Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Two years...but all that time we'll be feeding of snippets of information from the pre-production, the set, etc, and excitment will definately not be going away anytime soon.

Plus, tv appearences will up. As well as other mediums, such as maybe a new McDonald's happy meal toy range? I'd love that!

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I agree Sarah - it's definitely in the two year range and actually that is pushing it.

Your figures on production are almost right - sometimes pre can be shorter.

To write it varies too. I think Stallone wrote Rocky in two nights on a napkin or something crazy like that. It's basically 120 pages of dialogue and action. Basically it is written as fast as the dialogue is flowing. But, then there are re-writes, it all depends.

Disney can pretty much bust films out overnight but, like you said this is the muppets which may take a little longer.

Anything could happen though - there's a lot of moolah and magic in Hollywood. He could have already started - get a working script and greenlight within 3 months. They could throw it in pre for 6 and shoot and we'll have it in a year and a half... HURRY UP DISNEY... my eyes are crossing with excitement.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I know people have mixed feelings about him, but Jim Hill said that he's looking into his Disney contacts to find out more about this deal and what's in store for the Muppets, so we have a little bit more information that will be coming our way hopefully next week.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I know people have mixed feelings about him, but Jim Hill said that he's looking into his Disney contacts to find out more about this deal and what's in store for the Muppets, so we have a little bit more information that will be coming our way hopefully next week.
Jim Hill...yes, mixed feelings. But often he does know what he's talking about. I'll be interested to see what he has to say!

Bea:zany:{Go Muppets}regard

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:smile: These are the things we can likely assume about the direction of the new film from what has been stated in various articles.

* It will be set in present day.
* It will be timeless (transcending both retro and/or trendy).
* The Muppets will play themselves (instead of alter-egos).
* The group will band together for a cause and/or show.
* Likelyhood of original music sung by Muppets.
* Famous human actor(s) playing it straight-on.
* It will likely be released Spring 2010 (2 years & proven season).
* This is a fan production.
* It will be for all ages like the Muppet Show was.
* Learning from past mistakes (dumbing down, bad taste etc).
* Inclusion of current Muppeteers.
* Possibility of some past fan-fave characters.
* The confidence, marketing and backing of Disney.
* No Snoop Dogg, Ashanti, Kelly Osbourne or Girls Gone Wild jokes.

Hmm, what are other concerns? :confused: :eek:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Obviosuly my first convern is, "Will they rebuild Beau for a background character?" But he was in VMC not that long ago, so maybe he's still around...

And that's a ridiculously selfish little concern anyway.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Aw, not selfish. We all have our personal favorites. And hey, Beau did have a big part in GMC, which this guy keeps going on about. :wink:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think one thing that will be interesting to see is how he plays the Kermit and Piggy relationship. I personaly think that they are a great couple and should really be together, and Kermit should act more like he did in MTM where he really needed Piggy and she needed him. It was also really great in that movie seeing Piggy step up when Kermit was missing and not rembering who he was how she steped up and led the group. I really think thats the Muppets right there.Kermit and Piggy as the leaders of the Muppets.

And on a side not i to would love to see Beau back I would also love to see some of the recasting of some of Jerry's Muppets that will be very interesting.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/03-18-08_3?GT1=7701&silentchk=1&

He IS a fan of The Muppets! YAY! Someone is finally on our side!
Okay, best quote from the article:

"The old Muppet movies were written as though they were proper movies," Segel says. "They weren't novelty acts because there were puppets in it. It was like Kermit trying to put on a big Broadway musical in 'The Muppets Take Manhattan.' Or 'The Great Muppet Caper'? Come on! Charles Grodin is so good in it. I want to bring it back to that. Like those early '80s movies with a proper plot and it's the Muppets putting on a show. It's not a hard formula."
**faints from happiness** HE GETS IT, he totally gets it. Sometimes it's hard to conceive that any people outside of the very small internet muppet fandom are hardcore fans, or that they understand what makes the muppet movies from the 80's so special. THIS GUY KNOWS, and he is going to bring it, and he was passionate enough to pitch it himself because it wouldn't happen otherwise.

This is gonna be great. :zany:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
**faints from happiness** HE GETS IT, he totally gets it. Sometimes it's hard to conceive that any people outside of the very small internet muppet fandom are hardcore fans, or that they understand what makes the muppet movies from the 80's so special. THIS GUY KNOWS, and he is going to bring it, and he was passionate enough to pitch it himself because it wouldn't happen otherwise.
Yeah I know, that really surprised me! But it's nice to finally see your feelings supported on paper (or at least on the web) lol. ::stick_out_tongue:rays very hard:: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.