On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
Exploring what death means to grieving characters isn't at all a bad use of the plot device. That's different. I'm against writers just throwing it in wherever...or making a career based on character death stories. Booooooorrrring.

If the subject fascinates you that much creatively, well, explore it. Just remember that every topic, even the deep ones, can only be mined so far before it becomes repetitive. :news:
--------------------

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Something that I really try to stress with fan fictions is the idea of staying in character. Writing about characters (or even as characters) like the Muppets, I think is especially a challenge for newer fans. I haven't really looked around the fan fiction section much recently to find stories with "uncharacteristic moments", so I really can't say that anybody on here as been a victim of that.

However, one habit that I have noticed in some of the fan fictions is merely "putting the characters on paper". By this I mean that the author has some kind of situation, but only the names of the characters (in this case, the Muppets) are part of the story. The characters themselves aren't exactly there. It's rather difficult for me to describe. I suppose another way of looking at it is that in a story like that, anyboy can be involved. That author just happened to choose the Muppets' character names. There's very little attempt to on the author's part to say "how would this character react to this situation?". And I hate to be harsh, but actually seems rather lazy. Writing a story is one thing, writing a fan fiction about characters already well-established is something different.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Something that I really try to stress with fan fictions is the idea of staying in character. Writing about characters (or even as characters) like the Muppets, I think is especially a challenge for newer fans. I haven't really looked around the fan fiction section much recently to find stories with "uncharacteristic moments", so I really can't say that anybody on here as been a victim of that.
I've seen this commonly with new fan fic writers and sadly, teenagers. It's very rare that I see anyone over the legal drinking age, we'll say, just randomly throw something together that can be done with any character anywhere.

On these forums, I've yet to see that, but then again it's not like I've read through every single fic here, but the ones I have read, I think have been done with your basic understanding and concepts of grammar, a good imagination, and a good dose of knowing your Muppets!

However, one habit that I have noticed in some of the fan fictions is merely "putting the characters on paper". By this I mean that the author has some kind of situation, but only the names of the characters (in this case, the Muppets) are part of the story.
I understand what you mean (I hope) - it's when you get an idea and instead of tailoring it a particular fandom (in our case, the Muppets), a writer will just insert character A with like character B and go from there and you're right, that is the lazy man's way of writing.

While the Internet has opened the door for many people who wanted to try their hand at writing or are writers that never got published, it's also become a form where everyone thinks they're a writer, when - sorry to say - they aren't. Or perhaps it's that they don't understand that writing actually takes time and thought.

It's one of the reasons I turned to fan fiction in the first place - my original works get started and then take years because I'm working out characters, situations, character bios, family ties, etc. I'm still working on the two series that I started way back in junior high!

Ideas are easy to come by, but being able to put people in the right places and vice versa is important. It's like the idea of another actor portraying a certain character if things had gone differently; ie, can anyone see Sean Connery as Gandalf? Or if roles are reversed, not for the purpose of a story per se (like a Freaky Friday-esque plot line), like Fozzie acting like Gonzo or Kermit and Piggy not being a couple (just for the sake of them not being a couple)

The unfortunate thing I think is that many of these writers just don't care or are under the impression that we as the reader have no right to tell them how to write or engage us; that's primarily why I no longer post or read anything on fanfiction.net (though I do get alerts for stories and/or authors that I enjoy, but that's a few). I've had enough 'youngin's' decry the very audacity that I would suggest something for them to consider. I've even gotten called out on it and acquired my very own troll stalker because of it (It's also why I don't review anymore).

Now with all of that said, I can see writers having a hard time with say, a particular character. But, this is where doing the research (which many fic writers do not do) is key and paramount; I don't ever accept the excuse that a person doesn't know about a particular character when we live in a world of YouTube, Wikipedia, and Bit Torrent. Unless something is so obscure or a character a passing glance in something, there is no reason that a writer can't sit down and try to learn about a character.

But as I mentioned, many don't for whatever reason and then we get character A doing something with characters B, C, and D and hilarity may sometimes ensue.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Something else that sort of bothers me are fan fics where the author places himself or herself in the story. I don't mind if the author does a Hitchcock sort of cameo, but when the author makes himself or herself the star of the story, I tend to be turned off. There's several reasons why I don't think it's a good idea to make yourself the center of the story. Again, we'll use the Muppets as an example.

1. As it is a Muppet fan fic, readers want to read about the Muppets.
2. A habit that I've noticed with authors placing themselves in stories is that normall the author's character is either (a) too bland, (b) too perfect/flawless (think Tony Curtis' character in "The Great Race"), or (c) both.
3. I should probably point out that I'm not against the idea of adding new characters to fan fics, but I generally think it's better to put the new characters either in supporting roles or small parts. Or even cameos.
4. One acception that I can think of in having a new character featured strongly is if the new character is VERY well-developed in advance. What's the character's backstory? Why are they here? What is their purpose? What are their strengths? What are their flaws?

