NY Times: Fuzzy Renaissance

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
But they arn't just sitting on their bespoke business suited butts, they are getting up and doing something about it!
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. They've gotten up, they've started turning the wheels. THINGS ARE HAPPENING! The Fuzzy Renaissance is coming! Do you think THE NEW YORK TIMES would publish a HUGE article about it if it wasn't? :smirk:

anythingmuppet said:
I know I've been relatively quiet on my own personal beliefs of how valid these projects are, but it is now I am fully convinced that the Muppets are striking back with a vengeance! THIS has made my day! THIS is the positivity we need again! No need for gloom, friends, because we can be happy once again! :excited: VIVA LA RENAISSANCE! :big_grin:
Oui, oui! Viva la Renaissance indeed! BRING IT ON!

GO MUPPETS! ! ! !

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
D'Snowth, I get where you're coming from, I truly do. It's hard to get all giddy with excitement when we've seen these kinds promises before. Just like the article said and as we are all aware there are many projects, ideas, etc that never saw the light of day. It's frustrating. And so like you, I'm on the "wait and see" side of the coin. However, when fans aren't enthusiastic about all the "hype" or "promises" what does that accomplish? It just demonstrates that maybe we (as fans) don't care, that nothing they (Disney or otherwise) can do or say will ever be good enough for us. Instead if we get excited about the talk of new merchandise, shows, media exposure, etc. it let's them know the fans are paying attention and care about what's going on.

So while this article might just be full of false hope, why don't we take this opportunity to keep Disney accountable? When merchandise doesn't arrive we can then say, "Hey, where is the Kermit skateboard? I really wanted to buy one." Or "I thought the Muppets were going to such-and-such, when is that coming out?"

Let's face it, Disney is only going to keep the Muppets in the spotlight if they are making money on them. And this sounds like their attempt to do that. Do you think Disney likes Hannah Montana or High School Musical? Does it matter? No, they make Disney money... lots and lots of money and that's all they care about. Like Annika said, that's show business.

So while I might not get all my hopes up, I'm very optimistic and realistic and I'll stay that way until proven otherwise. As a fan, I want the Muppets back in the spotlight, and when they fulfill these "promises" I'm going to back up my optimism with my pocketbook.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If the Muppets could succeed today without Disney and without marketting...then where are they? Henson, and Disney did nothing with them for a few years, and just *look* around you! Everyone has forgotten them! They simply *didn't* succeed when they weren't marketted, or they would have a tv show now, and you'd be looking at Muppet movies every three years.
You're right and marketing is important. I just think it's a mistake for the companies to have ignored the past. I don't buy the idea that today's kids aren't interested, and to ignore time honored material is rarely a successful idea.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If the Muppets could succeed today without Disney and without marketting...then where are they? Henson, and Disney did nothing with them for a few years, and just *look* around you! Everyone has forgotten them!
You are right! I couldn't agree more. :smile: Henson (post-Jim) did little when they had ownership. They did build the brand a little bit, but they were not equipped to maintain such mainstream prominence and they're still struggling. I hope the Fraggle film takes off. They deserve the success.

I remember when Muppets Tonight was on the air - none of my college age friends knew about it! Isn't that a key demographic? Urkel fans knew, because the show held an adjacent timeslot. Other than the Sandra Bullock episode bomb-in-the-theater episode controversy there was no exposure. Half the shows were pulled from ABC's Friday night purgatory and burned off on the Disney Channel. There were some big stars too! Muppet Treasure Island wasn't promoted much on television (at least in San Francisco) either.

This is a real genuine push from a company with the means to do so. It sounds as if they're willing to be more vigilant that the Muppets catch on and take hold. This is a layered structured plan, not just a one-shot promotional opportunity destined to get left behind. It aint just the Frog tapdancing his heart out alone this time. The Mouse is really trying here.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well if you ask anyone who works with the Muppets this is a vrey exiting time.

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you ask anyone who works with the Muppets this is a vrey exiting time.
I hope that is a typo and you meant "exciting" and not that anyone who works with the Muppets is looking to start new careers elsewhere.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
It aint just the Frog tapdancing his heart out alone this time. The Mouse is really trying here.
*stands up and cheers!* Brilliantly said, Jamie! You've illustrated my thoughts exactly. I just went out and bought the actual paper and the pictures are beautiful and the article is just wonderful. The Muppets are back, baby! And we get to say we liked 'em before they were cool again. :big_grin: :cool:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
WOW! I've havnt been on MC all weekend cause our Town had it yearly Fall Fest (got over with tonight)... SUCH GRRRREAT NEWS! :smile::excited: My eyes did get a lil watery haha.... Oh yeah! I bought 2 Mickey & Pooh mascot knock offs a few year ago on eBay (yeahhhh... Im well aware I could get in trouble by the "Disney police"... but.. i WASN'T gettin paid or charged people to take pics with us!) But I was meaning to by new costumes (a Muppet if they had one on ebay and NOT a Sesame Street Muppet) But I have one of thos Naco Muppet plush from a few years ago a 15inch Kermit and u can pose him from a yead sale..well I was holding (while I was in the Mickey costume) him with his arm up makin it look like he was waving...and Everyone was yelling to us... "Hey Mickey" "I love u kermit" "hi pooh" and whatnot...then this woman with her lil 3 year old wanted a pic with JUST kermit! :smile: and the lil girl called him "kermie" the mother then goes we just seem him this morning.... I take it Disney channel ran a clip of Studio DC?

but cool I CAN'T wait for the NEW Macy's Muppet float!