Parents not liking the muppets?

Kiki

Reaction score
Lol, it's like with me, my parents and the Beatles. They liked them in the '60s but weren't huge fans. Now I'm the huge fan and I got them interested again!
I got to love The Beatles because of my dad. :smile: I grew up listening to a lot of 60s, 70s and 80s music (surprise! Surprise!), but mostly that sort of "flower power" era of the 1960s. I remember when I was little listening to cassettes in the car, and Dad's Beatles' records at home, which we still have today of coarse, and I listen to them in the record player in my room (which was my Dad's, which he bought in the mid-70s).
I still buy records on a regular basis, but a large majority of the records I have in my room are my folks' ones. I have my Mum's and my Dad's taste combined in a lot of ways, but definately in music. My Dad listened to a lot of Beatles, Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, Deep Purple, Rick Wakeman, Linda Ronstadt and the like (and movie soundtracks, like John William stuff), and my Mum listened to David Bowie, Rod Stewart, King Crimson, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder and old showtunes. But I also discovered a lot of that kind of music on my own, really.

Annnnnyway, I do recall my dad saying he watched TMS (he was prolly in his late teens-early 20s when it first started) all the time, but I don't believe my Mum did. It wasn't really her thing, plus- I don't think she was allowed to watch a lot of TV. She watched a bit, but her father was a teacher and kinda old-fashioned and he believed it was all junk. My mum wasn't even allowed to read comics, because her father thought they would dumb her down. She always got let down by him saying she was a bird-brain and such, but she's actually a really smart woman.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I got to love The Beatles because of my dad. :smile: I grew up listening to a lot of 60s, 70s and 80s music (surprise! Surprise!), but mostly that sort of "flower power" era of the 1960s. I remember when I was little listening to cassettes in the car, and Dad's Beatles' records at home, which we still have today of coarse, and I listen to them in the record player in my room (which was my Dad's, which he bought in the mid-70s).
Wow our situations are very similar, hehe! Actually my Dad loves Folkish music and had a couple of John Denver records. I had colic when I was a baby and cried all the time. My Dad recalls carrying me around the house listening to John Denver albums, including John Denver and the Muppets! Sadly, when I was little I wasn't terribly interested in that record because my initial impression was that it was "too adult" even with the Muppet element, lol. Of course when I got older I was very grateful to still have the album and enjoy listening to it today! :smile:

We had a record player when I was little but eventually got rid of it when records were becoming rare. But I still wanted to listen to some of our records (including Sesame Street Christmas Sing Along!) so my Grandma gave me hers from the 50s/60s. Still play perfectly!

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I mean, I know that mum probably saw some SST when I was little, and both my parents have seen TMS, cause I can't mention it without them bursting into the theme song. Dad seems to find some sort of humour in that he can quiz me on anything muppet related, and he seemed amazed that I knew the name of Elmo's puppeteer and all the history to go with Elmo when it was brought up at a dinner party with my aunt's family. That was only like, this year though, and since FR started coming on our TV here I think my parents have become somewhat more aware that I like The Muppets. And it's not like my knowledge of all things Muppetty is known at school, cause I had already established myself as being the person that knew heaps about music and Tv in general in my grade, And my friends ask me Muppet questions, so ermm, yeah.

Kiki

Reaction score
Wow our situations are very similar, hehe! Actually my Dad loves Folkish music and had a couple of John Denver records. I had colic when I was a baby and cried all the time. My Dad recalls carrying me around the house listening to John Denver albums, including John Denver and the Muppets! Sadly, when I was little I wasn't terribly interested in that record because my initial impression was that it was "too adult" even with the Muppet element, lol. Of course when I got older I was very grateful to still have the album and enjoy listening to it today! :smile:

We had a record player when I was little but eventually got rid of it when records were becoming rare. But I still wanted to listen to some of our records (including Sesame Street Christmas Sing Along!) so my Grandma gave me hers from the 50s/60s. Still play perfectly!
Wow! Awesome! I used to have this gorgeous 60s turntable, but it doesn't work anymore. -_- But I kept it anywho!