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I agree with you completely, Mo. Though for me personally, it causes me stress when I try to create a character, major or minor, into the Muppet universe because I'm always afraid if I go too far on the Gary Stu/Mary Sue meter....:/

RedPiggy

Reaction score
SuzieChan said:
My doubts mainly come from the fact that there actually aren't that many Storyteller fan fics out there. And as for "Hans my Hedgehog" so far I've only found one called "Farmer so Foolish" (go ahead and read it - it's really, really good!).
It can be hard to find readers for more obscure tales, but if you have an idea, those properties need some loving too. :big_grin:
I'm one of the only Dinosaurs and Labyrinth writers here. Won't stop me from writing them, LOL.
Mo Frackle said:
Writing a story is one thing, writing a fan fiction about characters already well-established is something different.
That's partly why I get more of a kick writing or reading more obscure characters. No one's going to complain that Whatnot #3 from episode whatever isn't really going to say something like that. :big_grin:
I don't mind if the author does a Hitchcock sort of cameo, but when the author makes himself or herself the star of the story, I tend to be turned off.
To be fair, I only tend to do that if it's a Hensonville RPG fic. :stick_out_tongue:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Something else that sort of bothers me are fan fics where the author places himself or herself in the story. I don't mind if the author does a Hitchcock sort of cameo, but when the author makes himself or herself the star of the story, I tend to be turned off. There's several reasons why I don't think it's a good idea to make yourself the center of the story. Again, we'll use the Muppets as an example.

1. As it is a Muppet fan fic, readers want to read about the Muppets.
2. A habit that I've noticed with authors placing themselves in stories is that normall the author's character is either (a) too bland, (b) too perfect/flawless (think Tony Curtis' character in "The Great Race"), or (c) both.
I completely agree, Mo.

From what I say, there seems to be two sides on this - the one side that wants to bring in realism and the side that fully knows this is just a fantasy excuse. Personally, when I come over here, I want to read about the Muppets; not their performers, but the Muppets as we see them in the movies or shows.

Now with that said, I'm saying that from the standpoint of someone who has seen entire sections of fan fics removed because authors have written about a real person. That's serious libel and one of the reasons why I never do that unless it's like, as you said a Hitchcock cameo or in the case of the Muppets, a celebrity cameo.

And really, the whole purpose of fiction is just that - fiction, which is essentially an escape from reality.

3. I should probably point out that I'm not against the idea of adding new characters to fan fics, but I generally think it's better to put the new characters either in supporting roles or small parts. Or even cameos.
4. One acception that I can think of in having a new character featured strongly is if the new character is VERY well-developed in advance. What's the character's backstory? Why are they here? What is their purpose? What are their strengths? What are their flaws?
In terms of new characters, I have tried - hopefully succeeded - in adding new characters to just about all of my fan genres that I've written for. You're definitely right in that many people who add in another character to the cast do so without so much as trying to gradulally draw both the character and the reader into the character's universe.

Most times, they just drop the character and it's an immediate Mary/Gary Sue or the character just doesn't fit and then the author just tries to shoehorn them into the story regardless of whether or not it even works.

An example of at least how I try to approach it - in speaking of the Muppets, my OC Amanda Cosgrove was thought up with a lot of care. Especially as a love interest, I had to invest time for the reasons you mentioned - I had a backstory, I made a plot for why she would need to be there, the plot was the reason for her purpose, her strengths, though I will say that I haven't done a scene/plot for her flaws, though I believe I do have a story that will focus on that.

However, I will say that the three stories that she's been featured in were not about her; in fact, I made the point of showing everyone around her and what they were doing and then bringing her in and then basically focusing on the Muppets themselves.

As mentioned in my previous post, the problem that many authors, especially new ones, have is that they don't take to concrit, which quite frankly could actually help them become better writers. Instead, they get offended that the reader would dare to question or say anything other than 'keeping going!' or 'more!'

Obviously, personally, I usually want more than just 'good job' and I like the feedback I get because...it makes me a better writer, not just here in fan fic land, but in professional writing (which I also do) and writing in general. It's heartbreaking frankly that new writers have never gotten concrit and instead expect praise instead of learning.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I agree with you completely, Mo. Though for me personally, it causes me stress when I try to create a character, major or minor, into the Muppet universe because I'm always afraid if I go too far on the Gary Stu/Mary Sue meter....:/

For my stories, I created two human characters, who are supposed to be based on me and a good friend of mine from high school. I have the opposite problem with the character who's supposed to represent me (Ashley). In trying not to make her a Mary Sue, I think I may have made her too much of a jerk (as you can see in Super Muppets, and its sequel, she tends to be sarcastic, somewhat annoying, feisty, and sometimes a bit bratty), but I try to keep most of what she does all in good fun. My point is, I'd advise any writers of original characters not to take it too far either way.

Regarding development, I did have a backstory for both characters developed, but I have yet to finish the story that explains most of it, including how they took up with the Muppets. And yes, in Super Muppets and its sequel, the story is about the Muppets, with any human good guys in supporting roles (the same will be true of any stories I write in the future).

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
(Apologies for late reply) That's what I love about Ashley and Ramona! They're utterly believable, possibly up to the point where they remind me of my own friendship with another girl!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
In my next chapter of A Nest Divided, it's going to mostly focus on the Muppet gang filming an episode of their show in the theater, and I want to make a musical number the centerpiece of the chapter. Does anyone have any tips for writing in a number without making it seem too wordy or stagy? Or perhaps know of a fic that does a good job of writing in something like that?