Parents not liking the muppets?

Kiki

Reaction score
One of the topics lately got me thinking: Are there really parents that dislike the muppets? What do your parents think of them?
My parents saw them as good clean fun next to most of everything else on tv or video, and really love them still (now in their mid-sixties.) :smile:
My parents don't mind the Muppets. My Dad used to watch TMS all the time during it's heyday, although my Mum on the other hand confessed that she found The Muppets a little daggy growing up, she was a teen of the 70s, so TMS and SST was quite popular at the time, but they just didn't take her fancy- and I respect that. :smile: And anyway, she enjoys them much more now, and she's always happy to watch Henson shows with me (TMS is her fave, and she doesn't mind SST either. But she admits that FR bores her, lol), and so does my Dad, he enjoys the Muppets, but other than TMS she finds the rest not as appealling to him, and that's cool.
My folks have never picked on me or whatever fer liking them. My brother has on the odd occasion, saying stuff like "she won't like that movie. It has no puppets in it" (which is totally untrue, I have a pretty diverse taste in most things), but he enjoys the Muppets too, though he doesn't always admit it. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My Dad is actually a great admirer of Muppet Babies because of its use of classical music and paintings. To the point where he ponders at what point it jumped the shark, lol.

Dad did have a minor homework assignment in college where he kinda panned Sesame Street, lol. Still, he went to the Sesame Street event with me last night and loved it. Mainly for the performers, whose talent he greatly admired (including Richard Hunt's clips). :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
See that is the good thing about a college paper they never say you have to actually mean what you say in it, you just have to present the statement well and back it up :wink:. So maybe he was a fan then to? He would have had to watch it for 'research' anyway :wink:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
See that is the good thing about a college paper they never say you have to actually mean what you say in it, you just have to present the statement well and back it up :wink:. So maybe he was a fan then to? He would have had to watch it for 'research' anyway :wink:.
Eh, it was a homework assignment years ago. And yes he did watch it a few times for research. I mean he's still a bit skeptical about Sesame Street but he's not on a mission to destroy it or anything, hehe. And I saw him laughing quite a bit at the event. :wink:

Kiki

Reaction score
Eh, it was a homework assignment years ago. And yes he did watch it a few times for research. I mean he's still a bit skeptical about Sesame Street but he's not on a mission to destroy it or anything, hehe. And I saw him laughing quite a bit at the event. :wink:
Sounds like a cool event, Heralde! A while back, I went to a couple of screenings of some of Jim Henson's early work with my folks. At first, they thought we'd be the oldest ones there, getting the impression that it would be a "daggy kiddie thing" (fer the record, it was rated M15+... not sure why, mind you). But I was the youngest there I believe. The oldest, 70+. The average age was about 30s-40s. My parents got a real kick out of it, and they were laughing heaps! :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A while back, I went to a couple of screenings of some of Jim Henson's early work with my folks. At first, they thought we'd be the oldest ones there, getting the impression that it would be a "daggy kiddie thing" (fer the record, it was rated M15+... not sure why, mind you). But I was the youngest there I believe. The oldest, 70+. The average age was about 30s-40s. My parents got a real kick out of it, and they were laughing heaps! :smile:
Lol, that sounds cool too! And yeah my father was surprised at the diversity of ages at this event, from little kids to grown adults.

Reminds me of the Beatle conventions I used to go where even the 5 year olds were singing "Help!" Lol

mikebennidict

Reaction score
My parents don't mind the Muppets. My Dad used to watch TMS all the time during it's heyday, although my Mum on the other hand confessed that she found The Muppets a little daggy growing up, she was a teen of the 70s, so TMS and SST was quite popular at the time, but they just didn't take her fancy- and I respect that. :smile:

I don't think most teens would of watched SS because unlike TMS, SS is primarly aimed and preschoolers.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool event, Heralde! A while back, I went to a couple of screenings of some of Jim Henson's early work with my folks. At first, they thought we'd be the oldest ones there, getting the impression that it would be a "daggy kiddie thing" (fer the record, it was rated M15+... not sure why, mind you). But I was the youngest there I believe. The oldest, 70+. The average age was about 30s-40s. My parents got a real kick out of it, and they were laughing heaps! :smile:
They shouldn't be surprised given how far back all of his shows go :smile:. Fans don't just disappear after all :3

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think most teens would of watched SS because unlike TMS, SS is primarly aimed and preschoolers.
Probably not most teens, but then again Sesame Street was unique in that it was a kids show that was considered very hip and different, by adults as well as kids. And don't forget, some of the future puppeteers were teenagers or 20 year olds admiring the show before they got hired.

Gemini Draco

Reaction score
My whole family loves the Muppets. My mother is a chef and she loves the Sweadish Chef. We even have a clock in the kitchen with him on it. I rented the Muppet movie not too long ago and my parents came home near the end and they sat down and watched the rest of it then told me to go the special features so we could watch them. So, yeah, my parents love the Muppets. It is hard to believe that there is anyone who would not love the Muppets but maybe that is just me.