Question about Bill Barretta as Rowlf

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how Bill Barretta got chosen to take over Rowlf?

dwmckim

Reaction score
For those who question Bill as Rowlf, i suggest the following: Get out your Muppet Show Season 1 box set, put disc 1 in the player, forward to You and I and George in the Juliet Prowse episode and listen with your eyes closed. You may be surprised at how Bill-like it sounds.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
When I first heard Bill Barretta as Rowlf, I couldn't tell the difference. To me, it sounded pretty much like Jim's Rowlf. But after watching more scenes with Bobo and hearing Bill's Rowlf a few more times, I noticed the difference. Yeah they do sound similar and I could definitely hear Bobo in there, but as dwmckim pointed out, Jim's Rowlf does sound like Bobo at times. But there are obviously subtle differences. Plus, it's only been a couple internet videos and 1 or 2 lines here and there in some specials as far as I know, so I guess with time and more opportunities for Bill, it can develop and get better. As has been the case for some other re-casts.

As for how Bill Barretta was chosen, obviously I don't know the true story but I would think Bill performing Bobo would have something to do with it since it's the closest to Jim's vocal range for Rowlf. It does seem to me like one of the hardest voices to do and copy aswell.

Xerus

Reaction score
I like Bill's performance as Rowlf on the Muppet Party Cruise video game. The way he walks around the deck going, "Toy Boat! Toy Boat!" and says he likes the ocean because there are no fleas.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I like Bill's performance as Rowlf on the Muppet Party Cruise video game. The way he walks around the deck going, "Toy Boat! Toy Boat!" and says he likes the ocean because there are no fleas.
"Now it's time for TICKLIN' THE IVORIES!"

:smile::sympathy::smile:

Love it.

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Then Bill Barretta now plays Dr. Teeth as well?

I was watching Muppet Wizard of Oz the other day (I really liked it!) and I was so surprised to see Dr. Teeth with his mouth open, as if to speak.. and he did.. and I swear, I almost fell out of my chair.

The thought going through my head was, "Was this recorded before Jim died? What the heck?" but then I came to my senses and realized it must be another performer.. I thought there was no way it could've been Steve Whitmire.. his voice is too high-pitched. It's awesome to get that cleared up XD;;

Although.. I could've looked on IMDB..

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I think Bill is perfect as Dr teeth and Rowlf, he brought back the breath they needed after so many years of silence...and yes like someone said sound a litte like bobo but blah blah word words read up ^ there the good reasons why

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
To me, his Dr. Teeth is MUCH better than his Rowlf. I am very impressed with his Dr. Teeth, however the Rowlf 12 Days of Christmas performace left something to be desired. (Just in my opinion, Rowlf is one of my absolute favorites so I am probably harder on him for this one) BUT it is getting much better, and it is better to have Rowlf than not have him. So I am more than willing to be patient, for it to sound really good. Cause it will.

:sympathy::big_grin: