Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Drtooth

Reaction score
The more low-key comic stores are your best bet. Comic stores that are actual honest-to-goodness comic stores are the best place to look. The chain bookstores get their versions later (and they're all the ones with the A covers). I was at Borders about a month ago and the most recent Muppet comic they had on their racks was The Muppet Show #4: Piggy's Story. However, the bookstores may have the trade paperbacks.
I noticed that too. plus, they're literally squeezed onto their comic racks in some cases, and have bent spines, crumpled pages... I wouldn't want to buy them there anyway.

BTW: Confirmation on Pig's In Space issue 0 as far as wiki goes The issue drops the 9th

And another fabulous cover by Amy, I might add. I really am loving how she draws Piggy. Nice to see her take on the other pigs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We seem to have a different artist in this issue. And I think I like it. Sure, I am a fan of Roger's interpretation (and I've always been, even when the bulk of the fandom didn't) but it really makes it stand out from all the other Muppet Show Comic Books (as opposed to the fairy tales that feature new artists with ever story). And I'm really liking the smoothness of the graphics. This is almost how I'd picture a Muppet cartoon to look like (Dave Alverez's is totally what I think a Muppet cartoon would look like).

Amy

Reaction score
And another fabulous cover by Amy, I might add. I really am loving how she draws Piggy. Nice to see her take on the other pigs.
Haha, thanks.
This was a VERY short notice cover, so I decided to see how they'd look with very minimal linework and simple colours. Luckily, Boom! liked it and I get to keep my (almost) unbroken Muppet Show variant cover streak :wink:
The only one I missed getting was Issue 3 (Gonzo's story) - Dave A got a double-header on that one!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pigs in Space? LOVED IT! I really like how Roger only did the writing in this one and gave the artwork to someone else... seems that way he focused a lot more on just the writing, and he can keep his focus on the actual numbered MSC series. Not that I don't like his art. I was one of the first who liked his style.

I really liked the looseness and semi-angularity of the characters that Shelli did (that's her name, right?) But here's something that bugged me... we have a look-a-like Bender and one of the cast members of MST3K hidden in the background, and they get uppity when Ernie or Bert is drawn in the background. That's just odd to me.

I can only say this... I loved the issue, and I love how it still seemed contained in the realm of an actual episode of the Muppet Show... but all and all, I wish this was a 4 part arc. It was so good, I wanted more... much more.

Oh, and I read the interview with the artist... she would like to see Boom bring back Disney Afternoon characters in comic form. While that doesn't seem all that likely, I really would like to see that myself... at least Darkwing. Dude needed a real comic book series to himself.

Amy

Reaction score
I wouldn't call Disney 'uppity' for nixing Ernie and Bert cameos - they don't own Sesame Street characters and I'm sure Disney and CTW are trying to make it VERY clear that the two are separate entities.
But the Bender and MST3k cameos... yeah, she shouldn't do that. I think she got away with it this time because they were in the interior comic and not the cover. There are slightly different boundaries of what's okay for a cover and what's okay for interiors.
Nevertheless. even if they ARE only cameos, Fox or Jim Mallon could still cry copyright infringement if they wanted to.
When it comes to licensed comics, I prefer to play VERY safe and keep the cameos to ones owned by the parent company.
But even with Disney, that's dicey. Everything is VERY compartmentalised at Disney and if I wanted to put, say, Ariel in the background of a Muppet comic, I'd be VERY careful to check first if that's allowable.
I wanted to put Yorick on a cover once as a cameo but my editor told me not to because Disney don't own Sam & Friends either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, I see a LOT of comic artists get away with a lot of stuff in these sorts of things... from Snoopy in a Ren and Stimpy comic to Bunsen and Beaker in the first Tick comic... I have a Mighty mouse which features a satire of the Crisis on Infinante Earths saga that has quite a few non-Terrytoon character cameos in the background... I swear I'll find it one day and post it up here... can't find it anywhere else online...

Reaction score
Is there any way to subscribe to this? Having it sent to me by mail would be a lot easier than having to drive to a store.

albertjohn3

Reaction score
I have been meaning to pick this up. This looks like a fun series. I need to get back into the muppets.