Help Pick Clips for the 40th Anniversary DVD

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
From MuppetNewsflash.com:

Genius Products and Sesame Workshop have teamed with Amazon.com to let fans vote on their favorite classic Sesame Street clip for inclusion on an upcoming 40th anniversary DVD collection.

Fans who visit Amazon's voting page can choose their favorite moment from a slate of 10 classic clips. The winning "fans choice" segment will be featured on the upcoming Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days 2-disc DVD set slated for release in November 2009.

From April 1 to April 28, viewers can view all 10 classic Sesame Street clips and vote for their favorite. Clips included on the ballot include "The King of Eight," "The Alligator King," "What’s the Name of That Song?" "Caribbean Amphibian," "Elmo's Debut," "I Just Adore Four," and others. So surf over to Amazon.com and be sure to rock the vote!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tough Pigs posted a link to an article about this yesterday, yet when I clicked on Amazon, there was no sign of the votting. I also did a google search, and found quite a few online articles about this. I was suspicious since it was posted on april fools day (and I e-mailed the author of the article), but it's good to have found it.

However, out of those, as far as I know, the string reminder sketch is the only one that hasn't been commercially available in english.

But there are some things to consider:
  • Carribean Amphibian has been released on an out-of-print video but not any region 1 DVDs (it's been on some international DVD releases).
  • Out of the Pinball Number Count segments, do they have to consider the #12 segment? It's already been released oon video and DVD twice (granted, I don't have either release), and only the #2 and #4 segments have been released on other english DVDs. Then again, it'd be a shame for tis release to not include any pinball cartoons, and a pity that it's apparantly this or none (I'd be surprised if multiple pinball segments are to be considered). I would have chosen #5, the only one not on sesamestreet.org (interestingly, I think all of the nominated clips are available on the website). When I checked the results, this one was in the lead.
  • While Henson Ball has been released twice on DVD, accoridng to the clip provided the powder ending is to be included. Only the cherry version is on DVD (and Henson Ball is the one I voted for).
  • Elmo's Debut is not really his first appearance. When I first read that title, I was intrigued, wondering if that was really his first appearance, or the first appearance where he was referred to by name. Instead, it's the 1990s song Happy Tapping, made long after he'd been introduced (unless "Elmo's Debut" is an alternate title, referring to his tap-dancing debut). While it has been released twice on video and DVD, the clip provided is longer than on either release.
  • I was hoping that all of the street scenes from the "Big Bird's Number 4 Show" episode would be included, not just I Just Adore Four. But if it wins, maybe the whole thing will be released.
  • For those wodnering (and al you really have to do to know is click on the link), the cast version of What's the name of That Song? nominated is the original version. Since it was recently released on DVD, I was sort of hoping that the 1990s version would have been nominated.

And here is a listing of how many times each segment has been released on video and/ or DVD in america:
  • The Alligator King - 5
  • King of 8 - 3
  • Martian Beauty - 3
  • Pinball #12 - 2
  • Henson Ball - 2
  • I Just Adore Four - 2
  • Happy Tapping (AKA Elmo's Debut) - 2
  • What's the Name of That Song? - 1
  • Carribean Amphibean - 1
  • String Reminder - 0

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there'll be any update voting? For example, once this deadline ends, I wonder if a new set of nominated clips will be up. It'd be interesting if fans could vote for a Sesame Street News clip, or a Monsterpiece Theater clip.

zns

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense why they can't add all of those clips. Plus, notice that the Pinball segment has the highest vote, not that I don't enjoy it, but most of us have seen that too many times already. But then again, that's just my opinion.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I thought of, regarding the fact that most of the nominated clips have been released on DVD (in many cases, twice) already, is that the winning clip obviously won't be the only clip making it to the release.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Indeed, why wouldn't all these clips be included? A two-disc set commemorating such a milestone seems a bit on the light side. This should be something that far surpasses the value of the Old School sets.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Indeed, why wouldn't all these clips be included? A two-disc set commemorating such a checkpoint seems a bit on the light side. This should be something that far surpasses the value of the Old School sets.
There are a lot of classic momwents that haven't ever been released on video. Some of those (strung tied, Happy Tapping, Martian Beauty) may be a bit well-known, but I don't think are that well-known. Not enough that they have to be included on an anniversary release. It'd be a shame if this release were to have no Pinball Number Count at all. The DVD seems to be bigger than previous anniversary specials (especially since it seems that it'll be just clips... But then again, we don't know that there won't be any linking footage). That, in my mind, is one of the top ten best-known recurring segments.

I've noticed that the most-released semgnets up for nomination are all animated. Stuff like Rubber Duckie, C is for Cookie, and I Love Trash aren't nominated. I'm sure that they'll all be represented somehow, though I don't know which specific clips will be chosen.

I recall that back when somebody had contaxcted Sesame Workshop and recieved info on SW considering making Old School sets, it had been said that Sesame Workshop needs to renegociate residuals for everything that gets released on video. I guess it makes since that if voting is done that most nominated clips be things that SW has already released, as negotians have already been done. It'd be a shame if Sesame Workshop couldn't clear residuals for whatever the winning clip will be.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if multiple votes are allowed, or if there's some way to detect computers that users already voted on. I have occassionaly checked to view the results, but the first choice is always selected once I look at the voting page. I like seeing what segments are in the lead, but if I wan tto keep checking, should I make sure the vote is on what I most want to see on the release?

And you know, the fact that hardly any of the clips that I would put on a wishlist are nominated is a good sign. Maybe those are definately considered.

It would be ironic if all of the clips were stuff that I either want to see the most, stuff that I haven't seen in a long time and want to see again, or stuff that I most want to see get an official DVD release (yes, even though they are available for free online).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've noticed that the most-released semgnets up for nomination are all animated. Stuff like Rubber Duckie, C is for Cookie, and I Love Trash aren't nominated. I'm sure that they'll all be represented somehow, though I don't know which specific clips will be chosen.
Oh yeah... we'll likely see those (for the twelth thousandth time) on the release. I voted String Tied, since it's the only thing that hasn't been released on DVD yet. Caribbean Amphibian would be the second choice, but we need that classic Ernie Bert segment to get represented on the DVD.

I'm just disappointed they didn't have a skit request line... I want to see some pretty obscure stuff on this DVD, so I feel I get my money's worth (and not just wind up buying the same ol' stuff). I really want to see Surprise by the Proto-Monotones somewhere (in English with all the cut scenes in tact), or some of the Mo Willems or John R. Dilworth Noodles and Ned stuff... some of the 90's animations you still sometimes see, but haven't been released on DVD yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had thought that all of the nominated clips could be viewed at sesamestreet.org, but I checked and I couldn't find the string segment there. I guess not all of them are on the site. Also, it appears that the site has the cherry ending of Henson Ball, while the clip at amazon is the powder version.

I really want a lot of rarities mixed with many common classics not previously released. I feel that it's important to include Sesame Street News and Monsterpiece Theater, and I figure that they will be represented, but I wonder if there'll be multiple sketches of each or just one each (in my mind it'd be logical to include at least one per disc, though there aren't many News segments made between 1989 and 2009).

It would be wonderful if the set could fit in every recurring character, segment, and situation in some way. I don't know how possible that would be.