That's a lovely story. :smile:

I mean, I know that mum probably saw some SST when I was little, and both my parents have seen TMS, cause I can't mention it without them bursting into the theme song. Dad seems to find some sort of humour in that he can quiz me on anything muppet related, and he seemed amazed that I knew the name of Elmo's puppeteer and all the history to go with Elmo when it was brought up at a dinner party with my aunt's family. That was only like, this year though, and since FR started coming on our TV here I think my parents have become somewhat more aware that I like The Muppets. And it's not like my knowledge of all things Muppetty is known at school, cause I had already established myself as being the person that knew heaps about music and Tv in general in my grade, And my friends ask me Muppet questions, so ermm, yeah.
Yeah, same. I'm not a reknowned Muppet fan at school, I gotta admit. I use the odd reference every now and then (the teacher's get them usually, lol) but otherwise I'm pretty much reknowned fer being a lover of anything vintage/retro: TV shows, randomness, kitschy thing, but mostly fashion and music. When people ask me what I watch and I reply TMS and SST they laugh! Not in a nasty way as such, they think I'm joking, but I don't really mind.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Yeah, same. I'm not a reknowned Muppet fan at school, I gotta admit. I use the odd reference every now and then (the teacher's get them usually, lol) but otherwise I'm pretty much reknowned fer being a lover of anything vintage/retro: TV shows, randomness, kitschy thing, but mostly fashion and music. When people ask me what I watch and I reply TMS and SST they laugh! Not in a nasty way as such, they think I'm joking, but I don't really mind.
What really grinds my gears about those teen girls that like SST is that they have no idea what they are talking about. Like, they own a shirt or a pencil case or something and actually know nothing about what they're buying/wearing. Eg. There is this girl in my math class right, who has Elmo badges on her pencil case that I only noticed the other day. Now my first reaction was thinking 'Awesome, I need some of them', but then my second reaction was thinking, "I bet she doesn't even know who Kevin Clash is".

Anyway, yeah I tend to be the go to guy for retro music trivia,like guitar chords to The Beatles or how old some muso is etc. And people are like, What's your favourite show, and I'm like, Dr Who, Spicks and Specks, SST... and they go, Why do you like that, which ends in a nerdy Muppet rant.:wisdom:

Kiki

Reaction score
What really grinds my gears about those teen girls that like SST is that they have no idea what they are talking about. Like, they own a shirt or a pencil case or something and actually know nothing about what they're buying/wearing. Eg. There is this girl in my math class right, who has Elmo badges on her pencil case that I only noticed the other day. Now my first reaction was thinking 'Awesome, I need some of them', but then my second reaction was thinking, "I bet she doesn't even know who Kevin Clash is".

Anyway, yeah I tend to be the go to guy for retro music trivia,like guitar chords to The Beatles or how old some muso is etc. And people are like, What's your favourite show, and I'm like, Dr Who, Spicks and Specks, SST... and they go, Why do you like that, which ends in a nerdy Muppet rant.:wisdom:
Lol, I am the same- hi five! I'm such a pop-cult nerd at school... especially in media. Like, the other day, we had to bring in a mag and explain an ad in it and who it's aimed at, etc. Anyway, I bought in my old Womans' Day's from '65-'73. The talk-thingy was meant to go fer... no long, only a few minutes. I went on fer about 10, saying all this stuff about the fashion of the day, women's lib, everything! And everyone else was like, righteo. What's a Twiggy? XD People wonder why I like it, too. But... I just do. It's fastinating, looking back at pop culture, it's so interesting.

Yeah, that annoys me soooooo much! Teen girls are like, "Oh my God, like, I, like, love The Muppets! Hermit is soooooo funny!" and there's girls who wear tops with Kermit or Cookie Moster or whatever and yet when I was in year seven I got teased fer wearing an SST top, and now it's all trendy! Elmo's a fave, I know that, but most of them prolly haven't bothered with SST since they were three or something. I hardly know any girls who know who Jim Henson is even. :frown:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Something very relevant just happened. I remember when I was little I had an SST height chart, and My dad just was digging through his slide collection (He is a photographer for hobby, but he is gonna get an exhibition soon) for some night sky photos and he found a slide of me standing next to the Aforementioned chart. And he was all like "waohh, look at you standing next to your SST Height poster". And now I wonder what ever happened to it, cause I wouldn't mind it back now I am plastering my room in posters. I think it got thrown out, but I was like, 4 years old and didn't care that much for The Muppets than any other kid my age. Just as edutainment, nothing more, nothing less. Of course, now I am a fan things a different, but w/e.