Need advice on adult puppet web-series

Onath

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So we have been busy working on some programming for a web network that puts out weekly episodes. We sent them a pilot episode and they all loved it and thought it was original for their networks and loved the puppets.

However, they felt that it seemed aged at a younger audience. The good news is that they liked the stuff we sent them so much that they want us to try and redo the pilot to make it aimed more at a college age group.

Now as many of you know puppets are often percieved as only for children. Which makes me and many others very sad. The few puppet shows that are aimed at adults do so by using lots of swears or sex. I would like to change this show slightly to make it more for adults. The ideas I have come up with so far are to change the voices to a more natural sounding voice opposed to cartoon and to change the set to look like a punk rock band members room or a college dorm room. If you guys have any other ideas please let me know.

I would also love it if you would point out some succesful adult puppetry that you like. I am a big fan of Gordon's TVTV and apollo's pad too. I would like to try and go down that path but in my own way.

But, I really want to stay from stuff like this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlbKprH61AE It is well executed just I don't feel I need to swear to get laughs.

Thanks I appreciate the help.

chrisfason

Reaction score
"fur tv" is really nothing more than shock puppetry. it's like, "woo, yeah, let's be all outlandish and vulgar for the sake of being outlandish and vulgar!"

the most successful tv shows, movies, books, comics, or whatever come from people writing and creating what they want to create, not what they think would sell. if you want to work to produce something for that college age crowd, simply do something that would entertain you on a college level (well, maybe not "simply").

there was talk way back when about a "muppet high" type tv series in development shortly before jim henson's untimely death. i think an idea like that could really fly and be fun to do. i think the original concept was to do a 1950's era "happy days" style show, but i think it would be cool to see a modern college campus populated with puppets and people alike. could be very awesome...

are those puppets of your own build? they look fantastic!

Onath

Reaction score
"fur tv" is really nothing more than shock puppetry. it's like, "woo, yeah, let's be all outlandish and vulgar for the sake of being outlandish and vulgar!"
That is the same thing I was thinking it. The swear words get old fast.

I guess what I need to know is what makes a show for adults or college age and what specifies it as for younger audiences or families?

are those puppets of your own build? they look fantastic!
IF you are referring to the ones on my youtube channel than yes.

Here is a quick demo reel of some of the stuff I have built and puppeteered http://vimeo.com/2703947 password is demoreel08

chrisfason

Reaction score
I guess what I need to know is what makes a show for adults or college age and what specifies it as for younger audiences or families?
i would think the situations addressed in the context of the program. college aged, i would think along the lines of dating and jobs and stuff or even beyond that into the types of programs you can catch during prime time network tv... i have no problem when my 5-year old wants to watch most stuff on the disney channel, but i wouldn't want him watching "house" or "prison break".

i dunno. i kinda stand by the "tell the stories you want to tell" mantra.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
The best thing you can do for your audience is to play to the top of their intelligence...that being said, my puppet shows don't do that because I prefer to play to the lowest of my own intelligence.

don't follow my lead.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The best thing you can do for your audience is to play to the top of their intelligence...that being said, my puppet shows don't do that because I prefer to play to the lowest of my own intelligence.
The best is when you combine the two, and end up confusing everyone.

... Actually, that's kinda what I do in my shows. Yipe!

Confusion = funny... sometimes.

RockerRob

Reaction score
I actually like the feel of the show so far, but it could use some change. I agree that you don't need to make things look like college to play to the college crowd. All the swearing is definitely unnecessary and it can be seen as unintelligent by... most people. Steer clear of any MTV type shows because we all know that only 12-17 year olds are watching that stuff. The hard fact is that you just need to do something original that you love and put it out there, and it might work and it might fail.

One thing I can think of to come up with new ideas is to create a show concept that you really like that would work as a sitcom with human actors and just stick puppets in it instead. That way, it will be easier to separate the substantially good ideas from the puppet gimmicks.

Good luck and I am really happy to see more creative origional puppet sereis!

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
And LOADS of proctology jokes. You need those. And the whole "I feel like someone unseen force is controlling me" jokes..those are good too--probably 5 per episode. And you can't forget to throw in the ole "do you know where that hand has been" jokes either... 12 per show at least.

right? right? am I right?

muppetinsider

Reaction score
Muppet High! Haven't heard that in a while. The problem with that is it's too late 80's, like saved by the bell sounding. It would not work today.

mike short

Reaction score
What do I know? Last week at improv practice, my puppet said "lady-parts-that-starts-with-V-word" about 60-odd times.

Well, I do know that setting is ultimately irrelevant. I mean, Bear in the Big Blue House is about a bear who lives on his own in a house, something only adults can do. Between the Lions features an adult mom & dad lion pair as the main players. Heck, Sesame Street takes place all on a city street. These shows are for kids, so obviously the age and locale of the characters doesn't really matter. So you won't solve your problem just by putting the characters in college.

Stacey is right, play to the top of your intelligence. Figure out a story that you want to tell and tell it, truthfully and honestly. Now, this is kind of abstract advice because I haven't seen the original work created.

Seriously, I can't say "lady-parts-that-starts-with-V-word" on these boards? It's a real-life medical term, just like "*****" and "*****-**" and "*** * ***** ** ****." By the way, I'm a professional. When I say "lady-parts-that-starts-with-V-word" it's funny.