JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
I was just thinking and I most honestly NOW do believe -
- that if it weren't for Jim and Frank's excellent VOICE TALENTS,
the Muppets probably would NOT have been successful at all,
despite and behind all of their creativity -

-consider turning OFF the volume as you simply watch a
Muppet sketch of Bert/Ernie or Kermit/Fozzy on the TV -
- it just isn't the same without 'hearing' those two TALK!

Now compare THIS in the watching of any other
'muppet-esque' puppet show without any audio - BIG difference

When Whitmire took over in Kermit, myself (as well as many) could accept this -
- and he's doing a great job (sounding much like Jim) under the circumstances

Vic Romano

Reaction score
At the 40th Anniversary event for SS, Frank and Kevin made some interesting comments about the voices of their respective characters and how little a role they play in the development of a character. He acknowledged how everyone makes a big deal about a particular character's voice, but if you don't have a connection, the voice is meaningless. He said the voice is usually the very last thing developed for a character.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Well, without sound I do think most of the sketches would just be funny pieces of cloth running around. The Muppets really are indeed a combination of physical puppetry, voice acting, and writing, as well as all of the other important aspects that go along with the art.

Jim Henson and Frank Oz and their distinct voices and puppetry were indeed a huge part of the Muppets. But let's not forget about Fraggle Rock, which Frank wasn't a player in and Jim only had a few (though very memorable) performances throughout the series.

Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt were also distinct in their vocal range. And though her characters never acheived main character status, Louise Gold's singing voice really stands out.

All of the Muppet performers seem like they are great voice actors. I mean, they have to be! And the fact that they can speak and synch their puppets to every word is nothing less than amazing to me.

I mentioned this before in a recent post that I think that Jim and Frank really had a connection when they performed that I don't think anyone else will ever be able to catch as far as the relationships of the characters is concerned. Steve and Eric are awesome performers and they do a wonderful job with their characters, but when Jim and Frank were performing together, it was pure magic. It's impossible to explain, but I'm sure everyone has seen it.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
frank has said that on other occasions, too, and so has caroll, if i recall. that people are like "wow, you do the voice of..." and it annoys muppeteers because they think it shows that the person has no idea that the real work is in manipulation, coordination etc. but i think those comments actually highlight the skill that goes into all the rest of it. here's why--flip around JimmyDeanDog's suggestion and listen to the muppets without watching, and you can see them in your head. you'd think without the visuals it would sound like two or three guys doing six or eight silly voices, but somehow it doesn't. the dozens of muppet and sesame street records, tapes, and cds are a testament to that, as is the thriving mup3 sharing thread here. the reason it works with only audio is because the muppeteers have created such strong characters, through the subtleties of manipulation and voice (not the different voices themselves, but the ability to convey emotion through voice, like any other actor). to the point where you can read a muppet script (or write a fan fic) and see and hear in your head how each character would react. does kermit really sound that different from ernie...or from jim, for that matter? no. it's obvious they're done by the same person, but you'd never confuse them because the character comes through in HOW they say their lines.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Thanks for these wonderful replies, and for everyone else: 'your' thoughts --

Yes Jim and Frank were invincible together; make no mistake

**also: I notice both their 'singing skills' vastly improved after Seseme Street

- from listening to their first Columbia record together there are some notes
which were a little offkey, esp for Frank - but you still have to consider
how many great puppeteers back then could really carry a tune on recordings and TV

Henson's 'Rubber Duckie' is a great example -

- when he does the last 'Tubbbb-bie' part,
it's far out from being a solid B-flat - to a stretched B-minor!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think we take their puppetry skills for granted, simply because they are so good. It's a testament to them that we often forget just how amazing it is. If you turn off the sound on a Bert and Ernie sketch...you'll probably want to turn the sound back on, lol. However, it does pay to take a moment and appreciate their ability to create emotions, personality and relationships, just with a hand. :smile:

As Richard Hunt said, the Muppet performers had to do twice the work of an actor. First of all BE the actor, then put it across in what is essentially a mask on the hand (as the Fraggle Rock Gorg actors put it).

I will say too, Jim and Frank were non trained singers who recorded some of the best remembered numbers of our time, that's no easy feat!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I can tell if it's Dr. Teeth or Rowlf without even seeing them just by their personalities coming through.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
The Muppets really are indeed a combination of physical puppetry, voice acting, and writing, as well as all of the other important aspects that go along with the art.
That's what I think makes the muppets work and become real characters. The personalities, the voices supplied for the characters, and the on going chemistry between characters.

Everyone knows, who may not be a big muppet fan, about the chemistry of:

Kermit and Piggy
Bert and Ernie

Those are probably the two biggest relationships people know of about the muppet characters. Ones a romantic relationship and the other is a solid friendship.

Personality also plays a big role. Dr. Teeth and Rowlf have pretty much the same voice, but their personalities are different. Rowlf has a laid back personality, while you can sense the energy coming from Doctor Teeth because typically he's more energetic than Rowlf is. That's if you had to listen to an audio of both characters and then choose which character's voice is whose.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
What I recall as a kid was when I'd walk away
from the TV during Seseme Street with the
sound ON, I thought that I heard 'Kermit' in the background,
when it was actually an 'ERNIE' sketch!

Hey, let's not leave out Caroll Spinney for Oscar and Big Bird -
- now THERE'S a voice talent; at first, I never knew he did both!

CBPuppets

Reaction score
When Whitmire took over in Kermit, myself (as well as many) could accept this -
- and he's doing a great job (sounding much like Jim) under the circumstances
I felt the same way when Eric Jacobson took over. he makes some of Frank's Characters sound energenic.