This TMM line bugs me....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am not the kind of person who would normally nitpick at random lines and things in a movie, as it ruins my enjoyment, but I really have trouble with Gonzo's line:

"I'm going to India to become a movie star" (or something to that effect)
They then suggest to Gonzo to follow them to hollywood to become a movie star, and Gonzo adds "Sure! If you want to do it the easy way."

Why does that bug me? India produces more films in a year than the US can in 10 years (probably an exaggeration, but they make a crap load of films). Considering there are more films produced in India, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be easier to get a film role over there.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I know India has a thriving movie industry now, but I wasn't alive in the 70s so I don't know if they did then. That could account for the line.

Also, doesn't Gonzo almost go to India in TMS? And that's why he sings "My Way"? But they really wanted Gonzo the Mediocre or something? ... I think that's too elaborate a plot for me to make up out of forged memories haha...

anytimepally

Reaction score
Most of the movies produced in India have Indian actors, just like most movies in Hollywood feature American actors.. it's always easier to become an actor in your own country than to go somewhere else and do it.. unless, of course, you're Clint Eastwood :smile:

Also, doesn't Gonzo almost go to India in TMS? And that's why he sings "My Way"? But they really wanted Gonzo the Mediocre or something? ... I think that's too elaborate a plot for me to make up out of forged memories haha...
yes.. that did happen :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Muppets From Space behind-the-scenes book actually has a note somewhere saying that india produces twice as many movies a year as Hollywood does.

matleo

Reaction score
there's actually an interview with either Jerry Juhl or Jim where they address that line. When they wrote the script they wanted to send Gonzo somewhere that they thought would be an odd or unusual place to make movies and India seemed like a good candidate. It was only after the film was released that they realized their faux pas. But being jerry Juhl and Jim Henson they were good natured enough about it and kind of laughed off the mistake. I guess you can't get it right ALL the time.

--matleo

peyjenk

Reaction score
there's actually an interview with either Jerry Juhl or Jim where they address that line. When they wrote the script they wanted to send Gonzo somewhere that they thought would be an odd or unusual place to make movies and India seemed like a good candidate. It was only after the film was released that they realized their faux pas. But being jerry Juhl and Jim Henson they were good natured enough about it and kind of laughed off the mistake. I guess you can't get it right ALL the time.
But Gonzo specifies Bombay, India, which is where the Indian film industry is based. That seems too close and too specific to be a coincidence.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, it didn't occur to me until it was mentioned here. Even though I've heard of Bollywood movies. I imagine that's the case with a lot of people.

Drtooth

Reaction score

--matleo
Makes sense. They just did the joke without thinking. It's funny how it works out that way, isn't it?

peyjenk

Reaction score
Again, though, it seems to be too much of a coincidence. Out of all the millions of cities in the world, they just happen to pull out of thin air the one place that exactly fits the situation?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think that's part of the joke. Bombay, India IS where you go to become a movie star, and it would probably be easier with the number of movies they make. So, the following only makes sense:

"You don't go to Bombay to become a movie star! You go where we're going, Hollywood!"
"Sure, if you want to do it the easy way."