Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
LOVE your idea on Robin! I think that would be such a good plot stirrer to have him built up to a teen frog with some teen problems. I'd love to see a cute teen love story.
I don't know if I'd like to see a teenage Robin. I just don't know if he'd be Robin that way. I identify very much with the way Robin is in The Muppet Show, and I don't know if I'd personally like to see that big of a change in him. I do think change is good, and the evolution of a character is important, I just think a major part of who Robin is now would be lost as a teenage character.

However, Scooter - now there's a teenager! :wink:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I mind about the voices. I don't know - it just irks me when they are off. Watching the new third season, I hope they don't bring back Gladys... she's awful.

Has anyone noticed on the back cover that Kermit's hands are really weird. They are like CGI strange. I hope Disney doesn't CGI this new film and they keep it more organic!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Thats interesting I think I would be more happy having Dr. Theeth and other back, and almost don't care what they sound like.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
For some reason I think Dr. Teeth is easier to duplicate. There is something missing from Piggy these days - it's like a low grumble/roughness - hard to explain. They're doing a good job though - i'm not complaining.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:smile: Voice and Performance:
Steve has definitely grown into the Kermit role. He really is the hardest character to capture from voice to performance. Kermit is such a simple sock-shape that every nuance shows. It will always be a different Kermit, but an excepted and beloved approximation.

I've said it many times before that a Muppet performance is more than just the voice. It's about the movement and spirit of the character. Each Muppet has taken years to evolve to their current state so when new performers are assigned to a classic character it takes time to achieve the appropriate balance. That requires practice and learning on the job in actual performances. Much gets scrutinized by all of us fans, however the puppeteer should just keep moving forward.

:concern: Every Muppet evolves. Pepe was much more high-strung and angsty on Muppets Tonight than he is now. Gonzo has gone from child-like and down-beat to many shades of wild and zany and now seems quite comfortable with himself.

:crazy: Effects Usage:
I'm certain there will be an infusion of CGI for some shots. Why not? Jim Henson would have embraced it - but in its place. Segel reportedly wants to keep the classic feel of the Muppets and that means the time tested practical puppetry from the Muppeteers.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
That shot on the back of the box of Kermit peeking through the curtain is strange. It doesn't look like his hands are proportionate or maybe it's more that his hands look like the facehugger from Aliens gripping the curtain.

I would say hey to the NO on the CGI - I'm so over it. Yes, Henson would definitely embrace it but, it's so overdone these days and in terrible ways. I would much prefer to see them use the muppets in original ways without CGI. It would make it more interesting. I think back in the days without CGI filmmakers were forced to be more creative.

Your comments Frogboy about character development are dead on. I love that Gonzo is more comfy with himself now. It's like he grew up.

pattywack

Reaction score
I mind about the voices. I don't know - it just irks me when they are off. Watching the new third season, I hope they don't bring back Gladys... she's awful.

Has anyone noticed on the back cover that Kermit's hands are really weird. They are like CGI strange. I hope Disney doesn't CGI this new film and they keep it more organic!
On the contrary for me! I want Gladys back, I want everyone back!

Yeah it's definitley a lot about the spirit! I think all of the muppet performer changes so far have been done very well, so let's just hope that continues.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would say hey to the NO on the CGI - I'm so over it. Yes, Henson would definitely embrace it but, it's so overdone these days and in terrible ways. I would much prefer to see them use the muppets in original ways without CGI. It would make it more interesting. I think back in the days without CGI filmmakers were forced to be more creative.

Your comments Frogboy about character development are dead on. I love that Gonzo is more comfy with himself now. It's like he grew up.
On CG
I was more thinking of minimal CG usage totaling less than a minute of screen time for a shot or two - not like it's being exploited now in other projects. It's not an all or nothing proposition. I'm an "everything in its place" sort of guy. I don't see the Muppets ever going too far down the CG road. Well, there is the opening of the Henson Hour, but much of that is sticking puppetry inside of CG. Nonetheless, there will likely be a minimal bit of modern compositing including computer effects. I'm fine with that as long as 99% of it is practical puppetry and any effects are used to enhance the film rather than add a gimmick.

There have been experiments with virtual puppetry through the history of Henson and the Muppets, but it is always the moments born out of traditional craftsmanship and puppetry that are the most memorable. That is one of the greatest things that sets the Muppets apart from all other brands of entertainment these days.

On Gonzo
I too like how Gonzo is this sort of mellowed crazy. He still has his wild moments, but most of the time he seems like the veteran weirdo.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I don't think we have much to worry about the whole computer animation debate. Segel has been very outspoken about his love for puppetry, so I doubt he'll want much CGI in his film, I'm thinking we'll see a whole lot of, if not a flim of all puppetry. :big_grin:

And yes, I agree with you about Gonzo, he can still have his crazy moments, but yes he is mellowed out now, it's a very interesting character transition, I think.

Beauregard

Reaction score
For some reason I think Dr. Teeth is easier to duplicate. There is something missing from Piggy these days - it's like a low grumble/roughness - hard to explain. They're doing a good job though - i'm not complaining.
Excellent point, U.Muppetty. Piggy did used to have a roughness in her voice which isn't as evident now, but she did also lose that in MFS when Frank was still voicing her, but not puppeting.

I think that rumbly nature to her voice used to give her a certain power that maybe she lacks now.

That said, I am a huge fan of Eric because he brought back (if not her voice exactly) her nature, her carisma, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.