The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought Space Jam was pretty cool myself, but then again, I guess it just didn't appeal to fans who grew up with the Looney Tunes, like how fans who grew up with the Chipmunks don't seem to care for this movie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What I find annoying is that some of the humor that I find appauling or at least not funny, people love because it "appeals to adults" when normally it's just as immature as the toilet jokes. :frown:
I agree, you put into words what I've been trying to say for some time, lol. A lot of people defend certain movies (and certain recent Muppet projects) saying "The Muppets always appealed to adults!" And they are right about that point; Jim did appeal to adults. But what we are seeing recently from movies like Cat in the Hat and recent Muppet movies, is not adult, nor is it childlike. It is childish and cruel.

There is a difference between childlike and childish. Childlike is being able to appreciate the simple things in life and keeping a special innocence about you, even as a grown up. Childish means you're a teenager who never matures, never takes responsiblity and never makes an inch of good difference in the world.

The recent Superman movie was pretty good. But the characters were all very young looking, like they'd just come out of high school or college. I found it impossible to believe that that Lois Lane had ever written the clever and grown up headline "I spent the night with Superman." It's children pretending to be adults and not even coming close. And as I said, it's almost funny to watch these new movies even try.

Our society will continue to ignore and reject the past, and we will end up with nothing.

Btw, I didn't mind Space Jam, lol. Not as edgy as the original Looney Tunes, but I could sit threw it. :smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
I thought Space Jam was pretty cool myself, but then again, I guess it just didn't appeal to fans who grew up with the Looney Tunes, like how fans who grew up with the Chipmunks don't seem to care for this movie.
That's just it. But I had never noticed any change in the charcthers during the film. I've read how many fans were upset that the Tunes personalities were changed or something, and how Lola wasn't even considered a real "Looney Tune"(never injured, acts crazy, etc.) To me, they acted just as looney(if even better) as they've always acted.

So Looney Tunes fans, what went wrong?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't consider Lola a real Looney Tune either; she was probably just there to provide gender equality. And so very often when they stick a female in comedies, they have nothing to do. They are not funny; they contribute nothing. As Nichelle Nicols from Star Trek once said, "Televison doesn't know how to use women. We're just fill ins." Sadly, that is still true today.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've read that a lot of Looney Tunes fans felt that if there was going to be a female counterpart for Bugs in that movie, then it should've been his original love interest, Honey Bunny.

Telly

Reaction score
**** I forgot about Cat in the Hat...and I even bought it on DVD (without seeing it). From what I remember, I liked it. I'll even have to pop it in one of these days again.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's fine, I mean we have to remember that art is very subjective and we are all entitled to our own opinions. :smile:

For my own part, I will pop in my DVD of old cartoon "The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat." :smile:

Telly

Reaction score
Oooh! I was just thinkin about that cartoon, heralde! I've only seen it once and I don't remember if I liked it or not.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it's funny because it was probably one of the first Dr. Seuss cartoons I ever saw, and for years I thought it was perfectly natural for the Grinch and the Cat to be paired together. But in reality I don't think they ever were again, lol.

But anyway, I really liked it the songs are clever and moving (by Joe Raposo I believe) and it's worth it just for the scene where the Cat attempts to psychoanalyze the Grinch!

And the Cat has some of the best lines. Such as when the Grinch brands about his evil machine that distorts sounds, the unconcerned Cat replies, "Such things never happen in the middle of the day! And if they do, I ignore them, and they go away!" lol

Teheheman

Reaction score
God, the Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat. I hadn't heard of that one in a LONG dang time. It's been a while since I last saw that one. It's been so long in fact, I don't remember what it's about, but I'll watch it again and remember if I can find it on DVD.

Daniel