Shrek Spoiler: Wal-Mart ruined a big surprise

lael

Reaction score
I still have a ginormus video collection in storage. I bought a lot of them from a video store closing actually. there are some real gems in there tho. old worhal art flicks & hammer productions & TONS of 50's/60's horror! I've only watched a few of them, then lost interest. so there they sit. in the garage taking up space. do you think they'll be antiques one day? I'll keep'm anyways. I may get around to putting them all on discs. who knows.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think the reason that video rental is/may be dying, is because within a few monthes you can buy blockbusters for about £3 or £5 second hand, which is about the same as a weeks rental.

Which would you go for?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
That's interesting how that used to work. I have no idea new titles costs that much. You don't see them for that much to parches anymore like that. Especially with Wall-mart being so huge now, which takes up even less retail space for it's movies and has even fewer titles. But big chains also shut out most of the smaller independent chains that were around before that had a better selection. But downloading it the future and the end of it, You can't go further in quality, technology and convenience then that, All this HD, blue-ray stuff it more of a fad, But down loading will become more popular and out last all of it.
Yeah, the way it worked was

New title out on VHS - $89.95-$99.99 (roughly)
2-3 months later, store sells used rental tape (store determined retail price)
2-3 months later, brand-new copy of tape, available at retail stores at affordable price.

Of course now, since DVDs are affordable, video stores AND retail stores get the same titles the same day, and the consumer won't have to wait several months to own his or her favorite movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But the thing of it is, however that may be, DVD will not ALWAYS be the first choice, because believe it or not, a lot of people out there (including myself) like the experience of seeing a good movie at the theaters, and not only that, but it gives you an idea of whether or not you might like the movie enough to own it on DVD or not.

Not only that, but also in most cases, a new DVD release costs more than seeing the actual movie in theaters (NOT including those goodies like popcorn, chocolate bars, sodas, et cetera), so if you buy the DVD and it turns out you don't like the movie, you just wasted $19 or more on something that'll end up just sitting there on your shelf for a long time.

Before I agree, I have one word for you... RENTALS. Especially with Rentals getting cheaper and cheaper.

Myself, having a cheap, small TV I would HATE to see anything on it for the first time, and not in a big loud movie theater with other people. Of course, I get choosey when I want to see a film when it comes to that. So far this year I have only seen TMNT and ATHF. The latter mainly because if you don't see something like that on the big screen, there's no point, and it's just an extended episode.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
So far this year I have only seen TMNT and ATHF. The latter mainly because if you don't see something like that on the big screen, there's no point, and it's just an extended episode.
How was Aqua Teen, btw? I'm a big fan of the show!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I get the point about rentals, people, I just making a point about how DVD won't always be the first choice.

Teheheman

Reaction score
It is with the sucky movies that people are making now. These movies aren't that good and I don't wanna waste that much in theaters when the movie's gonna come out in a few months anyways. With extra stuff.

Daniel

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think the reason that video rental is/may be dying, is because within a few monthes you can buy blockbusters for about £3 or £5 second hand, which is about the same as a weeks rental.

Which would you go for?
That's a good point, Beau. Plus they now have to compete with mail services like Netflix. Pretty soon you'll be able to just sit at your TV and rent from a service available through the Television set, instantly. Like papperview services and things except you get to own it.

I still have a ginormus video collection in storage. I bought a lot of them from a video store closing actually. there are some real gems in there tho. old worhal art flicks & hammer productions & TONS of 50's/60's horror! I've only watched a few of them, then lost interest. so there they sit. in the garage taking up space. do you think they'll be antiques one day? I'll keep'm anyways. I may get around to putting them all on discs. who knows.
Now that would be interesting. VHS tapes becoming Antiques. Makes me feel kind of old.:stick_out_tongue:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I used to have a huuuuuuuuuuge collection of videotapes. I sold most of them. Actually, my ex-manager at the video store bought quite a few off me.

I should have held on to some of them, though. A few of my favorites aren't out on DVD yet.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah! That's the thing that bothered me about DVD titles when they first got so popular. Only the major titles were put out first.