!

Nice to see an official synopsis for this new Muppets movie.
And I guess I should preface this with saying that I generally believe in giving everything the benefit of the doubt and not prejudging it, and I don't intend to do that with this movie.
Unless it's drastically out of character and incredibly, horribly vile (which I don't think it ever would be with The Muppets)- I'm going to see new Muppets productions- no question.
However, I'm not totally enthused about this synopsis.
It could be because I don't care that much for Jason Segel and Nick Stoller. But there are some things with this plotline that just doesn't sound all that new or exciting. For one thing, if we're following any kind of continuity at all, "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" established the Muppet Theater as an historical landmark. What happened to that? If this is the case, how would someone be able to raze it to dig for oil that's discovered there?
And why would The Muppets all have gone their separate ways? Are they no longer performing together at the Muppet Theater?
It sounds like a bit of a mesh of "The Muppets Take Manhattan" with "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" to some degree, and certainly some shades of "The Muppet Movie".
I hope Walter is a funny addition, but I really don't think new Muppets are needed- I'd rather they just focus on the classic ones and I'm cool with them throwing in some characters from Muppets Tonight or even The Jim Henson Hour if they want to.
I just don't think the idea of Walter as an obsessed Muppets fan is all that funny- except for the anachronism that he himself is in fact technically a "muppet".
I also worry some that there may be a level of subversive humor in there that I don't care for- but I trust things will be kept clean and smooth (rather than edgy because I really get tired of that word to describe the Muppets all the time). Yes, the Muppets will have their jabs here and there and yes- I'm sure there may be some double entendres and puns and such- but I hope that will be tasteful. Some of the jokes in "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" particularly and in "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" for that matter got kinda risque.
A Muppets Telethon could be funny- it's just that it seems all of this movie has been done in some fashion or another before.
I do like the fact that Animal is an anger management clinic- that's funny. And the fact that Gonzo is in plumbing- that's a nice tie-in to "The Muppet Movie".
But seriously- tell me this thing isn't really going to be called "The Muppets Movie". We're going to have a one letter difference from the first movie? You know that's going to get incredibly confusing and annoyingly confusing. "The Greatest Muppet Telethon Ever" actually wouldn't be too bad of a name for the movie. But it would be better to have something distinctive for the title- or at least a subtitle that it will inevitably wind up becoming better known by.
Anyway, those are my concerns with the movie. Nonetheless, it's nice that it's being released at Thanksgiving next year and I will certainly be thankful to see another Muppet movie in theaters for the first time since 1999. And yes, I'll definitely be there to see it whatever the outcome. And yes, I hope my fears will be allayed and that it will turn out to be one of the best Muppet movies ever. I'm not saying this to be negative about the movie and I'm not trying to knock it- I'm just expressing my feelings on what's been revealed of it so far.
But I'm definitely excited for more Muppets- Hey! A movie!:smile::big_grin::halo:
There is no continuity, no storyline, no canon. Gonzo is not an alien. Kermit and Piggy are not married. TMM is not related to GMC or TMM. Nor are any of the movies in any specific series or continuity. It's like Cheech n Chong or Earnest movies, each one is its own thing.

I don't think there will be much in the way of over the top crude/mean "edgyness", but like Shrek there may be some double layered inuendo or adult humor. And adult can mean anything from political/existential humor to light blue references.

terrimonster

Reaction score
It's true, the oil meme seems a bit dated. But I am curious to see Chris Cooper play this straight as a dramatic turn. But oil in Hollywood? Hmmm...yeah it's weird. Again though, I applaud making this movie based in the real world where all the Muppet's past is acknowledged.
There's actually a lot of oil in Los Angeles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

Again, I'm looking forward to this film... I just hope people don't realize it's the same as UHF's basic plot...
Considering how few people saw that movie (one of my favorites, incidentally), I don't think you have to worry. Though I think it would be funny to have Weird Al answering phones during the telethon.

I, too, am slightly disappointed with potential titles that have shown up. But I don't know what route they can go that will be simple, modern (but not pop-culture-y) and true to the Muppet style. My thoughts would be something like "Save the Muppets!" or "Get the Muppets!" but I'm not even a big fan of those.