The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Unless there's special features that involve interviews with Ross Bagdasarian Jr. and/or Janice Karman, I don't think I'll be buying it... I was kind of disappointed in the movie.
You know they actually originally did the voices of the chipmunks in this movie. But Fox told then that they wanted voice younger voice actors for publicity reasons. Go figure:stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My partner is buying the new Chipmunks on Blu-Ray. I'm hoping for some fun exclusive special features. :smile: I'll also get to freeze-frame the animation to see how well it was done.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know they actually originally did the voices of the chipmunks in this movie. But Fox told then that they wanted voice younger voice actors for publicity reasons. Go figure:stick_out_tongue:
Yeah, and originally, Ross was actually going to play Dave, himself, but FOX thought he looked too old (his hair IS just a little gray from what I've seen), so they went through several different people who they approached to play Dave until Jason Lee finally accepted, mainly because he found out they approached Bill Murray as well and he turned it down, as apparently Murray is one of Lee's biggest influences.

What I don't understand is why they approached Bill Murray, Tim Allen, and John Travolta (to name a few) to play Dave... aren't they all a little "too old" to play him as well?

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why they approached Bill Murray, Tim Allen, and John Travolta (to name a few) to play Dave... aren't they all a little "too old" to play him as well?
Dear god... if Tim Allen or John Travolta were in it, I'd refuse to watch it out of principle. I still say that, with the right make up, they could have and should have gotten Bob Sagat. Dude's a dead ringer for Dave. Esepecially with his nose and hair.

I'm just glad it wasn't Jim Belushi. He's in everything Disney makes now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dear god... if Tim Allen or John Travolta were in it, I'd refuse to watch it out of principle. I still say that, with the right make up, they could have and should have gotten Bob Sagat. Dude's a dead ringer for Dave. Esepecially with his nose and hair.

Hee-hee-hee.

Yeah, I guess I could see Saget as Dave... I wasn't too keen on Jason Lee being him anyway, but I guess it was him, or Steve Carell, and I REALLY think Steve wouldn't be right for the part.

Teheheman

Reaction score
The thing about that is that they didn't want Ross to play Dave because he wasn't a "NAME" John Travolta, Tim Allen, Bill Murray, they're all big names. They didn't want somebody who nobody has heard of, they wanted somebody who people knew of. Somebody who they could market the movie around being David Seville instead of somebody nobody but huge fans of the show knew.

Daniel

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, and originally, Ross was actually going to play Dave, himself, but FOX thought he looked too old (his hair IS just a little gray from what I've seen), so they went through several different people who they approached to play Dave until Jason Lee finally accepted, mainly because he found out they approached Bill Murray as well and he turned it down, as apparently Murray is one of Lee's biggest influences.

You know that Bill Maury was originally up for Buzz Light year, he said he would have loved to have done it, but he lost the produces number.:smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The thing about that is that they didn't want Ross to play Dave because he wasn't a "NAME" John Travolta, Tim Allen, Bill Murray, they're all big names. They didn't want somebody who nobody has heard of, they wanted somebody who people knew of. Somebody who they could market the movie around being David Seville instead of somebody nobody but huge fans of the show knew.

Daniel
That makes sense... I mean, I didn't think Ross looked all THAT "too old" to play Dave, so yeah, you're right, they probably had them get someone else with a "name" to be Dave instead of him, and that's probably the REAL reason why they wanted actors with "names" to provide the voices instead of Ross and Janice being "too old" to do the voices as well.

Redsonga

Reaction score

OMG The Chipmunks + Bob Sagat=my childhood tv in a nutshell :excited: ! They have no idea how well that would have gone other with us early 90's kids :smile: . Something in me thinks they missed out on something really great by targeting todays kids and not oldie fans *grabs walker* In my day....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Something in me thinks they missed out on something really great by targeting todays kids and not oldie fans *grabs walker* In my day....
Well, that's the way these things work, Red; they keep trying to market nostalgia to today's audience, but they ruin it my trying to "modernize" them with sexually oriented jokes and situations, really poor writing, making the dudes seem like players, while making the dudettes seem like little skanks, because apparently that's supposed to "entertain" today's kids and stuff, which makes me a little nervous about what they're going to do with the Chipettes in the sequel they're planning on doing.