Help Pick Clips for the 40th Anniversary DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If this set must include material found on the Old School sets, I'd prefer it to be some of the street scenes from the first episode (and maybe some inserts, like Henson #3, Jazz #2, Wanda the Witch, and Kermit's W lecture... Though I'd prefer different Henson and Jazz number segments), the cast reciting the alphabet, Big Bird's first meeting with Snuffy, and Barkley being renamed.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the voting should have ended by now. I clicked on the link, and it's written like it was when it was laucnhed (no updates to it being closed). I looked at the results, and it looks like Bert and Ernie: String Tied will be on this release.

So that's one, one sketch that we know will be included, and nine, nine sketches that we know will NOT be included. A-ha-ha!:batty:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Dang I wanted to see the Aligator King short. :frown:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dang I wanted to see the Aligator King short. :frown:
You can see it at sesamestreet.org, and I think on youtube and Sesame Workshop's hulu chanel (not positive there). Or on the Amazon votign page (at least while it's up there). And you can see it if you find, buy and/ or rent copies of Old School Vol. 1, Sesame Street 25 Wonderful Years: A Musical Celebration, The Great Number Game, and/ or Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game. It has plenty of availability.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This may not make much of a difference, or at least not now (I figure it's too late for Sesame Workshop to make any changes), but I've been thinking about what would be most important to include on this set, regardless of what we all think is important.

I'd be surprised if this set did not include anything with Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Kermit, Cookie Monster, Grover, Herry, Prairie Dawn, Elmo, Zoe, Telly, Baby Bear, Rosita, Snuffy, The Count, Abby Cadabby, Murray, Natasha, or Slimey. But regarding "old school" characters, I feel that it's important for the set to have at least one clip with the following characters: Roosevelt Franklin, Guy Smiley, Forgetful Jones, Biff and Sully, Don Music, Mr. Johnson, Sherlock Hemlock, Mumford, Martians, Honkers, Dingers, Twiddlebugs, and Two-Headed Monster. I feel like it's important for everybody to be included, but it probably would be hard to represent all the characters.

Of all the recurring Muppet sketches, I feel that it's most important to include Sesame Street News and Monsterpeice Theater. My instincts tell me there should be five or six News segments, and four or five Monsterpeice Theater segments, some on both discs (there aren't many News options for disc 2, if it focuses on seasons 21-40). I think one news report with Don Music and one report with Dr. Nobel Price are musts.

I sort of feel like a full Elmo's World should be on there as well. I wouldn't be disapointed if EW was excluded altogether, but feel that it belongs, especially if footage from certain street stories are included. Other recurring Muppet sketches that I see as a must for the set include waiter Grover (this set should have 2-4, plus some additional Mr. Johnson sketches), Super Grover (I'm thinking 3), The Letter of the Day, The Number of the Day, Spanish Word of the Day, Murray Has a Little Lamb, Global Grover, and maybe Journey to Ernie, Hero Guy, and Monster Clubhouse.

For the non-Muppet inserts, I feel like it should have one sketch each for Jim Henson's season 1 number series, Jazz Numbers, The Mad Painter, The Bellhop, The Typewriter, Teeny Little Superguy, Bert and Ernie's great Adventures, and Pinball Number Count, and a few more for Fay Ray and Suzie Kabloozie.

Well, that's all I think for now.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Some more details

Just got some more details on this upcoming release from Sesame Workshop -- "Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days" will be released on DVD on November 10, 2009 (which is exactly 40 years, to the day, since Sesame Street debuted).

The 2-disc DVD set will include over five and a half hours of iconic moments, songs, and celebrity segments from the past 40 years; plus exclusive never-before-seen backstage footage.

zns

Reaction score
Just got some more details on this upcoming release from Sesame Workshop -- "Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days" will be released on DVD on November 10, 2009 (which is exactly 40 years, to the day, since Sesame Street debuted).

The 2-disc DVD set will include over five and a half hours of iconic moments, songs, and celebrity segments from the past 40 years; plus exclusive never-before-seen backstage footage.
Sounds like it's going to be great. I hope that someone on here can post a review of this here on Muppet Central, along with the new book by Louise Gikow. It's gonna be a great Christmas. :insatiable::batty::super:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's great that there is an official release date. It's interesting that the season premier, the release of this, and the book are all coming out on november 10.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hmmmm... If it's five hours long, could each disc be two and a half hours, or might one dominate the other?

I wonder if I should look back at the wishlist I posted here, watch the ones that are on sesamestreet.org and check the legnth, then search youtube for some and check the legnth, and then for first season skits not on youtube check the CTW archives first seaosn show content, which lists run times for almost every skit, and then see if what I can find adds up to five hours or less (or more).