Oh Where, Oh Where has my Muppets gone?

beakerboy12

Reaction score
It's particularly true of the full-bodied characters. Sweetums seems to be the only one still regularly used. Doglion popped up a few times since the end of 'The Muppet Show', appearing in 'The Cosby Show', 'Muppets Tonight' and a couple other things, but nothing ( as far as I know ) in well over a decade. Then there's Mean Mamma, who vanished altogether after TMS. Timmy Monster, Fletcherbird, Betsy Bird, Thog... where are they now?
Then there's Thig... who hasn't been seen in almost 40 years.
If I was in charge of the new Muppet movie I'd bring 'em all back.
Most of the monsters, like the one's you are talking about, have gone, Sweetums is probably the last of them. Though I do remember Luncheon Counter Monster in "Letters to Santa". But they have Big Mean Carl now too! And Uncle Deadly will be making a comeback. But of the ones missing, I'd like to see Thog, in the new movie or something!

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I've noticed some of these lesser known characters come and go randomly, then disappear again

SeanC

Reaction score
Most of the monsters, like the one's you are talking about, have gone, Sweetums is probably the last of them. Though I do remember Luncheon Counter Monster in "Letters to Santa". But they have Big Mean Carl now too! And Uncle Deadly will be making a comeback. But of the ones missing, I'd like to see Thog, in the new movie or something!
It makes me wonder...
If the makers of the new movie wanted some obscure characters ( such as Thog ) to cameo, but at the same time didn't want the expense of rebuilding the suits... would it be 'right' to recreate them in CGI? More to the point, would that be considered heresy to Henson fans? You see, they COULD create a realistic CGI version of Thog ( or any of the others ) and stick him in the background someplace. You only have to look at Sully from 'Monsters Inc' to see that a blue furry monster can be successfully created within a computer. But the real question is... should they?
I'd be in two minds myself. 1) I'd like it that they included him but 2) would be slightly cheesed off that there wasn't a guy in there sweating buckets to make him come to life. Bit like how a CGI dinosaur will never replace the charm of a Ray Harryhausen animated model.
It might be the only way we'll ever see these characters again, though.

muppetsliveon

Reaction score
You should also think about the performers since a lot of them have aged and may not be able to hold the puppets up like they did.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
It's particularly true of the full-bodied Then there's Mean Mamma, who vanished altogether after TMS.
Actually Big Mamma turned up in an episode of The Ghost Of Faffner Hall in 1989.
And incidentally, in 2002 while watching a certain West End actress's cabaret act, which happened to include a little tribute to The Muppets, I'm sure once of the "voices" incorporated into that bit was that particular Muppet monster.

I think it is important to remember that many of the classic characters were originally extensions of their puppeteers, as performers get older and move away from muppeteering I think it's often right to drop older characters, because, with a few exceptions (particularly from some of Steve Whitmire's work) it's just never going to be quite the same, also it's a bit unfair on newer performers, many of whom would probably do better developing their own new characters, who are in effect extensions of themselves.
Look at Star Trek, they've managed various transitions. The big one was from Original Series to Next Gen.

SeanC

Reaction score
Actually Big Mamma turned up in an episode of The Ghost Of Faffner Hall in 1989.
That's interesting - thanks for the info.
I have to admit I'd never even heard of 'The Ghost of Faffner Hall' ! :smile:

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I too have noticed that after Jim's death, some of his characters were either...

A) Retired,
B) Shoved into the background, or
C) Not given enxtensive dialogue?

It seems the only Jim-performed characters still active and not "demoted" (as I call it) are Kermit, Waldorf, Ernie, and the Chef.

I don't think the same thing can be said with Richard's characters, though.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Those classic Muppets are coming back!

Woo-woo! Thog is in the new Muppet movie!:smile::smile::smile:

And, I'm not exactly sure, but I also think Link, Behemoth, Dr. Strangepork, and just whole heap of Muppets are going to be in it too! Yeah! Woo!

Those classic Muppets are coming back!