The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I love it! That'd be sweet if it was at least #2 for this weekend as well!
I agree. The film really has a sweet heart bigger than merchandising. In fact, there really isn't much merchandise at all.

The fact that a film continues to do this well weeks after release is largely due to repeat visits. That shows people like it enough to shell out dough for high ticket prices instead of waiting for Netflix or DVD purchase at bargain outlets. That's usually the cheapest way to go for families today.

I expected this picture to have a high initial box office and drop quickly. Seeing that it isn't getting another competitor this week (except for the currently acclaimed, but underperforming Waterhorse) expect it to remain in the top five for another week. Maybe two.

I’m just glad an enjoyable film is getting support. There’s much mediocre garbage out there, past and present, that makes far too much money (cough…cough, Happy Feet, Shrek the Third, Jim Carrey movies).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I expected this picture to have a high initial box office and drop quickly. Seeing that it isn't getting another competitor this week (except for the currently acclaimed, but underperforming Waterhorse) expect it to remain in the top five for another week. Maybe two.
Indeed. All it takes is for a strong family film to come out during that holiday period, and you're set. I agree that I couldn't imagine the film doing that well. in fact, I'm loosening up and I intend to see it now.

But then again, Cat in the Hat did undeservedly well back in 2003, allong with the Christmas film "Elf," while the underrated Looney Tunes Back in Action flagged fairly quickly. Shame, since that was a better movie than both of them put together (I tried to watch Elf when it was broadcast on TV, and all it did was prove to me that I can't stand Will Ferrel movies... though I did like Anchorman and his appearance in Zoolander).

I guess the tie in with "Christmas, don't be late" was a heavy Christmas influenced draw as well... which, unfortunately, explains why Fred Claus is still around. I frankly got sick of the trailer in mid August.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What do you mean "undeservedly well"? Them's dang good movies!
Cat in the Hat is appalling in so many ways, but I like Elf. Can’t help it. I passed theatrically on the pic, but have watched it on cable a few times.

I have my problems with the whole of Looney Tunes Back in Action but it's a far better film than the tacky Space-Jam. That film inspires cynicism about the nasty marketing parts of the entertainment industry. That and they shut-out Chuck Jones! There were so many substantive creative nods to him in BIA so that made me happy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Cat in the Hat was an embarrasment to the book and to the genre of movies, at least in my opinion, heh.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Cat in the Hat was an embarrasment to the book and to the genre of movies, at least in my opinion, heh.
The fact that there's an STD joke by this movie's Cat in the Hat himself shows a gross lack of understanding, respect and consideration for the much beloved book and author. It was like the Cat's smarmy cousin they don't like to talk about, but always seem to lend him money. Meh. It was beautifully photographed, but that's to be expected. I'm very open-minded about film and culture but there's a time and place. That film made me want to take a shower afterward, but I still didn't feel clean!

It is rare for me to give a film an F grade, but Cat gets an F- if that's even possible.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't believe you guys! The Cat in the Hat was HILARIOUS! The only reason why it didn't do as well as How the Grinch Stole Christmas is because it wasn't a Christmas movie, and when you're doing a Christmas movie, you can't really use any kind of rude, potty-humor because it would be rather disrespectful, and would be considered in bad taste (unless you're Adam Sandler).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It was like the Cat's smarmy cousin they don't like to talk about, but always seem to lend him money...I'm very open-minded about film and culture but there's a time and place.
Agreed, that's exactly what it was like, lol. And it's not about being open-minded. There's a difference between clever adult humor and immature toilet humor. Cat in the Hat was jaded and cruel in its humor (as are many of the current Muppet projects). Just because we have the freedom to make toilet or mean jokes, doesn't mean we always should. I don't see this kind of humor as being sophisticated. I see it as a teenager desperately trying and failing to appear more grown up.

There's no sense of innocence in movies anymore. It's like innocence is a bad word. Well innocence doesn't have to mean "weak or childish." One definiton of innocence is, "Freedom from sin, moral wrong, or guilt through lack of knowledge of evil" (dictionary.com). Jim Henson felt innocence is what made his characters, even his villians and even his edgy characters, so endearing. Even the villians were never "really" evil, they were simply ridiculous or misguided, which is far more mature than just the straight forward "good and evil."

I don't blame TV or movies for kids' behavior. But I do say that kids are very impressionable. And if they aren't receiving the proper guidance at home or within themselves, movies like this will just encourage bad behavior.

The movie version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas was nice and sweet. But no where near as sophisticated as the book or cartoon. It's even sort of humorous to watch these movies try and be as good as their predecessors.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly with you, heralde. Family films of today turn to much to kiddie humor and cheap laughs. Innocence seems to be frowned upon and somehow, innocence has been mistaken for immaturity. But The Muppets have shown us that innocence doesn't have to be for small children or something that requires a lesson of some kind shoved down your throat.

What I find annoying is that some of the humor that I find appauling or at least not funny, people love because it "appeals to adults" when normally it's just as immature as the toilet jokes. :frown:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Cat in the Hat is appalling in so many ways, but I like Elf. Can’t help it. I passed theatrically on the pic, but have watched it on cable a few times.

"I have my problems with the whole of Looney Tunes Back in Action but it's a far better film than the tacky Space-Jam." That film inspires cynicism about the nasty marketing parts of the entertainment industry. That and they shut-out Chuck Jones! There were so many substantive creative nods to him in BIA so that made me happy.
Why is that so many people disliked Space Jam? I considered it and LTBIA both to be a real treat, so what was the major "flaw" that occured when Space Jam was being made? Besides, I liked Lola Bunny, hehe.:big_grin: